Rashad Coleman - 6'6 SF (2008)

Tidbit - from what I’ve heard, Rashad Coleman, a 6’6 wing from Heat Academy in Martinsville, VA, is visiting Thurs - Sat. Has offers from Ga. Tech, Ok. State, but is leaning toward the 49ers! Big time scorer and athlete with 38-inch vertical.

and where did you hear this? A friend of a friend who’s cousin is the baby daddy of a nephew that he met while at the supermarket? Got a pic?

Visiting Thursday through Saturday… huh. I guess he is here for the tournament.

Does anyone know what happens on recruiting trips? Like the daily timeline of events… just interested to know.

I believe he is class of 2008, not 2010.

I believe he is class of 2008, not 2010.

That would be sweet if he truly is leaning towards us.

Tidbit - from what I've heard, Rashad Coleman, a 6’6 wing from Heat Academy in Martinsville, VA, is visiting Thurs - Sat. Has offers from Ga. Tech, Ok. State, but is leaning toward the 49ers! Big time scorer and athlete with 38-inch vertical.

Is that the same “basketball school” we were talking about in another thread?

Is that the same "basketball school" we were talking about in another thread?
In the thread about Bobby not being able to recruit well there? I don't think it is but I may be wrong. The "Heat" doesn't sound familiar.

There have been numerous posts about this guy strewn all over the board. About time he got his own thread.

Definitely class of 2008 which means next season. As I mentioned earlier, Coleman and his team/coaches were in attendance for the Duquesne game and were thoroughly entertained. It was an unofficial visit for Rashad. He can shoot and dunk on people.

Definitely class of 2008 which means next season. As I mentioned earlier, Coleman and his team/coaches were in attendance for the Duquesne game and were thoroughly entertained. It was an official visit for Rashad. He can shoot and dunk on people.

So it was the same “school.”

[QUOTE=Submarley734;308728]So it was the same “school.”[/QUOTE]

Yes and he and the others there have major D1 offers. They wouldn’t be running it if it wasn’t cleared by the NCAA.

I like that the Heat Academy is more honest about what it is. And, if you read the article, these kids are actually pursuing their education on their own. Seems like a good thing. Sure hasn’t scared off guys like Kryziewski, etc. Don’t be surprised to see that other big kid they have on the roster of a program like Duke.

Not finding a lot on him…

From the Roanoke Times:

"There's a lot of schools I've been talking to," said Rashad Coleman, a 21-year-old wing who joined the Heat this year out of Georgia. "N.C. State, Nevada, Eastern Carolina, Cincinnati ... and it's just because of Ater. When they come to see him, they see me, too."

Roanoke.com: Hot prospects play in Martinsville club

From the Washington Post:

At 2:15 on a Friday afternoon, eight basketball players dispersed throughout a suburban duplex that doubles as their home and classroom in this faded textile and furniture industry town near the North Carolina border. They sprawled out across couches and beds and turned on their laptop computers.

Rashad Coleman, a 21-year-old former college student from Atlanta, logged in for his Internet math class. Corey Jones, a recent high school graduate from Roanoke, studied for the SAT online. Twin guards Sammy and Teddy Schickel consulted a textbook for the correspondence class they take through Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte. A few other teammates, Australians enjoying their summer vacation, listened to music and watched “SportsCenter.”

WashingtonPost.com: An Academy Devoted To Playing Basketball

And a link to the Heat Academy website: Heat Basketball Academy

Yes and he and the others there have major D1 offers. They wouldn't be running it if it wasn't cleared by the NCAA.

OK, I guess I’m just a little more skeptical about it than the rest of you. I did read the article and it just doesn’t seem like the kids have any type of educational supervision. I applaud the kids who are actually doing what needs to be done to get into a University, but I just don’t see most kids working hard towards education on their own. Maybe I’m wrong, or maybe I’m just comparing to when I was that age, if I wasn’t pushed, I probably wouldn’t have worked hard towards education.

From that same Washington Post Dec 19th article:

[QUOTE]Interest has trickled down to Heat’s other players – so much so that Niblett believes half of his 12-man roster will eventually play for Division I teams. [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Coleman, who played two seasons at a tiny Christian college in southeast Georgia, now juggles interest from Kansas and North Carolina State. [/COLOR][/B]Sammy Schickel, a guard who shared playing time on his high school team last season, talks regularly with coaches at Connecticut.
[/QUOTE]

and where did you hear this? A friend of a friend who's cousin is the baby daddy of a nephew that he met while at the supermarket? Got a pic?

Visiting Thursday through Saturday… huh. I guess he is here for the tournament.

Does anyone know what happens on recruiting trips? Like the daily timeline of events… just interested to know.

Doesn’t 49erblh update the recruiting forums mostly?

While I understand people are skeptical of the Heat Academy it is essentially these kids doing the University of Phoenix thing online, and playing on a basketball team against prep competition. This way they do have their academics and physically stay in shape against mid to high level talent.

Lefty beat me to it.

Jim’s “observations” following the March 3rd game against Duquesne…

Making an unofficial visit to Charlotte on Sunday was 6-foot-5 shooting guard Rashaude Coleman, a former prep player from LaGrange, Ga., who attends the Heat Basketball Academy in Martinsville, Va. He is also being recruited by Georgia Tech and would have 2 1/2 to three seasons of eligibility remaining if he joined the 49ers.

Charlotte.com: Observations | Duquesne at Charlotte

Yes and he and the others there have major D1 offers. They wouldn't be running it if it wasn't cleared by the NCAA.

In the Washington Post article, the coach/leader says he had many discussions with the NCAA to make sure it would work and not hurt these players’ chances at eligibility. They just have to meet the requirements like everyone else.

[QUOTE=Submarley734;308748]OK, I guess I’m just a little more skeptical about it than the rest of you. I did read the article and it just doesn’t seem like the kids have any type of educational supervision. I applaud the kids who are actually doing what needs to be done to get into a University, but I just don’t see most kids working hard towards education on their own. Maybe I’m wrong, or maybe I’m just comparing to when I was that age, if I wasn’t pushed, I probably wouldn’t have worked hard towards education.[/QUOTE]

I am very cycnical but I think 80% of the kids in D1 at a mid to high level are not doing much more than these kids.

I f we land this kid I am o’kay with holding the other schollies or use them for a stud transfer. We should be 2 deep at every position next year.