Q&A with Shamarr Bowden

[QUOTE=Submarley734;301640]OK, I’m going to end this right now. Let’s put this into perspective. If Iti wasn’t ranked where he was, and Bobby went to see him play and recruited just off of that, Iti wouldn’t have been in a Niner Uniform, wouldn’t have a scholarship to Charlotte, probably wouldn’t even have played in a good conference. There is a reason why we were able to grab the “highest ranked center” in the country. All of the top teams must have watched him play. HE WAS TERRIBLE!!! END OF RANT!!! TERRIBLE!!![/QUOTE]

NMSU is no scrub.

Anybody who doesn’t think Iti was terrible either couldn’t have seen him play or has a serious case of amnesia.And,as was pointed out before,other than blocking a few shots…his defense was so poor,he was always out of position which led to countless easy layups for our opponents.HE HAD 2 YEARS…HE SUCKED…IF HE WAS STILL HERE I’D KILL MYSELF!

[QUOTE=lucky57;301643]Anybody who doesn’t think Iti was terrible either couldn’t have seen him play or has a serious case of amnesia.And,as was pointed out before,other than blocking a few shots…his defense was so poor,he was always out of position which led to countless easy layups for our opponents.HE HAD 2 YEARS…HE SUCKED…IF HE WAS STILL HERE I’D KILL MYSELF![/QUOTE]

LOL, dude was not fun to watch. I’ll say that.

We would have been better off having him the past two years than Dumptruck/Sleeves.

We would have been better off having him the past two years than Dumptruck/Sleeves.

No.

LOL, dude was not fun to watch. I'll say that.

I don’t know, watching the fast break dunk attempts where he flips over by getting denied by the rim made the arena go up in laughter. He had his moments.

No.
In 04-05 as a So. Iti averaged 5.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg, and 1.7 blocks pg in 18 minutes per game.

Together in 23.7 mpg Sleevestruck averaged 5.3 ppg, 5.5 rpg, and 0.6 block pg for 05-06.

Together in 33.4 mpg Seevestruck averaged 7.9 ppg, 5.8 rpg, and 1.1 blocks pg for 06-07.

I would definitely take Iti plus a corpse over both of them. You wouldn’t even have to tell me which was Iti and which was the corpse, I’d be content.

Are we really discussing who we’d rather have? Sleeves, Dumptruck, or Iti? Can I pass on all of them? They were all ****, and did not help the team during their two years here. Why don’t we just say, would you rather have anal warts, gonorrhea, or herpies? Different subject, same kinds of choices.

Are we really discussing who we'd rather have? Sleeves, Dumptruck, or Iti? Can I pass on all of them? They were all ****, and did not help the team during their two years here. Why don't we just say, would you rather have anal warts, gonorrhea, or herpies? Different subject, same kinds of choices.
Touche. But I do feel bad for Iti, because he was a good kid with an absolute douchebag/sleezeball handler.

So… how about that interview with Bowden!! :smile:

Why are people trying to stick up for Iti. The guy only gets minutes cause he is 7ft tall. Just another big man that doesn’t think he has to work harder than the next guy cause he is tall.

Wow 5 points and 5 rebounds for a senior. U suck Iti

In 04-05 as a So. Iti averaged 5.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg, and 1.7 blocks pg in 18 minutes per game.

Together in 23.7 mpg Sleevestruck averaged 5.3 ppg, 5.5 rpg, and 0.6 block pg for 05-06.

Together in 33.4 mpg Seevestruck averaged 7.9 ppg, 5.8 rpg, and 1.1 blocks pg for 06-07.

I would definitely take Iti plus a corpse over both of them. You wouldn’t even have to tell me which was Iti and which was the corpse, I’d be content.

Why does everyone have a lovefest with stats? If points given up because of piss-poor defense was a stat, people would understand how bad Iti was. Four rebound average from a “7” footer just goes to show how bad the defense was.

Why does everyone have a lovefest with stats? If points given up because of piss-poor defense was a stat, people would understand how bad Iti was. Four rebound average from a "7" footer just goes to show how bad the defense was.

Because stats provide contrary, real evidence to when people say Iti was terrible. Rather than just stating he was terrible. I think some people have trouble separating the expectations for Iti and what Iti was able to provide. If you just look at the numbers, if Iti was terrible then Jones, Coleman, Nance, Williams and Gaby are even “more” terrible because his numbers are better. Yes maybe his 5 reb/game is not terribly impressive for his height but it was still better than Nance, Jones, gaby, Coleman regardless of height. The difference is those guys were not “over hyped”. Your expectations for them are different then what they were for Iti.

OK, I'm going to end this right now. Let's put this into perspective. If Iti wasn't ranked where he was, and Bobby went to see him play and recruited just off of that, Iti wouldn't have been in a Niner Uniform, wouldn't have a scholarship to Charlotte, probably wouldn't even have played in a good conference. There is a reason why we were able to grab the "highest ranked center" in the country. All of the top teams must have watched him play. HE WAS TERRIBLE!!! END OF RANT!!! TERRIBLE!!!

Bad argument. By this logic that means all of our players are terrible because other schools aren’t recruiting them either. We aren’t stealing any recruits from the Kentuckys, UConns or Arizonas of the basketball world.

Because stats provide contrary, real evidence to when people say Iti was terrible. Rather than just stating he was terrible. I think some people have trouble separating the expectations for Iti and what Iti was able to provide. If you just look at the numbers, if Iti was terrible then Jones, Coleman, Nance, Williams and Gaby are even "more" terrible because his numbers are better. Yes maybe his 5 reb/game is not terribly impressive for his height but it was still better than Nance, Jones, gaby, Coleman regardless of height. The difference is those guys were not "over hyped". Your expectations for them are different then what they were for Iti.

If you can go back to the game tape, watch what his man does. Stats do not paint the picture of missed opportunities. Also, stats do not take into account Iti’s supporting cast as compared to Coleman and Sleeves. Iti had Withers, Basden, Plavich, and Baldwin (when he was fearless). Colesleeves had, of recognition, DA and Leemire. I’m saying Goonj would put up better numbers on Iti’s team and not give up so much on defense by actually manning up.

Bad argument. By this logic that means all of our players are terrible because other schools aren't recruiting them either. We aren't stealing any recruits from the Kentuckys, UConns or Arizonas of the basketball world.

You just said the same thing that I said. I mentioned that there was a reason why no big time college went after him. I didn’t say we steal recruits from great programs, I was merely saying that our coaches were obviously in love with the rankings and not the talent. That’s why we got the number one ranked center in the country. And I wasn’t mentioning other players on our team; I was talking about Martin, the human clank, Iti.

[QUOTE=Submarley734;301848]You just said the same thing that I said. I mentioned that there was a reason why no big time college went after him. I didn’t say we steal recruits from great programs, I was merely saying that our coaches were obviously in love with the rankings and not the talent. That’s why we got the number one ranked center in the country. And I wasn’t mentioning other players on our team; I was talking about Martin, the human clank, Iti.[/QUOTE]

I think our coaching staff probably knew Iti was a project and not a direct ticket to the promiseland. They aren’t stupid and do their homework on recruits. I think Iti had and still has potential. His guardian was a POS and I think Iti was lead to believe he was better than he actually was, hence him entering his name into the draft after his soph year. He’s long and athletic and I think has the potential to be a decent player in the pros somewhere. He really needs to let himself be coached and own up that his isn’t as good as he thought.

overall, Iti was overhyped but I think he still has potential.

Now onto Bowden. You have to love a kid with confidence in his game. I love that the he has an outside shot, I just hope he can advance his game while being here. Get to the basket and complete at the FT line. For example Lee, he now has the ability to get to the basket (doesn’t use it like he should) and hit his FT’s.

So.... how about that interview with Bowden!! :smile:

haha that discussion ended a while ago looks like.

I watched Iti in person maybe 3 games my senior year of highschool. At that time in my life I didnt know all that much about college ball (I was more of a play the game instead of watch the game kind of kid). I was amazed at first becasue the kid was 7 ft - I learned quickly that he wasnt all that amazing. Before I ever got on this board, or really discussed niner athletics, I had decided that Iti was hype.

How in the world did Iti rank so high coming out of high school? There is gotta be a reason…