Post Game - SIU

<------ Saw the backflips. Random, yet impressive.

Not nearly as impressive as our defense and our FT% tonight. Hell of a win for a team with the most heart and intensity Iā€™ve seen since Iā€™ve been here.

tk, please tell your really irate fans how we smothered Falker. Your board reads like the guy just didnt show up. We just didnt let him. I almost felt bad for him.
tk isn't from SIU. He lives in Charlotte and went to URI, I believe.

[QUOTE=eason49;275060]tk isnā€™t from SIU. He lives in Charlotte and went to URI, I believe.[/QUOTE]

ahh, apologies then.

[QUOTE=ninerID;275051]Here are some of the lower recieving votes teams. I donā€™t think we get in this week, but a win next weekend at Hofstra at 7-2 (hypothetical), and maybe some of these guys take another L, we could get votes.[/QUOTE]
My money says we get votes in the NNN poll. Do I have any takers?

This team gets ā€œfunnerā€ to watch with every game.

[U]Food for Thought[/U] Here are some of the lower recieving votes teams. I don't think we get in this week, but a win next weekend at Hofstra at 7-2 (hypothetical), and maybe some of these guys take another L, we could get votes.

The problem is that Xavier (7-1), Dayton (7-1), Rhode Island (10-1) & Umass (6-2) are all in the Top 25 in RPI (yes, itā€™s still meaningless - but Iā€™m sure voters are looking at it). SIU, Creighton, NC State, K-State, etc. will all lose their votesā€¦but instead of us, I think Dayton or URI will be the ones to snatch ā€˜em up for their road wins vs. #11 Louisville & Syracuse. I ainā€™t complaininā€™, though. Weā€™re looking really good.

Big Phil hasn't gotten much PT lately (7 minutes vs. Davidson, 5 minutes vs S. Illinois)... any idea why?

I got to the arena early and Phil look really chipper in warmups (I honestly thought it might have been his birthday or something). All smiles, outjogged his teammates and was clapping for everybody and running after their loose balls and such. Then he went out and hit 18 footers one after the other. I thought to myself that he was going to have a big game.

I was puzzled by it, too. Coley came up big for us again, though - 10 points and shut down Falker.

My biggest observation for the game - what was Chisox doing on the floor in the 2nd half?!?

2nd biggest observation - the Monmouth players seemed pretty comfortable wearing Southern Illinoisā€™ uniforms. Seriously, if a fortune teller showed me the results of the two games in a HD crystal ball before the season, Iā€™d demand my money back. I thought that Southern Illinois would be the hardest game weā€™d play due to their style - and Monmouth would be our biggest blowout. College basketball sure is a funny game sometimes.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;275019][B]25-32 from the FT line[/B].

[B]78%.[/B]
Yes we did a ton of other things very right, but the difference between tonight and our other wins was hitting our FTs. If we had shot like this early,w eā€™d be 8-0. And if we continue to do it, I m guessing we wonā€™t lose many.

Food for thought.[/QUOTE]

Sign of a great team. I love this new stat.

Iā€™m kind of in shock. Still a LONG way to go but after preparing myself for a sub .500 season, this start is incredible (well excpet for ONE game). We are a totally different team than last year (in more ways than one). And Iā€™m glad for it! Go Niners.

Also wondering about Phil. 5 min. PT? Can some of you with inside info give us an explanation?

[QUOTE=49er96;275077]Iā€™m kind of in shock. Still a LONG way to go but after preparing myself for a sub .500 season, this start is incredible (well excpet for ONE game). We are a totally different team than last year (in more ways than one). And Iā€™m glad for it! Go Niners.

Also wondering about Phil. 5 min. PT? Can some of you with inside info give us an explanation?[/QUOTE]
we always lose to 1 cupcake team though every year.

[QUOTE=dax;275079]we always lose to 1 cupcake team though every year.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately :frowning: maybe next season weā€™ll break the streak? time will tell.

Nothing bad about Phil. Heā€™s still getting in shape and has trouble getting up and down the floor consistently. Also, coach was really pleased with Gabyā€™s play on Falker, so kept him in the game longer.

I had a work party for Xmas tonight and I gotta say, it was great to call during a piss break that we won from a friend by 15. Great night, except I couldnā€™t get to the game, good food, good booze, get drunk, we winā€¦ Iā€™ll take it. Sounds good.

ID Iā€™d love to be ranked but as Survivor said I donā€™t know, I could see it and I couldnā€™t. I still think in many eyes will wear the tag as someone SIU shouldnā€™t have lost to, which is a shame. Whatever, **** the poll, keep winning theyā€™ll take notice, Iā€™m out.

[QUOTE=survivor45;275068]

I got to the arena early and Phil look really chipper in warmups (I honestly thought it might have been his birthday or something). All smiles, outjogged his teammates and was clapping for everybody and running after their loose balls and such. Then he went out and hit 18 footers one after the other. I thought to myself that he was going to have a big game.

[/QUOTE]

I sat there during warmups and counted Big Phil make 7 18 footers in a row tooā€¦ I told my gfā€¦ " This is Big Philā€™s break out gameā€¦" Boy was i wrongā€¦ He really does look good out that far though considering his sizeā€¦ Id love to see him break out soonā€¦

fillmore

[QUOTE]Fredā€™s Dance Barn Poster

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:42 pm Post subject:

SalukiNC wrote:
Where there just some overrated cheers? Ouch!

watch for a court storming at the end of the game. charlotte fans dont necessarily strike me as very knowledgeable.

[/QUOTE]

Funny people came out from Carbondale.

[QUOTE=Niner89;275086]fillmore

Funny people came out from Carbondale.[/QUOTE]
i wonder what they said when we ended their home-winning streak a few years ago.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;275087]i wonder what they said when we ended their home-winning streak a few years ago.[/QUOTE]

Savage ??? These boys from Charlotte didnā€™t spare the cats now they got the dogs, too.:shades:

Nobody else has mentioned it yet, but Ian played a good game tonight. He had a couple steals, shot well from 3, and even made a 2 point shot. Heā€™s moving with the ball a good bit more this year and is playing much better than last season. He doesnā€™t get much love but heā€™s shooting 41.5% on the season. Nothing record breaking, but solid play in my opinion. Only Coley has a better FG % (except Gaby, but he only has 5 shots on the season, so Iā€™m not counting him).

http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/120807aab.html

Not much on what we did to them but mainly how they failed to make the wide open shots!

Their local paper had a more balance view of the game!
http://www.thesouthern.com/articles/2007/12/08/sports/22511604.txt

[URL=http://www.thesouthern.com/articles/2007/12/09/sports/22511604.txt][B][U]Shots donā€™t fall for SIU in third straight loss[/U][/B][/URL], The Southern

The SIU team was probably in a funk due to their classmatesā€™ home loss in the I-AA semifinals to Delaware, 20-17. Two interceptions, two missed field goals and two TDs called back for penalties will cause that.

This was a solid win for us.

[URL=http://www.thesouthern.com/articles/2007/12/09/sports/22511604.txt][B][U]Shots don't fall for SIU in third straight loss[/U][/B][/URL], The Southern

The SIU team was probably in a funk due to their classmatesā€™ home loss in the I-AA semifinals to Delaware, 20-17. Two interceptions, two missed field goals and two TDs called back for penalties will cause that.

:biggrin: Students were chanting "Falkerā€™ all game.