Recruiting debate

Is this a serious question? Let's break it down for you...
  1. Javarris was a 3-star recruit
  2. Javarris was offered by schools like Arizona, Clemson, Illinois, Kansas, and Wake

Ok your turn to stop talking right there…

List of teams that were intertested.

Rivals. http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=60602

Scout. http://charlotte.scout.com/a.z?s=428&p=8&c=1&nid=2923787

I guess you did get Wake right.

I think it is too early to say he is a waste, I am more concerned with the fact that we are recruiting so many SGs. Not only because I fear for the same system for years to come, but because I think it creates a bottleneck at one position. However, one sg is 6’6" and another is 6’7", so that gives me hope.

Like I said, I can’t call someone a success or a waste until I see them on the court. And, we have had players develop here. If Ian improves as much this offseason as he did last, I see no reason why he can’t be a solid starter.

Ok your turn to stop talking right there....

Dude, if you are going to site, make sure your sources are reliable. Those websites usually have pretty good info. But they are usually the most accurate about the 5 star guys and don’t usually pay a lot of attention to guys like Javarris.

Ok your turn to stop talking right there....

I stand corrected. Arizona, Clemson, Illinois, Kansas, and Wake were looking at him, and this is documented in the Charlotte Observer. He was offered by Vanderbilt, Wake, Miami, South Carolina, St. Johns.

Nevertheless, that was never the point. Javarris is a 3-star recruit, and by no means a “waste of a scholarship”. Period. That’s just an asinine thing to say.

I stand corrected. Arizona, Clemson, Illinois, Kansas, and Wake were looking at him, and this is documented in the Charlotte Observer. He was offered by Vanderbilt, Wake, Miami, South Carolina, St. Johns.

Nevertheless, that was never the point. Javarris is a 3-star recruit, and by no means a “waste of a scholarship”. Period. That’s just an asinine thing to say.

Obviously we are going to just disagree but I’ll ask you one more question, do you think Lewis was a waste of scholarship?

[QUOTE=EE9er;310818]EJ and Dew were because of injury, totally different than what happened with Lewis and Barnett. Name me one player that redshirted who was healthy to play that ended up giving us anything the next year.[/QUOTE]
#23 Jarvis Lang was another 49er legend. He ended up gave us not one but three more years of “rim rocking” and he was also known as the"rebounding machine".

I really hate what happened to Jarrell Lewis. I think he just got the Lutz doghouse. Like so many things, it is difficult to prove it exists, but there is enough history to show that some players get preferential treatment at our school and others don’t.

I don’t know what Lewis did, but it must have been terrible, or he must have really just wanted the education. I hope (more than I do for most of our players) that he has a very successful life.

I really hate what happened to Jarrell Lewis. I think he just got the Lutz doghouse. Like so many things, it is difficult to prove it exists, but there is enough history to show that some players get preferential treatment at our school and others don't.

I don’t know what Lewis did, but it must have been terrible, or he must have really just wanted the education. I hope (more than I do for most of our players) that he has a very successful life.

He just wasn’t good. No doghouse could keep minutes away from a decent pg, when Carlos Williams is your starter.

Obviously we are going to just disagree but I'll ask you one more question, do you think Lewis was a waste of scholarship?
Lewis was a mystery to me. He seemed like he might at least develop into a serviceable backup point the first few times he played. I remember guys wondering what he must have done to get in Lutz' doghouse for so long. After ~ 4 years here, I think we can evaluate whether he's worked out.

But you’re saying Barnett is a “waste of a scholarship” before he’s even played his freshman year? How can you say that so certainly? It’s projections based on little evidence. Even if he’s a great shooter, it takes time to be used to new height, weight, and role on the court. I think he’ll be a small forward at the very least, and one that is a year behind wilderness and dewhurst (which is ideal).

Is it really a mystery why this happens to us though? We get some good guys (e.g. Wilderness), but given our position and the stranglehold the ACC has on our local recruits, we sometimes will have to fill gaps with 1) jucos, 2) projects, or 3) borderline talents. Lutz and staff need to either be exceptional recruiters (like Calipari at Memphis) or exceptional talent evaluators to catch overlook potential.

[QUOTE=49timesthelovin;310846]He just wasn’t good. No doghouse could keep minutes away from a decent pg, when Carlos Williams is your starter.[/QUOTE]

It is easy to feel that way when you are close to the program, and I don’t blame you. But Lutz has a history of not giving people a chance, or giving people a short leash.

I am sorry, but there is no way that Lewis was any worse than Phaler.

It is easy to feel that way when you are close to the program, and I don't blame you. But Lutz has a history of not giving people a chance, or giving people a short leash.

I could see why you would think that. But atleast Phaler had size.

Didn’t Phaler have one game last year where he hit 3 or 4 threes? I think Lutz was waiting for that game this year… and it never came.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;310831]I think it is too early to say he is a waste, I am more concerned with the fact that we are recruiting so many SGs. Not only because I fear for the same system for years to come, but because I think it creates a bottleneck at one position. However, one sg is 6’6" and another is 6’7", so that gives me hope.

Like I said, I can’t call someone a success or a waste until I see them on the court. And, we have had players develop here. If Ian improves as much this offseason as he did last, I see no reason why he can’t be a solid starter.[/QUOTE]

All due respect…if Ian is a starter for us next year we might as well mail it in.He’s a great kid,who can occasionally come in and hit a few 3’s(as well as throw up a few airballs and not be a very good defender)…I’m sorry,we ain’t going to the NCAA tourney with him as our starter!

[QUOTE=lucky57;310864]All due respect…if Ian is a starter for us next year we might as well mail it in.He’s a great kid,who can occasionally come in and hit a few 3’s(as well as throw up a few airballs and not be a very good defender)…I’m sorry,we ain’t going to the NCAA tourney with him as our starter![/QUOTE]

We did it with Plavich as a starter. Plavich was a worse basketball player as a senior than Ian is right now. Ian is not as explosive a scorer as Plavich, but he does so many more things. Do I think Ian should be a player we lean on? No way. Do I think he is a liability defensively, sure. Do I think we can win with him as a starter? Absolutely.

We did it with Plavich as a starter. Plavich was a worse basketball player as a senior than Ian is right now. Ian is not as explosive a scorer as Plavich, but he does so many more things. Do I think Ian should be a player we lean on? No way. Do I think he is a liability defensively, sure. Do I think we can win with him as a starter? Absolutely.

Ian is better than Plavich? SOOOOOOOOO WRONG!

[QUOTE=Powerbait;310871]We did it with Plavich as a starter. Plavich was a worse basketball player as a senior than Ian is right now. Ian is not as explosive a scorer as Plavich, but he does so many more things. Do I think Ian should be a player we lean on? No way. Do I think he is a liability defensively, sure. Do I think we can win with him as a starter? Absolutely.[/QUOTE]

We’ll just disagree on this one.I’ll say though that there were times that opponents planned their defensive strategy around stopping Plavich…and Ian ain’t gonna throw that kind of fear into anyone.I’m not saying Brendan was the be all/end all because he sure had a few holes in his game,but there were a number of games that he just carried us on his back,particularly tough road games,that I just don’t ever see Ian doing.He’s a role player.

We did it with Plavich as a starter. Plavich was a worse basketball player as a senior than Ian is right now.

Wow, did Plavich steal your girlfriend or something? That’s a ridiculous statement, Plav averaged 13 points a game against better competition in CUSA, won the game at Indiana all by himself. Sure he wasn’t a very good defender but Ian is light years behind Plav.

[QUOTE=Powerbait;310871] Plavich was a worse basketball player as a senior than Ian is right now. .[/QUOTE]

ARE YOU SERIOUS???

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;310892]Ok, move on. PB will argue a point forever. Do it somewhere else.

Anyone found any other scoop on Coleman??? Good report on NinerReport. Any other school message boards talking about him?[/QUOTE]

You’re right. That’s the sort of thing that should be discussed on a sports message board. Not here…

:biggrin:

[QUOTE=Powerbait;310871]We did it with Plavich as a starter. Plavich was a worse basketball player as a senior than Ian is right now. Ian is not as explosive a scorer as Plavich, but he does so many more things. Do I think Ian should be a player we lean on? No way. Do I think he is a liability defensively, sure. Do I think we can win with him as a starter? Absolutely.[/QUOTE]

That’s insanity.