Restaurants in the University area?

Any recommendations on somewhere to grab some lunch around the university? I haven’t really eaten in the area in several years and checking to see if anyone has any tips/suggestions. We are bringing a couple w/ kid that are Marshall grads to the game this weekend and grabbing lunch prior to the game.

Nothing fancy but would prefer something decent/different. Comments/suggestions? Was thinking of even going to Picasso’s but it may be crowded and is relatively small. Ideas?

[quote=“NinerLove, post:1, topic:29453”]Any recommendations on somewhere to grab some lunch around the university? I haven’t really eaten in the area in several years and checking to see if anyone has any tips/suggestions. We are bringing a couple w/ kid that are Marshall grads to the game this weekend and grabbing lunch prior to the game.

Nothing fancy but would prefer something decent/different. Comments/suggestions? Was thinking of even going to Picasso’s but it may be crowded and is relatively small. Ideas?[/quote]
You do know that the game is at 7:00 pm don’t you?

[quote=“NinerLove, post:1, topic:29453”]Any recommendations on somewhere to grab some lunch around the university? I haven’t really eaten in the area in several years and checking to see if anyone has any tips/suggestions. We are bringing a couple w/ kid that are Marshall grads to the game this weekend and grabbing lunch prior to the game.

Nothing fancy but would prefer something decent/different. Comments/suggestions? Was thinking of even going to Picasso’s but it may be crowded and is relatively small. Ideas?[/quote]Supposedly the Pie 360 place up there is pretty good. It is off of Harris across from Rooms to Go. It’s an artisan pizza place I believe.

I would say Cheddars. Not even 5 minutes away from the back side of the University and its cheap. Shepherd’s pie and croissant rolls!

[quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:29453”][quote=“NinerLove, post:1, topic:29453”]Any recommendations on somewhere to grab some lunch around the university? I haven’t really eaten in the area in several years and checking to see if anyone has any tips/suggestions. We are bringing a couple w/ kid that are Marshall grads to the game this weekend and grabbing lunch prior to the game.

Nothing fancy but would prefer something decent/different. Comments/suggestions? Was thinking of even going to Picasso’s but it may be crowded and is relatively small. Ideas?[/quote]Supposedly the Pie 360 place up there is pretty good. It is off of Harris across from Rooms to Go. It’s an artisan pizza place I believe.[/quote]
You’re thinking Bistro 360, and I’m pretty sure they’ve gone out of business.

http://www.thaihouse.us.com/Content/2/PageDetails.aspx

If you like Thai food, The Thai House is great. It’s in the same shopping center as Picasso’s , so can grab a couple of beers there after if that’s your thing.

[quote=“emf, post:5, topic:29453”][quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:29453”][quote=“NinerLove, post:1, topic:29453”]Any recommendations on somewhere to grab some lunch around the university? I haven’t really eaten in the area in several years and checking to see if anyone has any tips/suggestions. We are bringing a couple w/ kid that are Marshall grads to the game this weekend and grabbing lunch prior to the game.

Nothing fancy but would prefer something decent/different. Comments/suggestions? Was thinking of even going to Picasso’s but it may be crowded and is relatively small. Ideas?[/quote]Supposedly the Pie 360 place up there is pretty good. It is off of Harris across from Rooms to Go. It’s an artisan pizza place I believe.[/quote]
You’re thinking Bistro 360, and I’m pretty sure they’ve gone out of business.[/quote]

Yup, didn’t make it two months. Seems no local places outside of chains do well in UCity’s stretch of Harris Blvd. Picassos and Firewater are the only ones I can think of. Something called “Rebecca’s” is going in on the other side of Cheddars but you can’t even see that place from the road.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:7, topic:29453”][quote=“emf, post:5, topic:29453”][quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:29453”][quote=“NinerLove, post:1, topic:29453”]Any recommendations on somewhere to grab some lunch around the university? I haven’t really eaten in the area in several years and checking to see if anyone has any tips/suggestions. We are bringing a couple w/ kid that are Marshall grads to the game this weekend and grabbing lunch prior to the game.

You’re thinking Bistro 360, and I’m pretty sure they’ve gone out of business.[/quote]

Yup, didn’t make it two months. Seems no local places outside of chains do well in UCity’s stretch of Harris Blvd. Picassos and Firewater are the only ones I can think of. Something called “Rebecca’s” is going in on the other side of Cheddars but you can’t even see that place from the road.[/quote]
Rebecca’s is supposed to be southern food but I haven’t been in there to check it out yet.

clt recommends the veal.

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:7, topic:29453”][quote=“emf, post:5, topic:29453”][quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:29453”][quote=“NinerLove, post:1, topic:29453”]Any recommendations on somewhere to grab some lunch around the university? I haven’t really eaten in the area in several years and checking to see if anyone has any tips/suggestions. We are bringing a couple w/ kid that are Marshall grads to the game this weekend and grabbing lunch prior to the game.

Yup, didn’t make it two months. Seems no local places outside of chains do well in UCity’s stretch of Harris Blvd. Picassos and Firewater are the only ones I can think of. Something called “Rebecca’s” is going in on the other side of Cheddars but you can’t even see that place from the road.[/quote]lol, had no idea. I never eat up there, I just remember seeing some good reviews for it and I saw the sign last night when I drove past on the way to the 85 on ramp.

UCity is a pit for dining.

[quote=“Niner National, post:10, topic:29453”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:7, topic:29453”][quote=“emf, post:5, topic:29453”][quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:29453”][quote=“NinerLove, post:1, topic:29453”]Any recommendations on somewhere to grab some lunch around the university? I haven’t really eaten in the area in several years and checking to see if anyone has any tips/suggestions. We are bringing a couple w/ kid that are Marshall grads to the game this weekend and grabbing lunch prior to the game.

Yup, didn’t make it two months. Seems no local places outside of chains do well in UCity’s stretch of Harris Blvd. Picassos and Firewater are the only ones I can think of. Something called “Rebecca’s” is going in on the other side of Cheddars but you can’t even see that place from the road.[/quote]lol, had no idea. I never eat up there, I just remember seeing some good reviews for it and I saw the sign last night when I drove past on the way to the 85 on ramp.

UCity is a pit for dining.[/quote]

Yeah, I realize it’s the epicenter of the best Charlotte has to offer and not a lot of stuff found online. That’s why I’m tapping into my “secret resources” that is NinerNation. Anyone been to Firewater?

[quote=“NinerLove, post:11, topic:29453”][quote=“Niner National, post:10, topic:29453”][quote=“49RFootballNow, post:7, topic:29453”][quote=“emf, post:5, topic:29453”][quote=“Niner National, post:3, topic:29453”][quote=“NinerLove, post:1, topic:29453”]Any recommendations on somewhere to grab some lunch around the university? I haven’t really eaten in the area in several years and checking to see if anyone has any tips/suggestions. We are bringing a couple w/ kid that are Marshall grads to the game this weekend and grabbing lunch prior to the game.

UCity is a pit for dining.[/quote]

Yeah, I realize it’s the epicenter of the best Charlotte has to offer and not a lot of stuff found online. That’s why I’m tapping into my “secret resources” that is NinerNation. Anyone been to Firewater?[/quote]

Good food, a little pricy. Good first date restaurant.

Pic’s hasn’t been busy for pregame the past few games I’ve gone to.

[quote=“Nugget, post:2, topic:29453”][quote=“NinerLove, post:1, topic:29453”]Any recommendations on somewhere to grab some lunch around the university? I haven’t really eaten in the area in several years and checking to see if anyone has any tips/suggestions. We are bringing a couple w/ kid that are Marshall grads to the game this weekend and grabbing lunch prior to the game.

Nothing fancy but would prefer something decent/different. Comments/suggestions? Was thinking of even going to Picasso’s but it may be crowded and is relatively small. Ideas?[/quote]
You do know that the game is at 7:00 pm don’t you?

Sadly, no I didn’t. Indicative of my state of enthusiasm I suppose. Nonetheless I will likely end up at Picasso’s. Thanks guys/gals for the info. Hope to see a few fellow Niners pregame!?[/quote]

Giacomo’s then hit up a bar. I also really like Macado’s food but the service is horrible.

Any reason it should be?

We go to Macado’s sometimes for lunch. Never been at night but the day service is alright.

Bar Louie by the hilton is pretty good…

Any reason it should be?[/quote]Was just letting him now since OP stated he figured it would be busy and was looking for alternatives. No need to look elsewhere. Pic’s will have space.

Food’s good, service is terrible. I’ve gone in there several times at lunchtime with three others. We all order sandwiches. Only two other tables occupied, so they’re not busy. Every time it takes 30-40 minutes to get our food. I’ve gone in there a couple of times after work for a drink, place is dead, I’ve sat at the bar for 10 minutes before the bartenderess decides to quit gossiping and ask what I want in an annoyed tone, implies I should pay for my drink right on the spot instead of running a tab.

I always enjoyed hitting McAllisters Deli before games. Good food and the perfect location. Then they had to move because of the landlord problems in that complex.

Shomars is pretty good if your just looking for food.