Post Game, Charlotte vs. Tweetsie

The officiating was not great. They were calling us for fouls whenever their guards initiated contact, until partway through the 2nd half, and then they just stopped calling anything on those plays and started calling fouls on Appst that they hadn’t been calling previously. That was around the time we made our run. Refereeing like that can have a huge influence on the game, because it means our guys have to play incredibly soft on their drives, which causes all kinds of problems for our already porous defense. Maybe the refs finally rotated their positions around. But whatever the cause, it is why App st. was close at the end.

I’m surprised Blakely doesn’t get more time, but is he having trouble defending the post? The App st. post players were real bruisers, pushing Thorne off the block pretty easily, so maybe that had something to do with it. But I would think Blakely can play post defense at least comparably to Williams, who was also getting pushed around down low (he really shouldn’t have to play PF, but that’s what our lack of depth down low means).

I can’t believe their coach didn’t start fouling with about 2-3 minutes to go given our free throw shooting woes. I’d have just hacked Clayton, Thorne, and the freshmen, especially once the score got back to 8. Very strange coaching decision, it was like they gave up long before they had to.

[quote=“9erken, post:41, topic:29262”]The officiating was not great. They were calling us for fouls whenever their guards initiated contact, until partway through the 2nd half, and then they just stopped calling anything on those plays and started calling fouls on Appst that they hadn’t been calling previously. That was around the time we made our run. Refereeing like that can have a huge influence on the game, because it means our guys have to play incredibly soft on their drives, which causes all kinds of problems for our already porous defense. Maybe the refs finally rotated their positions around. But whatever the cause, it is why App st. was close at the end.

I’m surprised Blakely doesn’t get more time, but is he having trouble defending the post? The App st. post players were real bruisers, pushing Thorne off the block pretty easily, so maybe that had something to do with it. But I would think Blakely can play post defense at least comparably to Williams, who was also getting pushed around down low (he really shouldn’t have to play PF, but that’s what our lack of depth down low means).

I can’t believe their coach didn’t start fouling with about 2-3 minutes to go given our free throw shooting woes. I’d have just hacked Clayton, Thorne, and the freshmen, especially once the score got back to 8. Very strange coaching decision, it was like they gave up long before they had to.[/quote]

I was thinking the exact same thing while I was watching the game. It probably would have been a much closer final score had that happened.

While we still have a few wtf turnovers, it’s nice to see that we have cut the total number of turnovers down significantly since the 1st Miami game. Hopefully, this is the new norm and not the exception.

I really enjoyed Woods’s open 3 from the corner in the 2nd half. That seemed to be the point when App realized they were not going to win.

[quote=“nctim, post:44, topic:29262”]While we still have a few wtf turnovers, it’s nice to see that we have cut the total number of turnovers down significantly since the 1st Miami game. Hopefully, this is the new norm and not the exception.

I really enjoyed Woods’s open 3 from the corner in the 2nd half. That seemed to be the point when App realized they were not going to win.[/quote]

I see what you did there.

Agree, though. In the first Miami game we had 19 TOs. Since then we’ve averaged 9.8/game which is a significant improvement and helps to balance the continued poor FT shooting.

[quote=“nctim, post:44, topic:29262”]While we still have a few wtf turnovers, it’s nice to see that we have cut the total number of turnovers down significantly since the 1st Miami game. Hopefully, this is the new norm and not the exception.

I really enjoyed Woods’s open 3 from the corner in the 2nd half. That seemed to be the point when App realized they were not going to win.[/quote]

Our Turnover Rate in our last 6 games (Turnovers/Possessions) is 13.8%, which would be Top 5 in the country. The first 4 games weigh heavily, but we are up to 81st overall in Turnover Rate. The rate was 23.8 over the first 4 games, which would be about 325th.

[quote=“bball49er, post:32, topic:29262”][quote=“SteauA, post:24, topic:29262”][quote=“itsbraille49, post:17, topic:29262”][quote=“SteauA, post:9, topic:29262”]Struggled to beat a shitty team once again. Saturday will be brutal unless we can play our best basketball.

Major back to .500!!![/quote]

I thought that you didn’t care anymore?[/quote]

I don’t, does that mean I can’t post?[/quote]No but it most surely means you’re one of two things. Either you’re being untruthful about not caring or you’re here to be a jackass.[/quote]

Wrong on both counts!

I actually come on here to have discourse with fellow Niner fans and also to learn what is happening in and around our AD since they operate in stealth mode 24/7.

I have no intention of being a jackass and I’m sorry I may have come across that way.

Like I said in the other thread, I’ll continue to follow and watch the team but I won’t go out of ny way to do so. I will feel the same towards a win or a loss because in my mind, in the grand scheme of things (i.e. the Alan Major era) we will ultimately not be successful. I’ll follow and watch because I love Charlotte unconditionally but yelling at my TV and stressing out over these games just isn’t worth it anymore unless we become a legitimately good program again (whether that means firing Major or somehow, someway turning the program around with the people that are currently in charge).

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:46, topic:29262”][quote=“nctim, post:44, topic:29262”]While we still have a few wtf turnovers, it’s nice to see that we have cut the total number of turnovers down significantly since the 1st Miami game. Hopefully, this is the new norm and not the exception.

Our Turnover Rate in our last 6 games (Turnovers/Possessions) is 13.8%, which would be Top 5 in the country. The first 4 games weigh heavily, but we are up to 81st overall in Turnover Rate. The rate was 23.8 over the first 4 games, which would be about 325th.[/quote]Dramatic improvement in that area, great to see.

Hard to take much from this game. Shooting was nice, but that App team was one of the worst teams I’ve seen from a talent and basketball IQ standpoint in a while.

Adjustments? Surely you jest. The fact that we have outscored 7 of 9 opponents after half time can’t have anything to do with our coaching, can it? I feel sure Major stands to the side staring at his clipboard during half time while Norm comes in and delivers an animated speech about winning one for Bonnie Cones son.

[quote=“Niner National, post:22, topic:29262”]My reaction after Blakley’s drive and dish to Henry for the score:

Yeah that was an awesome play. Especially from someone who struggled last year and is now finding their game. I think that shows his potential.

So what the hell. He hits a three, free throws, gets some RBs and had that great assist in just a few minutes and we can’t find him some time in the 2nd half. Just seems odd to me.

Seems odd to me how much we talk about Blakely’s development and how we adjust at halftime, but the coach doesn’t get much credit for those types of things.

[quote=“NewNiner, post:52, topic:29262”]Seems odd to me how much we talk about Blakely’s development and how we adjust at halftime, but the coach doesn’t get much credit for those types of things.[/quote]Odom’s doing a great job with that :blank:

Nice.

I noticed Major working the refs once last night. That seems like a rarity to me.

[quote=“Gassman, post:51, topic:29262”][quote=“Niner National, post:22, topic:29262”]My reaction after Blakley’s drive and dish to Henry for the score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PU1pIxG–NM#t=57[/quote]

Yeah that was an awesome play. Especially from someone who struggled last year and is now finding their game. I think that shows his potential.

So what the hell. He hits a three, free throws, gets some RBs and had that great assist in just a few minutes and we can’t find him some time in the 2nd half. Just seems odd to me.[/quote]

He also had yet another block, albeit this one erroneously called a foul. He’s coming around.

Nice.

I noticed Major working the refs once last night. That seems like a rarity to me.[/quote] Those guys needed to be worked way more than once!

Major talks to the refs some, he just is non demonstrative like he is about everything.
If Roy or K faint on the sidelines, as they have on occasion, its a story.
If Major faints, nobody will notice the change for a few minutes.

[quote=“NLP49, post:55, topic:29262”][quote=“Gassman, post:51, topic:29262”][quote=“Niner National, post:22, topic:29262”]My reaction after Blakley’s drive and dish to Henry for the score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PU1pIxG–NM#t=57[/quote]

So what the hell. He hits a three, free throws, gets some RBs and had that great assist in just a few minutes and we can’t find him some time in the 2nd half. Just seems odd to me.[/quote]

He also had yet another block, albeit this one erroneously called a foul. He’s coming around.[/quote]

I like Blakely’s development, but he still needs to get stronger. His lack of strength to hold his position and get rebounds is one of the things that is probably cutting into his playing time. When he was in and we were playing the smaller lineup with him at the 5, we couldn’t get a rebound. Once he continues to fill out, and increase his strength, I’m pretty sure he will see his minutes increase.

[quote=“ice_cold49er, post:57, topic:29262”][quote=“NLP49, post:55, topic:29262”][quote=“Gassman, post:51, topic:29262”][quote=“Niner National, post:22, topic:29262”]My reaction after Blakley’s drive and dish to Henry for the score:

He also had yet another block, albeit this one erroneously called a foul. He’s coming around.[/quote]

I like Blakely’s development, but he still needs to get stronger. His lack of strength to hold his position and get rebounds is one of the things that is probably cutting into his playing time. When he was in and we were playing the smaller lineup with him at the 5, we couldn’t get a rebound. Once he continues to fill out, and increase his strength, I’m pretty sure he will see his minutes increase.[/quote]

Next year he will have a lot more competition for post minutes but he might see time as a small forward if he can develop his game. He obviously likes the outside shot.

clt says how about playing him at the 4?

[quote=“cltniners, post:59, topic:29262”]clt says how about playing him at the 4?[/quote] Only if volleyball has a match that day.