Recruiting debate

Ian = Plavich. Play Ian 33 minutes per game, run the whole offense around him like Bobby did for Plavich and you get the same stats/results.

I donā€™t think you have ever seen either of them play.

Ian = Plavich. Play Ian 33 minutes per game, run the whole offense around him like Bobby did for Plavich and you get the same stats/results.

BS, Plav didnā€™t air ball 3ā€™s like Ian does. I like Ian but he isnā€™t a 30 minute per game Div 1 player, facts are facts.

Ianā€™s a decent shooter, but Plavich had amazing range and was more accurate. Ianā€™s got a great attitude, but he will have to get a whole lot better to be a good starter.

Booker was interesting. He was really big, but didnā€™t like to play inside. I think he was voted top player in Mississippi and averaged 30 a game in HS. Give me thatā€™s guys body and athleticism and I swear Iā€™d be going to the NBA.

The toughest things about evaluating a player is the competition heā€™s playing against and then how much you expect him to improve.

Itā€™s tougher with HS kids as 20ppg does not nec. translate into anything. If a guy played D-1 like Plav, DAngelo, Kelvin Price or Gerrity and had some success then you know youā€™re getting a serviceable player. JUCO is hard unless they dominated. But at least you can see their body at 20 and donā€™t have to project their game.

That said, maybe our evaluation process is not so great. Iā€™m not a pro, just a rank amateur, but after watching someone play a few games, I feel I can make some cogent analysis. Watched Gerrity a few times and could see that this guy is a penetrator, not profound but true. Jerrell Lewis, a guy who looked good but didnā€™t get results, Iti a gawky project (How did ESPN rate him #2 center after Kendrick Perkins of the Celts?). Booker, real soft.

Lutz is a bright guy but maybe the not the best evaluator of talent. I met him once and asked him who was gonna be the best player the year Rodney White played, and Lutz said Demon Brown. So, he had the top Freshman in the country and thought his teammate was going to be better. Who knows maybe Demon was better in practice.

Anyway itā€™s right to ask the questions. Maybe some people here do know as much as anyone, coaches included. But for myself, I think I only know more than some.

Biggest difference b/t Plav and Ian is that Plav was a weapon that yoou had to account for. He was able to stretch defenses. I donā€™t see that, or much else unfortunately, in Ian.

[QUOTE=bball49er;313877]Ian = Plavich. Play Ian 33 minutes per game, run the whole offense around him like Bobby did for Plavich and you get the same stats/results.[/QUOTE]

Thereā€™s no comparison with shooting ability. Plavich was a PURE shooter with unbelievable range. Ian has worked very hard to become a good shooter, but wasnā€™t even known for his long range shooting out of high school. Ian can do more for you than Plavich, though. He has better size, is more active defensively. I think Ian will be a solid player for us and have a key role the next 2 yrs.

Plavichā€™s problem was he forced too many and should have pump faked more but then risked being covered up because of lack of foot speed and elevation. I would love to have a Plavich every year, though. You just need a good PG and and some other weapons to prevent defenses from keying on that type of guy.

Booker was a perimeter player but much too slow and was not athletic enough for this level, at least to play the 3. Undersized and canā€™t jump and didnā€™t shoot it well = bench player. Hate to say it because but Benny recruited him. Everyone hits and misses. There was a connection from Antonio Harvey from the pfeiffer days with Lutz but Benny checked him out. But remember, Booker was a late spring signing. Thereā€™s not a whole lot left as far as impact high-schoolers.

Benny also was the main evaluator of Carlos Williams. Carlos was impressive in some all-star games and we needed a play-maker. Carlos showed some flashes but obviously was not as advertised. Benny recruited the Tomko (Indep PG) for us and got him at Wilmington. Heā€™s a good player.

Dalonte identified Ian while watching Beasley in a tournament out west. He liked him and Lutz picked up with the recruitment. Ian and his brother were blown away by Halton and the facilities and he was sold on being a Niner. Ian has been a good player, worked hard and will continue to get better.

Mox got Demon, Rodney, and most of the JUCOS over the years including of course Coley and Mack. Now Coleman and Spears.

Cheeks got Barnett and was close to landing several good high-schoolers out of GA but didnā€™t quite happen. Remember the PG who went to Oklahoma at the last minute. There were a couple of guys on that AAU team. I think Middleton and any of the SC Ravens and GA players you hear about are his guys.

Long story short, the assistants do most of the evaulation and make recommendations. Bobby had that role as an assistant to Melvin. Now he does his evaluation, listens to his assistants, looks at needs, projections and they decide which way to go.

Like I said before, all 8 of the new guys this past year met or exceeded expectations so I think weā€™re back on track with talent and talent evaluation.

There's no comparison with shooting ability. Plavich was a PURE shooter with unbelievable range. Ian has worked very hard to become a good shooter, but wasn't even known for his long range shooting out of high school. Ian can do more for you than Plavich, though. He has better size, is more active defensively. I think Ian will be a solid player for us and have a key role the next 2 yrs.

Plavichā€™s problem was he forced too many and should have pump faked more but then risked being covered up because of lack of foot speed and elevation. I would love to have a Plavich every year, though. You just need a good PG and and some other weapons to prevent defenses from keying on that type of guy.

The opposing team put one defender on Plavich. They currently put one defender on Ian. Ianā€™s second year shooting %s are a mirror of Plavā€™s senior year. Youā€™re correct about one thing. Ianā€™s height gives him an advantage over Plav.

Lutz ran the whole offense around Plav, even though we had Basden, Withers and Demon on the floor at the same time. Thatā€™s some good damn coaching there partner.

[QUOTE=bball49er;314109]The opposing team put one defender on Plavich. They currently put one defender on Ian. Ianā€™s second year shooting %s are a mirror of Plavā€™s senior year. Youā€™re correct about one thing. Ianā€™s height gives him an advantage over Plav.

Lutz ran the whole offense around Plav, even though we had Basden, Withers and Demon on the floor at the same time. Thatā€™s some good damn coaching there partner.[/QUOTE]

You donā€™t have a very good memory of Plavichā€™s 2 years then. Teams extended their defense way out to guard Plavich. He was covered as soon as he passed half-court. They keyed on him and knew he couldnā€™t be left open. All of the opposing coaches said it. The problem as you pointed out was we didnā€™t take advantage of it enough.

He was covered as soon as he passed half-court.
Oh my. Please stop.

[QUOTE=bball49er;314539]Oh my. Please stop.[/QUOTE]

after the Cuse game, he was.

easy, they have both come here and shown that they can play. They may not develop into great players, but they are at least on the level of a d-1 player, maybe not a good one, but at least they could play (therefore not being busts to me).

Best and Booker did nothing while they were here. I understand that occasionally you will get a player like that, but I feel like we have recently gotten a lot of players like that. And almost all of them have ended up tranferring out.

Why are we recruiting guys that arenā€™t going to sniff the court and apparently arenā€™t good enough to play D-2 basketball? That is a huge dropoff.

Now, we have a team of guy with only one project that redshirted, I like that better than what we have done recently.

http://gomastodons.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/090507aaa.html

[SIZE=2][COLOR=#03083f]Former Mastodon Tyler Best to Play Professionally in Uruguay[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Signs with Club Trouville

Tyler Best to play in Uruguay

Sept. 5, 2007

Fort Wayne, IN - Former IPFW center [COLOR=#03083f]Tyler Best[/COLOR] has signed a contract to play pro basketball in Uruguay.
Best has inked a contract with Club Trouville in the League of Uruguayan Basketball. Trouville won the LUB in 2006 and was a semi-finalist in 2007.
The 6ā€™9", 230 lb., big-man from Lafayette, Indiana played two seasons for IPFW. He averaged 9.2 points and 4.9 rebounds a game. Even more impressive was the way Best was able to get others involved in the offense. For his career, Best averaged over three assists a game.
ā€œThis is a great opportunity for Tyler,ā€ IPFW head menā€™s basketball coach [COLOR=#03083f]Dane Fife[/COLOR] said.
ā€œVery few people get the chance to make a living playing basketball. Tyler had a good career here and deserves a lot of credit for helping us elevate this program in our first two years. He will represent our program and IPFW well in Uruguay.ā€

sniff the court?
http://gomastodons.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/090507aaa.html

IPFW? Where the hell is that?

[URL=http://www.ipfw.edu][B][U]Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne[/U][/B][/URL], a school of about 8,000 students, obviously located in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

[QUOTE=shagg49er;313351]come on manā€¦ It is a ā€œ[B]Wast[/B] of a schollieā€[/QUOTE]

shhhhā€¦ stone cold might hear you.

[QUOTE=HP49er;314562][URL=http://www.ipfw.edu][B][U]Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne[/U][/B][/URL], a school of about 8,000 students, obviously located in Fort Wayne, Indiana.[/QUOTE]
Is it IUPUFW or is it IU-PU-FW or is it IU-PUFW or is it IUPU-FW or is it IUPUFWI or is it IU-PU-FWI or is it IU-PUFWI or is it IUPU-FWI or is it IUPFW or is it IU-P-FW or is it IU-PFW or is it IUP-FW or is it IUPFWI or is it IU-P-FWI or is it IU-PFWI or is it IUP-FWI

Soā€¦ which initials do they use?

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;314572]Is it IUPUFW or is it IU-PU-FW or is it IU-PUFW or is it IUPU-FW or is it IUPUFWI or is it IU-PU-FWI or is it IU-PUFWI or is it IUPU-FWI or is it IUPFW or is it IU-P-FW or is it IU-PFW or is it IUP-FW or is it IUPFWI or is it IU-P-FWI or is it IU-PFWI or is it IUP-FWI

Soā€¦ which initials do they use?[/QUOTE]
The Fort Wayne campus is IPFW.

BTW, the Indianapolis campus is IUPUI. Gotta love the ā€œpoliticsā€ of higher ed in Indiana when it comes to naming campuses not in Bloomington or West Lafayette! :rolleyes:

after the Cuse game, he was.
Okay I give. You guys are correct. Plavich had better range than any player in the history of college basketball. Opposing coaches feared him taking shots just across the half-court line.
Okay I give. You guys are correct. Plavich had better range than any player in the history of college basketball. Opposing coaches feared him taking shots just across the half-court line.

Well, best range Iā€™ve ever seen. Did you not see him play?

[QUOTE=DownwithNBA;314571]shhhhā€¦ stone cold might hear you.[/QUOTE]

donā€™t want to wake the dragon

[QUOTE=austinniner;314724]Well, best range Iā€™ve ever seen. Did you not see him play?[/QUOTE]

He did have great range, but was terribly streaky. If he had a better stroke, he probably would have been one of the greatest shooters, but he was so prone to just keep firing up terrible shots, outcome be damned.

As far as range goes, Plavich was better than most of our 2gs historically. But as far as being a basketball player goes, heā€™s mediocre at best. He got destroyed on the defensive end, and was not much of a dribbler or passer. I think Ian can be, and likely will be, a better basketball player than Plavich was.

Ian will never have the range of Plavich, and heā€™s an equally streaky shooter, but he is faster and a much better defender. Heā€™s also bigger.

And this is coming from a guy who was very critical of Andersen his freshman year and the first half of his sophomore year.