Predictions-With Iti back, what will we be ranked?

I’m guessing anywhere from 20-25.

I can already read the headlines. “Martin Iti’s back and so are the 49ers…back in the top 25”.

I know it doesn’t mean squat, but being in the top 25 IS good PR. Let’s hope people actually predict for this season rather than just rank based on last season finishes.

The rankings are 100% pure hype. With that said, I see the Niners starting next season near the top of the Others Receiving Votes list.

20 to 25 is possible, time will tell

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante[/i]@Jun 19 2004, 10:15 AM [b] The rankings are 100% pure hype. With that said, I see the Niners starting next season near the top of the Others Receiving Votes list. [/b]
Agreed, somewhere between 25-30 is my guess. Hopefully we have a big non-conference opponant early to jump into the top 25 if we can win.

Does anyone know the highest BB ranking we’ve ever had?

I have an Observer clipping from March 1977 that has the AP Poll in it… we were #3, behind Marquette and UNC I believe.

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF[/i]@Jun 19 2004, 06:41 PM [b] I have an Observer clipping from March 1977 that has the AP Poll in it... we were #3, behind Marquette and UNC I believe. [/b]
I think we were ranked #17 in 1977 despite the Final Four appearance and that #17 ranking has been achieved once or twice more since but never surpassed.

I’d rather be unranked at the beginning of the season, our teams have always quickly fallen from the top 25 when ranked in the preseason.

We will probably be ranked somewhere between 25-30 at the start of the year. If we can get some key wins we can jump into the 20-25 range and possibly sneak into 15-20 later in the year. So much possibility for next year with Iti back. I CAN’T WAIT!!!

[QUOTE]I think we were ranked #17 in 1977 despite the Final Four appearance and that #17 ranking has been achieved once or twice more since but never surpassed.

I’d rather be unranked at the beginning of the season, our teams have always quickly fallen from the top 25 when ranked in the preseason.

That’s about it. We have never been “ranked” #3. We actually finished 4th in '77, but no rankings came out after the Final Four. Pre-season rankings for us have been the kiss of death, historically. They’re fun, but meaningless and deadly for NINERS over the years. Fugetaboutit!

I don’t see us being ranked at all, we never are pre-season. Bobblin you should know better. :mellow:

It was either 97 or 98 I think we were ranked pre-season #13.

We lost our first two games of the season, one to App St, or UNC-A… Needless to say well fell out quickly and never came back into the poll.

Wasn’t that the Dermarco/Colson senior squad? Can anyone back me on this?

We were 17th in one of the preseason polls that year. It was Demarco’s & Sean’s senior season. Sean was suspended two games to start the season for violating team rules and Versile Shaw wrecked his leg against Miami. The only thing I have trouble remembering is whether or not Sean played at ASU. We lost anyway. About 66-62. Bad luck up there in Boone.

We started that season 3-5, including a loss to Western Michigan, I believe. Then we got hot and played extremely well right up to the closing seconds of the 2nd round NCAA OT game with Chapel Hill that we lost after the refs conveniently fouled DJ out.

Quite a memory, NA.

As far as being ranked, I bet we don’t even get votes in the first poll.

NA, you are right. Colson played the ASU game. I remember Dee started that game too. I sat on the first row. What an embrassing night.

We also lost to GW in Washington over Christmas. I drove up for the game. I think Colson had 38 (about 15 from the line) and DeMarco had 32. Unfortunately, we only scored about 75. That put us at 3-5, and I think we won the next 7 games to start 7-0 in the conference.

[b]I don't see us being ranked at all, we never are pre-season. Bobblin you should know better.[/b]

Agent Smith…we were ranked pre-season w/ Colson and DeMarco, either 97 or 98. You were in school then…you should remember.

I remember seeing us ranked #25 on ESPN preaseason Rodney’s year. The ranking included a justification, and the author wrote something about how “this ranking is all dependent on the hyped freshman Rodney White’s performance”.

Yeah sideshow, that was Bilas you are quoting.

Bobblin…I was too drunk in those days to remember specifics like that. Besides the ranking was short lived. I still feel like the preseason polls are all hype. It’s where you finish, not where you start fellas.
Deploy the sentinals!!

I’m not too concerned about where we will be ranked, I think it might make our players a bit over confident. I just want Iti to live up to his hype and hope that we can finally get to the sweet 16. I’m tired of sweating it out to see if we will get into the NCAA and then get upset when we get an 8 or 9 seed.

In 91-92 we were as high as #17 with Henry, Trigger, etc. That was the year 4 of 7 Metro teams went to the dance in the league’s first year (Char, USM, UL, Tul).

We will not be preseason top 25 this year. I’d be shocked. If we are its because Withers not Iti…or the combo of both.