Q&A with Shamarr Bowden

If he's as good as he thinks he is, we're going to be very lucky!
I'm sure NNN will be the first to let him know if he is not... :lmao::lmao:

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;301206]Plus, Bowden can hit an outside shot a little better. The only (BIG) hole next year is SG with the loss of Leemire. If Bowden can deliver an effective shot and good defense, could be a fun team next year.[/QUOTE]

Gotta ask. How do you know he can hit an outside shoot a little better? Because a recruiting site said so?

Come on guys, letā€™s let them come here and play before we go ape-crazy. The only player I remember living up to the hype was Rodney White.

[QUOTE=hootie;301161]Translation: ā€œBecause I can shoot all the hell I want to and not worry about getting yankedā€¦ā€[/QUOTE]

Yep. Every recruit we interview says the same thing it seems. I canā€™t stand itā€¦because itā€™s absolutely true, in a bad way.

But hey, if he can shoot, thatā€™s a good thing. At least weā€™ll have somebody who can shoot firing up bad shots as opposed to someone who canā€™t shoot firing up bad shots. Iā€™m sorryā€¦ Iā€™ve become negative. Someone help me please.

Come on guys, let's let them come here and play before we go ape-crazy. The only player I remember living up to the hype was Rodney White.

I think youā€™re forgetting a certain super-human named Martin Iti. That man came in to Charlotte like a tornado and took no prisoners. He lived up to every expectation that people with no expectations had for him. Rims shook at the mere sight of him. Players on other teams thought they were playing against a taller, meaner, darker Cherokee Parks. I think when itā€™s all said and done, history will be kind to that beast of a man. Entered our gym top rated center in high school, exited our gym a legend who would move on to help another team with their problems. I wonder which lottery pick heā€™ll take up this year.

I think you're forgetting a certain super-human named Martin Iti. That man came in to Charlotte like a tornado and took no prisoners. He lived up to every expectation that people with no expectations had for him. Rims shook at the mere sight of him. Players on other teams thought they were playing against a taller, meaner, darker Cherokee Parks. I think when it's all said and done, history will be kind to that beast of a man. Entered our gym top rated center in high school, exited our gym a legend who would move on to help another team with their problems. I wonder which lottery pick he'll take up this year.
I never saw Iti, but he had like ~20 more blocks his freshman year than Coley. Why did everyone hate him so much? That's a lot of blocks.

[QUOTE=hootie;301298]

Come on guys, letā€™s let them come here and play before we go ape-crazy. The only player I remember living up to the hype was Rodney White.[/QUOTE]

Mike Beasley.

[QUOTE=eason49;301340]I never saw Iti, but he had like ~20 more blocks his freshman year than Coley. Why did everyone hate him so much? Thatā€™s a lot of blocks.[/QUOTE]

Hahaā€¦ did you just compare Iti to Coley?

ESPN had Iti rated as the #1 center coming out of high school and he came nowhere close to living up to the hype. A typical Iti stat line was 4 points, 2 rebounds, 18 minutes, 5 fouls. I think 10 or so of his blocks that year came against NC A&T. Athletically, Coley is the Polar opposite of Iti.

I never saw Iti, but he had like ~20 more blocks his freshman year than Coley. Why did everyone hate him so much? That's a lot of blocks.

Because he came in here the highest rated center in the country, there was a lot of talk about having him will bring us to the ā€œnext levelā€, then he was absolutely aweful. He was the worst basketball player to ever put on a niner uniform, in my opinion. The only thing he was good at was standing in the lane on defense and making guys alter shots. Iā€™ve never seen a guy that tall get hung by the rim so much. He would get the ball wide open under the basket, go up and get blocked by the front of the rim. I could go on and on, but Iti was a disgrace to the uniform he wore.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;301249]Ehā€¦VT really doesnā€™t have that great an atmosphere for basketball as you would think. Football, sure. Basketball, eh. Ya know, just because VT is in the ACC doesnā€™t mean they automatically have a great basketball atmosphereā€¦[/QUOTE]

FWIW, Virginia Tech sold out all its home games this season, 9,847 tickets per.

Yep. Every recruit we interview says the same thing it seems. I can't stand it.....because it's absolutely true, in a bad way.

But hey, if he can shoot, thatā€™s a good thing. At least weā€™ll have somebody who can shoot firing up bad shots as opposed to someone who canā€™t shoot firing up bad shots. Iā€™m sorryā€¦ Iā€™ve become negative. Someone help me please.

Not sure if this helps or not, but have you thought about the fact that we possibly donā€™t land this guy if we donā€™t sell that approach to him? The fact is that he was going to VT until they landed another SG. We were able to sell to him that he would get more PT here than if he stayed at VT.

[QUOTE=Submarley734;301351]Because he came in here the highest rated center in the country, there was a lot of talk about having him will bring us to the ā€œnext levelā€, then he was absolutely aweful. He was the worst basketball player to ever put on a niner uniform, in my opinion. The only thing he was good at was standing in the lane on defense and making guys alter shots. Iā€™ve never seen a guy that tall get hung by the rim so much. He would get the ball wide open under the basket, go up and get blocked by the front of the rim. I could go on and on, but Iti was a disgrace to the uniform he wore.[/QUOTE]

He wasnā€™t absolutely awful, he was okay. He has put up solid numbers at NMSU, and he will likely be in the postseason again this year. Probably wonā€™t be in the big dance, but most likely the NIT.

I think we would have been a better team with him than without him, but plenty of people donā€™t share that opinion.

The guy is averaging 6/5 with over a block a game for his career, not outstanding, but certainly not terrible. And the advantage a guy like that provides on the defensive end is immeasurable.

I think there is some validity to this. We as fans over hyped Iti after he received a top rated center ranking from ESPN. Had Iti come into the program with expectations similar to say Ngoundjo, then I donā€™t think we would have been as critical of him and his #s wouldnā€™t have looked as bad. At the same time though, he had an attitude and thought that his #1 ranking was legitimate.

He wasn't absolutely awful, he was okay. He has put up solid numbers at NMSU, and he will likely be in the postseason again this year. Probably won't be in the big dance, but most likely the NIT.

I think we would have been a better team with him than without him, but plenty of people donā€™t share that opinion.

The guy is averaging 6/5 with over a block a game for his career, not outstanding, but certainly not terrible. And the advantage a guy like that provides on the defensive end is immeasurable.

I agree. I was one who was hoping he would stay and over a 4 year career he would help us. Problem was that Iā€™m not sure if he could have changed his attitude or his expectations for how good was. I believe he wanted out (or his guardian wanted him out) more than the coaches forced him out.

He also got blocked by the rim going up for dunks about 30 times during his two years hereā€¦

[QUOTE=plannerniner;301331]At least weā€™ll have somebody who can shoot firing up bad shots as opposed to someone who canā€™t shoot firing up bad shots. Iā€™m sorryā€¦ Iā€™ve become negative. Someone help me please.[/QUOTE]
Are you reffering to Lee? Because I know he had a dry spell, but he is still in the top 5 in the league for ppg and is racing up several carrer stat charts for our programā€¦

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;301352]FWIW, Virginia Tech sold out all its home games this season, 9,847 tickets per.[/QUOTE]
Really?? I watched a game or two of theirs on TV and it wasnā€™t even half fullā€¦

[QUOTE=ChevEE;301377]
Really?? I watched a game or two of theirs on TV and it wasnā€™t even half fullā€¦[/QUOTE]

Seats sold does not equal cheeks in the seat. Look at our attendance numbers for any game this year.

[QUOTE=scollie41;301420]Seats sold does not equal cheeks in the seat. Look at our attendance numbers for any game this year.[/QUOTE]
Oh I know that, but Iā€™m saying not even half fullā€¦ And to claim sold out when itā€™s not even half full, I would have to assume they give away a lot of tix to corporations or have a PSL programā€¦

He wasn't absolutely awful, he was okay. He has put up solid numbers at NMSU, and he will likely be in the postseason again this year. Probably won't be in the big dance, but most likely the NIT.

The fact was that he caused more problems on the offensive end then he helped with on defense. Every time he touched the ball, I shook with terror bc I saw either a turnover, a missed shot, or a missed dunk coming up. He was never a good rebounder either. The rebounds he got were the ones that just came to him. He helped some games, I will give you that, but most games, he was just a load our team had to carry. Plus, his attitude and influences of people around him I think affected his work ethic in a bad way. I didnā€™t see him improve one bit while he was here, and from watching him on the court, my perception was that he was lazy as hell. Iti was a huge disapointment, and Iā€™ll admit, a lot of that was prehype, but Bobby started him way too much bc he was far from a starter.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;301377]Are you reffering to Lee? Because I know he had a dry spell, but he is still in the top 5 in the league for ppg and is racing up several carrer stat charts for our programā€¦

Really?? I watched a game or two of theirs on TV and it wasnā€™t even half fullā€¦[/QUOTE]

No, Iā€™m just speaking in generalitiesā€¦everybody seems to like to shoot 3s on our team; that kind of thing. I donā€™t doubt heā€™s a good shooter, he may very well be. But like some have said, that may or may not translate well at the college level. No one knows.

Gotta ask. How do you know he can hit an outside shoot a little better? Because a recruiting site said so?

Come on guys, letā€™s let them come here and play before we go ape-crazy. The only player I remember living up to the hype was Rodney White.

Deā€™Angelo, when brought in, was known to have a suspect 3-point shot. We compared him to Plavich, his predecessor, and said, ā€œMore Athletic, probably defends better, will not have the same stroke.ā€

Deā€™Angelo was a top scorer because he shot 100 shots a game (ok, sarcastic, but he was a black hole when passing the ball around). He was streaky, AT BEST. I think Mack has a better looking shot than DAā€™s. Hell, Wildernessā€™ shots from 3 looks similar to DAā€™s. DA was a small forward trying to play SG. Almost like he was trying to impress scouts that he could play the 2G position.

So thatā€™s your answer.

Side note: Iti was HORRIBLE!!! Donā€™t compare to Coley. Iti would not play defense. He would camp out in the lane, leaving his man open in order to look for a shot block. He never had good position. And if you have ever made fun of Philā€™s hook shot (which you shouldnā€™t), look at Itiā€™s. THAT was an ugly shot.