Q&A with Shamarr Bowden

[QUOTE=Powerbait;301354]
The guy is averaging 6/5 with over a block a game for his career[/QUOTE]

I agree that he was OK, and we would have prob been better with him than without (I mean, how could we have been any worse last year with him?)…But, the problem is, he has averaged 6/5 every year of his career! I mean, thats pretty decent for a freshman, but you’d assume he’d get better. With Iti, he still hasn’t. That to me, screams lack of work ethic.

[QUOTE=plannerniner;301452]No, I’m just speaking in generalities…everybody seems to like to shoot 3s on our team.[/QUOTE]
Oh, okay.

[QUOTE=plannerniner;301452]But like some have said, that may or may not translate well at the college level. No one knows.[/QUOTE]
QFT! We keep shooting ourselves in the foot by overhyping guys and then have a hard time appreciating what they bring to the team.

QFT! We keep shooting ourselves in the foot by overhyping guys and then have a hard time appreciating what they bring to the team.

That I believe described the Iti situation pretty well.

Just think if Iti played in the A10, the freakin big men in this league that can shoot behind the arc would have a field day. Well, one already did against us in Josh Ducan, but add to that Rob Ferguson.

Just think if Iti played in the A10, the freakin big men in this league that can shoot behind the arc would have a field day. Well, one already did against us in Josh Ducan, but add to that Rob Ferguson.

After not missing a shot from the field against us, he did it again their very next game against URI, going 8-8 (3-3 on threes). Kid can ball.

That I believe described the Iti situation pretty well.

Wait, what did Iti bring to the team?

Wait, what did Iti bring to the team?

As was mentioned in the first post, he had more blocks his freshman year than Coley has had this season.

My point was him being over hyped. Are you currently disappointed in Gaby? If Iti came in with the same lack of hype as Gaby we probably would have viewed him differently. His freshman #s are better than Gaby’s. It would have been nice the last couple of years to have been able to play him at center and let Drayton and Coleman play the PF.

As was mentioned in the first post, he had more blocks his freshman year than Coley has had this season.

My point was him being over hyped. Are you currently disappointed in Gaby? If Iti came in with the same lack of hype as Gaby we probably would have viewed him differently. His freshman #s are better than Gaby’s. It would have been nice the last couple of years to have been able to play him at center and let Drayton and Coleman play the PF.

Iti is a play killer. Gaby’s bball IQ is off the charts compared to Iti. Anybody as long as Iti should have as many blocks as he had, especially since he went for every block and never boxed out. And Gaby isn’t making a joke of himself by trying to go league.

Are you serious?! Yeah, he had blocks, but he did not play anything that resembled defense. The ball would get dumped to his assigned guy because Iti was all about the block on the other 4 players on the court. He CAMPED OUT in the lane. His assignment could run to the 3 line, Iti would stay in the paint. He would be out of position almost every time.

He should have been a monster on the glass, but the whole boxing out idea was tough. Not to mention, he was out of position on defense.

As for offense, he tried to make a highlight play every time…and usually messed it up. He was all about individual play with no concept of team ball.

Basden, Withers, Plavich, and Baldwin made Iti look respectable. But Nance was >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> over Iti because he knew how to be in a team.

I never thought we would ever forget how bad he was. The same guy that came back a second year after figuring out the NBA did not want him…but really looking for a way out. If he would have worked hard but just not been able to pick it up, that’s one thing. But Iti seemed like he refused to be coached.

Gaby is 100X better because he listens. He plays in a system and knows his role. I bet if Basden, Withers, Plavich, and Baldwin had Gaby, the team would have been the same if not better.

He also got blocked by the rim going up for dunks about 30 times during his two years here..
Well, to play devils advocate, we have a couple players this year that have a tough time with layups.

You’d think Iti routinely killed puppies in the middle of Halton every night with the way people talk about him here.

Well, to play devils advocate, we have a couple players this year that have a tough time with layups.

You’d think Iti routinely killed puppies in the middle of Halton every night with the way people talk about him here.

Oh, you must not have been there. Iti would be thrown to the ground by the rim. He would place it squarely on the front of the rim (needing to jump another 6 inches to clear the rim) and be thrown to the floor with the ball in hand…and this was not a one-time occurrence.

[QUOTE=Normmm;301578]His freshman #s are better than Gaby’s. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, but Iti averaged 18+ minutes per game his freshman year and Gaby is averaging 6. Iti had 35 blocks in 552 minutes played… Gaby has 13 in 164 minutes so far this year. Iti also averaged 1 foul every 6 minutes his freshman year and shot 31.9% from the FT line his sophomore year. 31.9%!!! To top it all off, he had a bad attitude… thought he deserved more minutes than he was getting and legitimately thought he had a chance in the NBA draft after his first year. Ha.

If you look at production per minute, I’ll take Gaby over Iti any day of the week. Gaby has way more potential as well.

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;301588]Oh, you must not have been there. Iti would be thrown to the ground by the rim. He would place it squarely on the front of the rim (needing to jump another 6 inches to clear the rim) and be thrown to the floor with the ball in hand…and this was not a one-time occurrence.[/QUOTE]

I am not saying that Iti was great by any stretch, and I agree with Iron that he did not really improve.

I don’t know what he could have done here with a starter’s minutes in his junior and senior year. I just know that we could have used him and that he wasn’t terrible. Iti gets a bad rap here, worse than he deserves.

[QUOTE=Max Power;301602]Yeah, but Iti averaged 18+ minutes per game his freshman year and Gaby is averaging 6. Iti had 35 blocks in 552 minutes played… Gaby has 13 in 164 minutes so far this year. Iti also averaged 1 foul every 6 minutes his freshman year and shot 31.9% from the FT line his sophomore year. 31.9%!!! To top it all off, he had a bad attitude… thought he deserved more minutes than he was getting and legitimately thought he had a chance in the NBA draft after his first year. Ha.

If you look at production per minute, I’ll take Gaby over Iti any day of the week. Gaby has way more potential as well.[/QUOTE]

I would take Gaby or Phil over Iti, no questions asked. But I wish we had kept Iti for four years.

Just for fun, here are Iti’s stats this year:
http://www.nmstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=9580&SPID=585&DB_OEM_ID=1900&ATCLID=1309033

Averaging less minutes now (15.6) than he did as a freshman with us (18+). 5.8 ppg / 4.8 rpg. He is shooting 52% from the FT line, has 42 turnovers, 6 assists, 41 blocks, and is averaging 1 foul every 6.5 minutes.

I am not saying that Iti was great by any stretch, and I agree with Iron that he did not really improve.

I don’t know what he could have done here with a starter’s minutes in his junior and senior year. I just know that we could have used him and that he wasn’t terrible. Iti gets a bad rap here, worse than he deserves.

Actually he was terrible.

Yeah, but Iti averaged 18+ minutes per game his freshman year and Gaby is averaging 6. Iti had 35 blocks in 552 minutes played... Gaby has 13 in 164 minutes so far this year. Iti also averaged 1 foul every 6 minutes his freshman year and shot 31.9% from the FT line his sophomore year. 31.9%!!! To top it all off, he had a bad attitude... thought he deserved more minutes than he was getting and legitimately thought he had a chance in the NBA draft after his first year. Ha.

If you look at production per minute, I’ll take Gaby over Iti any day of the week. Gaby has way more potential as well.

Look, I’m not saying Iti was the next Tim Duncan. What I’m saying is that maybe things would have been different if he wasn’t over hyped. Yes, he had a bad attitude. But maybe it wouldn’t have been as bad if he wasn’t over hyped. But if you look at pure numbers, Iti wasn’t as bad as people make him out to be. It was just impossible for him to live up to the over hype. As far as Gaby, I like him too. But to be realistic you can’t truly compete with a 6’7" center. Some of Iti’s defensive assistance doesn’t even show up in stat sheets.

Here are some other numbers.

07-08
Jones (whose minutes are similar to Iti’s as a freshman)
Pts - 3.5
FG% - 34%
Reb/game - 3
Blocks - 17
Steals - 6

Gaby
Pts - 1.1
FG% - 44%
Reb/game - 1.6
Blocks - 13
Steals - 2

03-04 Season

Iti
Pts - 6
FG% - 57% (8th best all time by a 49er)
Reb/game - 4.7
Blocks - 35
Steals - 12

04-05 Season
Iti
Pts - 5
FG% - 51%
Reb/game - 4
Blocks - 48 (7th all time by a 49er)
Steals - 10

Nance
Pts - 4.1
FG% - 45%
Reb/game - 3.3
Blocks - 4
Steals - 11

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;301581]Gaby’s bball IQ is off the charts compared to Iti.[/QUOTE]
Funny thing is all the longer Gaby has played organized ball.

[QUOTE=Max Power;301617]Averaging less minutes now (15.6) than he did as a freshman with us (18+). 5.8 ppg / 4.8 rpg. He is shooting 52% from the FT line, has 42 turnovers, 6 assists, 41 blocks, and is averaging 1 foul every 6.5 minutes.[/QUOTE]
:lmao: Seriously??

Averaging less minutes now (15.6) than he did as a freshman with us (18+). 5.8 ppg / 4.8 rpg. He is shooting 52% from the FT line, has 42 turnovers, 6 assists, 41 blocks, and is averaging 1 foul every 6.5 minutes.
Seriously??

Check out their stats. They have another center shooting 67%!!! He’d take minutes away from a lot of centers across the country.

http://www.nmstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=9580&SPID=585&DB_OEM_ID=1900&ATCLID=1309033

OK, I’m going to end this right now. Let’s put this into perspective. If Iti wasn’t ranked where he was, and Bobby went to see him play and recruited just off of that, Iti wouldn’t have been in a Niner Uniform, wouldn’t have a scholarship to Charlotte, probably wouldn’t even have played in a good conference. There is a reason why we were able to grab the “highest ranked center” in the country. All of the top teams must have watched him play. HE WAS TERRIBLE!!! END OF RANT!!! TERRIBLE!!!