Potential Coaching Hires

I’m with you. Bring back Melvin Watkins.[/quote]

We could do worse but I don’t see this happening with Judy around.[/quote]

Yeah, implicit in this suggestion is that Judy will be gone also. A stretch to be sure…

Pat Kelsey…Xavier associate HC and former assistant at Wake for 8 years.
Steve Donahue from Cornell.

Dark horse…Joe Lombardi, Indiana(PA)…just throwing that name out there because they are currently ranked #2 in DII and he has ties to the Big East and the A-10…Judy LOVES HC experience in hiring coaches even if they are not on the DI level…i.e. the last two coaches hired, men’s and women’s soccer have come from DII powers.

[quote=“TRLeader, post:17, topic:22748”]We do not need “name” coaches that have already failed at other universities (Lebo, Doherty, etc).

We need a young energetic assistant from a successful program eager to make a name for himself who also has strong recruiting ties.

In this market we need a strong recruiter with a powerful personality who can sell, sell, sell.[/quote]

That kind of coach leaves after three seasons.

If that coach leaves, you get another coach like them and the cycle continues. Do you want to be Xavier or Davidson?

It is vital we get A10 / northeast connections with our next head coach.

Rice at Robert Morris is most likely a finalist for Fordham as is Hofstra’s Tom Pecora.

Word is Fran MCaffery was offered double his current salary (he makes about $500k at Siena) and lower admissions standards by Fordham and he said no.

Dooley - other than the fact he’s a psychopath, he may not be a bad coach.[/quote]

I’ve heard this about him but have no idea why it is said. What did he do to make him a pscho?[/quote]

point # 3 on the following link for starters:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/deadspin/2009/03/DSCF1988_1_.JPG&imgrefurl=http://deadspin.com/5174934/ncaa-first-round-3-kansas-vs-14-north-dakota-state&usg=__U5oDhdr9N_ZQwWKj4C0Xox1S09c=&h=300&w=400&sz=25&hl=en&start=6&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=X2MK3sPGgJ4X5M:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djoe%2Bdooley,%2Bku,%2Bnick%2Bfazekas%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ADBS_en%26tbs%3Disch:1

His name has been thrown around recently for the job at East Carolina as well, but Charlotte would be a much better destination.

Buzz Peterson?? I am not sold on him but he has not sold his house in Charlotte yet and knows the area and has Bobcat connections obviously.

[quote=“49timesthelovin, post:23, topic:22748”][quote=“TRLeader, post:17, topic:22748”]We do not need “name” coaches that have already failed at other universities (Lebo, Doherty, etc).

We need a young energetic assistant from a successful program eager to make a name for himself who also has strong recruiting ties.

In this market we need a strong recruiter with a powerful personality who can sell, sell, sell.[/quote]

That kind of coach leaves after three seasons.[/quote]

Works pretty well for Xavier.

The only name I can come up with is Melvin. Although, i’ve heard that wont happen if Judy is AD, not sure how true that is. But the guy has proven he can win here, and is associate HC at Mizz. I’m all for a hungry up and comer though, just dont know who that might be.

If that coach leaves, you get another coach like them and the cycle continues. Do you want to be Xavier or Davidson?[/quote]

Yes please. I would be ok if we went with a young assistant type.

OK, I know this is going to be blasted by some, but I dont care.

Quin Snyder
Matt Doherty
Jason Capel
Jeff Capel, Sr.

We need someone with name recognition who has at least some coaching chops. I dont want to hear about Snyders probs at Mizzou or Doherty at Carolina. Any of these could work.

Fran McCaffery is a solid potential

Could we get Ben Jacobson of N Iowa?

If that coach leaves, you get another coach like them and the cycle continues. Do you want to be Xavier or Davidson?[/quote]

Exactly, the fact that this was Lutz dream job always kept him down I believe, I’m modest enough to know we aren’t a top of the line school for someone climbing the coaching ladder, at least for now. We should be a school that snags young coaches on their way up, which is away better than a BCS coach on his way down IMO.

Mark Prosser- Wofford Assistant and son of Skip Prosser

Good lord. Here’s what I really feared with a Lutz firing - a horrifically bad hire.

Lebo?
Doherty?
Wat?
Buzz Peterson?
Bobby Cremins?

Are you folks serious?

Those are all awful ideas. Just dreadful. No retreads.

We need a 35-40 year old guy with great recruiting ties to the MidAtlantic, NE or Midwest… maybe coastal southern states. He will be a guy that has done well at a non traditional basketball school, a mid major, that was lucky to land him and knew they wouldn’t be able to keep him.

Wright State, Cornell, Northern Iowa coaches, Kelsey, other top assistants - all likely candidates.

Dalonte has a lot of baggage and makes one of the highest assistant salaries in the country. He also has ties to Lutz. I do not see that.

Wonder if someone told Judy to move quick or be moved on? I have no personal problems with either of them but we need a football AD, yesterday. Now would be a great time to retire early Judy.

Dalonte Hill

It really might happen.

Winning cures all.

[quote=“fotee9er, post:22, topic:22748”]Pat Kelsey…Xavier associate HC and former assistant at Wake for 8 years.
Steve Donahue from Cornell.

Dark horse…Joe Lombardi, Indiana(PA)…just throwing that name out there because they are currently ranked #2 in DII and he has ties to the Big East and the A-10…Judy LOVES HC experience in hiring coaches even if they are not on the DI level…i.e. the last two coaches hired, men’s and women’s soccer have come from DII powers.[/quote]

Pat Kelsey was discussed on the A10 boards. He’d be a very good choice.

Donahue? I’d take Tommy Amaker over him if I was forced to take an Ivy League dude. Whoever takes over the Charlotte job has to understand that he’s got to fight tooth and nail with Clemson & Va Tech for the 3-4 star kids right here in Charlotte. Donahue is coming from a league that doesn’t award schollies, so he’s unproven in that regard. Everyone who points their fingers at the success of Fran Dunphy at Temple has to remember that Dunphy was a former player (and asst) at La Salle and was/is a highly respected figure in Philly. Donahue has no ties to the school, city, or conference that I’m aware of.

I’d stay clear of DII coaches. A younger brother of one of my good buddies was a big recruit years ago. Would his dad have let him sign at a school with a brand new coach with no name recognition coming from a DII school? I really doubt it.

How about Tom Herrion? He is currently Associate Head Coach at Pitt. Was the head coach at Charleston from 2002-2006 (80-38).

http://statsheet.com/mcb/coaches/tom-herrion

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/herrion_tom00.html

Last time we had one of those we ended up with Hal Wissel.

Good one! Carolina connections, NCAA bids, etc.

SienaSaints.com: Fran McCaffery, Head Coach[/quote]

Plus they have a tourney win in each of the past 2 seasons I believe.