Post Game, Charlotte vs. Tweetsie

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/12/18/5394132/reserves-rally-charlotte-49ers.html

highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU1pIxG--NM

postgame presser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omN_3TKCXmQ

My reaction after Blakley’s drive and dish to Henry for the score:

Gonzo posted on their board that losing by ten to us is a moral victory. :))

I don’t like the slow starts that we have had this season, but in years past we could never come back like we have done time and again this season. Dorn and Woods bring great energy off the bench.

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:17, topic:29262”][quote=“SteauA, post:9, topic:29262”]Struggled to beat a shitty team once again. Saturday will be brutal unless we can play our best basketball.

Major back to .500!!![/quote]

I thought that you didn’t care anymore?[/quote]

I don’t, does that mean I can’t post?

I stated two facts and a prediction.

I actually really enjoyed watching tonight. Didn’t react to anything that was happening in any way. Quite relaxing.

I would consider Davidson a “WTF” loss. Not a Monmouth or Boston University loss, but we still should have won that game. It was a lack of preparation and lack of intensity.

Still, a Win is a Win and I’ll take them. We’ve GOT to start hitting free throws.[/quote]

Davidson was a 6 point favorite.

That appears to be Davidson pregame ?

Corrected link (audio is bad, but none better): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRTHUrl3KTg

In hindsight, once we finally decided there was a game today, we beat them 75-55, which wouldn’t have been awful at all.

It’s that slow start, we have to stop that.

After falling behind 10-0, Charlotte’s reserves came in and made the difference. The subs – freshmen guards Torin Dorn (14 points) and Keyshawn Woods (12), as well as Ivan Benkovic and Cameron Blakely -- outscored their Mountaineers counterparts 34-8.
 Any scoop on Thorne?  He appeared to have no energy tonight. A lot of shots were short and looked like he was laboring to get up the floor.  Hope nothing's physically wrong.
 Another question.  Where do some of you find TWill being a good defensive player?  You need to key in on him individually.  What I've seen is a poor man's Henry.  Trying to make steals and constantly out of position of defense.  At times he just sags to the middle and looks like a lost kid.  Combine that with his streaky shooting and some of his minutes need to go to Dorn and Woods.  It's probably a delicate situation for the coaches trying to keep morale up in the locker room.  Don't want any cancers lurking.
 Is the starting lineup the problem of our slow starts?  When Thorne's not productive, they are a nervous bunch of shooters.  It seems to take the energy of Dorn and Woods to shake things up.  Maybe they should start but there again no cancers please!!!!

Part of why we start so slow is that there is only one shooter on the floor in the starting lineup. Too many times early in a game we pass out of the post or penetrate and kick to an open man just for PH or TWill to waste the open jumper by passing on the open shot, driving right back into the crowded lane, or just throwing up a flat out brick. And if Braxton isn’t hitting jumpers, you’re gonna have a tough time getting points.
We really need to switch out TWill with Dorn. Once him and Woods get into the game the offense does okay. And it would be nice to have TWill in reserve if Mike or Willie get in foul trouble, because if all three get in foul trouble, we will have major issues down low.
Of course the other part is bringing better focus and intensity from the tip, but the other part is the chemistry of the starters. I hope the staff can recognize this…

clt asks about fox’s contract at Apple state, how much is the buyout?

i agree. twill’s defense is suspect at times and his offense is not as good as the freshman. maybe he should start dorn over williams but then morale may be a problem. the team seems very close and supportive of each other. he probably doesnt want to mess that up.

[quote=“SteauA, post:24, topic:29262”][quote=“itsbraille49, post:17, topic:29262”][quote=“SteauA, post:9, topic:29262”]Struggled to beat a shitty team once again. Saturday will be brutal unless we can play our best basketball.

Major back to .500!!![/quote]

I thought that you didn’t care anymore?[/quote]

I don’t, does that mean I can’t post?[/quote]No but it most surely means you’re one of two things. Either you’re being untruthful about not caring or you’re here to be a jackass. Woods, Dorn and Obe are solid D-1 basketball players. Once Sullivan gets healthy or we eventually get some inside help, we should be solid. In other words it’s going to be a long 4 years for the Hate Major Crowd.

BTW Sully had both his ear plugs out last night. Might be a sign his post-concussion symptoms are lifting. Very, very cautiously optimistic we might see him in conference play unless the idea is the RS him. If we can get him back for 10-15 games I say go for it.

The officiating in this game…both ways…wow. Wow. A couple of the fouls on Willie were called by the ref up top, with PH standing right in front of his eye line to Willie, outside of his zone. No reason for that, and no excuse for it. He’s not supposed to be looking in that direction. Period. And the play is literally right in front of the official who has the zone, and he sees and calls nothing (because nothing was there). Baffling. One of the out of bounds calls in the first half around the 8 minute mark, the out of bounds call/turnover was the right call (went off of us and the App player saved it, although they still got a new shot clock regardless of the fact that we never even possessed the ball), but Benkovic got clearly pushed hard out of the play onto the ground fighting to get to a loose ball. I paused the game and noticed that the ref right in front of the play with that incident clearly right square in his zone/line of sight was literally just staring at the loose ball roll towards the baseline. Seriously, bush league. There is a ref on the baseline for that reason. And I’m sure he, as the center official, just as the trail official in the Clayton foul, knows that, considering it’s probably the first thing he learned at his training. For his job. That he does. For a living. Watch your effing zone. In a basketball game, if the offensive point guard is standing directly beside and in contact with his own center on like 35% of the team’s offensive possessions, people would think he’s a complete idiot and maybe even literally intoxicated, right? I wish officials were held to that standard. I really do. Because it’s just not that hard. Maybe people around and over the age of normal retirement from desk jobs shouldn’t officiate collegiate athletics. Maybe that.

I feel like some of these starts we should throw a line change up. No excuse for coming out…or…well…not…early on in games. Thought Blakely was a much needed spark, and I don’t care about the talent level if it was me he would have played for 10 more minutes alone based on the way he used his small opportunity to literally do everything right. I like TW and he is such a great role player. He’s basically our MKG. Just has to reign in and consistently fill his role. Same as Willie. Those two guys, if playing within their respective roles, will carry us through games in everything both tangible and immeasurable on the court.

It’s obvious teams are starting to focus heavily on stopping Thorne. App needed to badly considering last year’s game. If he can learn to anticipate the collapse and find open guys out of the double team, our offense will go to a different place. If he draws that extra defender and passes out to a better ball handler, it leads to easy drive and finish/dish and gets our guards to the line more. Last night our guards were executing that well…our ball movement looked much improved and our dribble penetration was effective.

We play ridiculously well in small, inconsistent spurts. It has won us the past two games. If we could put those moments together over the course of a game, we can smash teams like this or put up a fight with anyone.

[quote=“Wingate49erFan, post:29, topic:29262”]Part of why we start so slow is that there is only one shooter on the floor in the starting lineup. Too many times early in a game we pass out of the post or penetrate and kick to an open man just for PH or TWill to waste the open jumper by passing on the open shot, driving right back into the crowded lane, or just throwing up a flat out brick. And if Braxton isn’t hitting jumpers, you’re gonna have a tough time getting points.
We really need to switch out TWill with Dorn. Once him and Woods get into the game the offense does okay. And it would be nice to have TWill in reserve if Mike or Willie get in foul trouble, because if all three get in foul trouble, we will have major issues down low.
Of course the other part is bringing better focus and intensity from the tip, but the other part is the chemistry of the starters. I hope the staff can recognize this…[/quote]agree. Or depending on the size of the opponent Major could bring Big Mike off the bench while going with a smaller lineup. Love Mike but how many times have we started a game by feeding him the ball to see him miss a shot or turn it over. He does seem to be improving on handling the double team. Now I’d like to see him go straight up with the ball instead dribbling or fading away. I’m not getting anything else for Christmas so…

Begs the question as to why don’t they start? If they did, maybe we wouldn’t fall behind by double digits at the beginning of every game.

It seems to me that Thorn is struggling when Willie is in the game with him. I would also say that Willie did awesome once Mike was on the bench for a while in the 2nd.

They are both posting on different sides of the lane at the same time. They need to post one up and get the other one out of the way. There ends up being way too many people in the lane when the bigs get the ball down low.

Got the ball inside consistently and got good shots to close out the game.

Dorn and Woods are very advanced as Freshman. Certainly way ahead of any recent Freshmen we’ve had.

Willie got his footwork back. Now just need Thorne operating close to the basket.

Time to switch-up the starting line-up or at least insert Dorn or Woods over Williams. Can’t afford to be down by 10 to good teams and win.

As much as I agree that having Dorn or Woods in the starting lineup to give us more perimeter scoring options, history says Major won’t change the lineup. He’s pretty stubborn with lineups.

Finally played the lineup I’ve been waiting to see and I have to say I loved it.

Og, Woods, Dorn, PH and a big. Solid when we can do that. I know it can’t be exclusive if the other guys have a big presence but that line up will win you a lot of games