Rhode Island-49ers post game articles

[CENTER][/CENTER]

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/niners/story/534448.html][B][U]49ers keep A-10 drive alive[/U][/B][/URL], Charlotte Observer
[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/niners/story/534309.html][B][U]Observations[/U][/B][/URL], Charlotte Observer
[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/multimedia/galleries/gallery/533919.html][B][U]Slideshow[/U][/B][/URL], Charlotte Observer
[URL=http://gmine.blogspot.com/][B][U]Lutz: Goldwire proves he’s better than 3rd team all league[/U][/B][/URL], Charlotte Observer

[URL=http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_bkc_uri13_03-13-08_079C16M_v17.3e0c160.html][B][U]URI loses it on a pair of free throws in last tick[/U][/B][/URL], Providence Journal
[URL=http://www.projo.com/uri/content/sp_bkc_urijo13_03-13-08_LI9BVBI_v13.3e0b3ab.html][B][U]A-10 may seek new tourney site[/U][/B][/URL], Providence Journal
[URL=http://www.projo.com/uri/slideshow/2008/0312_uri/index_2.htm#19][B][U]Slideshow[/U][/B][/URL],
Providence Journal

Gerrity was clutch. That fall away shot that went in, I honestly thought that shot was no way in hell going to go in.

And ummmm, has Wilderness been practicing his threes with Goldwire and Ian? The beginning of the year he started off like 2-18 or something like that. He’s been hitting them of late. Maybe he’ll end up being a sharp shooter along with his Kobe driving skills.

Nice line from the Providence Journal story:

[QUOTE]The problem was that Charlotte was just as good, especially Goldwire, who proved he has the heart of a champion with fabulous clutch play just to keep his team close down the stretch. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE][B]URI loses it on a pair of free throws in last tick[/B]

07:50 AM EDT on Thursday, March 13, 2008

By PAUL KENYON
Journal Sports Writer

The Rams’ Lamonte Ulmer contests the 49ers’ Charlie Coley for the ball in the first half of yesterday’s first-round game of the Atlantic 10 Tournament.
The Providence Journal / Ruben W. Perez
ATLANTIC CITY — URI and Charlotte combined to produce 148 points, 14 3-point baskets, 47 fouls, 59 free throws and 32 turnovers last night in an exciting Atlantic 10 opening-round tournament game at Boardwalk Hall. .

Related links
Gallery: Photos of the game

Box score

[B]What made the foul against Seawright even tougher for URI to take was that Bitee was bumped by Charlotte guard Dijuan Harris just before the foul was called against Seawright[/B], as he was dribbling about 30 feet from the basket. URI coach Jim Baron chose his words carefully to avoid getting in trouble with conference officials, but he made it clear he strongly disagreed with the call against Seawright.

“I thought it was a fantastic game, going back and forth,” Baron said. “But I was tremendously disappointed. Down the stretch, I was tremendously disappointed.”

He made it clear his disappointment was not with his players.

[B]“The game was extremely physical. We knew it was going to be physical because it was physical at our place,” Baron said. “They missed the push the point guard had on Parfait, totally missed it. If you don’t call the first one, it is very, very difficult to call the second one.” [/B]

[B]The controversy at the end marred what was a terrific show. [/B]
[/QUOTE]

A little crying . . . but just blame it all on nothing but A-14 finest. :shades: What a great effort from everyone. Free throw was not great the first half. But, we made them when we needed them. We won last night . . . end of story.

[QUOTE]The problem was that Charlotte was just as good, [B]especially Goldwire, who proved he has the heart of a champion [/B]with fabulous clutch play just to keep his team close down the stretch. [/QUOTE]

We will miss you a great deal next year, [B][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=6][I]Big Guy[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B].

:49ers:

Man, I forgot how sweet it is to win in March… its been so long. Hard to believe that this is the first conference tournament win for Leemire. We’ve been bounced in the first round for the past 3 years.

Was anyone else as nervous as me when Gerrity went to the line? I remember 2 times this year he went 0/2 in late game situations. Lutz said he was supposed to miss the second but he accidentally made it.

That was a fun game to watch… even though I was listening to the audio on 1660 which was a good 10 seconds ahead of the video feed.

[B]What made the foul against Seawright even tougher for URI to take was that Bitee was bumped by Charlotte guard Dijuan Harris just before the foul was called against Seawright[/B], as he was dribbling about 30 feet from the basket. URI coach Jim Baron chose his words carefully to avoid getting in trouble with conference officials, but he made it clear he strongly disagreed with the call against Seawright.

“I thought it was a fantastic game, going back and forth,” Baron said. “But I was tremendously disappointed. Down the stretch, I was tremendously disappointed.”

He made it clear his disappointment was not with his players.

“The game was extremely physical. We knew it was going to be physical because it was physical at our place,” Baron said. “They missed the push the point guard had on Parfait, totally missed it. If you don’t call the first one, it is very, very difficult to call the second one.”

Yeah, Dijuan pushed Bitee’s forearm with his chest. :rolleyes: Give me a break. The refs totally missed the offensive foul call on Bitee, and made up for it by calling the illegal screen. And this may have been a physical game, but the refs were calling everything, even the lightest touch, so to say it was “physical” as if that shouldn’t have been called is ridiculous.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;304460]Nice line from the Providence Journal story:[/QUOTE]

That’s what ya call a tournament player -> We’ve been missing that for awhile.

Link: [URL=http://www.projo.com/uri/slideshow/2008/0312_uri/index_2.htm#19][B][U]Providence Journal Slideshow[/U][/B][/URL]

19 pohotos, this is a must see!

[CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Man, I forgot how sweet it is to win in March... its been so long.

Hell yes!!!

The Associated Press writer loves the 49ers. :wink:

[QUOTE][B]Gerrity free throws lead Charlotte over Rhode Island 75-73[/B]
By Tom Canavan, AP Sports Writer

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP)—[B][COLOR=Green]Michael Gerrity hit two free throws after a questionable foul call with less than a second to play and Charlotte rallied from a late five-point deficit to beat Rhode Island 75-73 in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Conference tournament Wednesday night.[/COLOR][/B]

Leemire Goldwire hit three clutch late 3-pointers and scored 23 points as the sixth-seeded 49ers advanced to a quarterfinal against third-seeded Massachusetts (21-9) on Thursday night.

[B][COLOR=green]An’Juan Wilderness added 14 points, Charlie Coley had 11, including two big free throws to tie the game, and Gerrity finished with 10 in the game the officials made two big calls against Rhode Island in the final minute.[/COLOR][/B]

Jimmy Baron had 25 points to lead the Rams, who fell to 21-11 after losing for the eighth time in the last 10 games. Will Daniels had 15 points and 12 rebounds before fouling out with 37.7 seconds to play.

Charlotte (19-12) trailed by five entering the second half and did not tie the game until Charlie Coley, a 53 percent free throw shooter, made two attempts from the line with 37.7 seconds to play.

Rhode Island called two time outs over the next 22 seconds. After the second time out, the Rams were working the ball up high when Kahiem Seawright was called for an offensive foul on a screen with 8.2 seconds to go.

After a time out, Gerrity took the inbounds pass in the backcourt, dribbled to the front court and made a move to the basket, where he was fouled by Keith Cothran with .3 seconds on the clock.

[B][COLOR=green]Rhode Island coach Jim Baron held his head in disbelief after the call by Will Bush.[/COLOR][/B]

Gerrity made both free throws to give Charlotte its only lead in the half.

The 49ers had pulled to within a point on five different occasions, twice failing to tie the game when Ian Anderson and Lamont Mack missed the front ends of 1-and-1 opportunities.[/QUOTE]

Utter’s reaction to that AP story was priceless.

As long as they go in your favor, bad calls are OK. It’s a timeless truth.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;304507]As long as they go in your favor, bad calls are OK. It’s a timeless truth.[/QUOTE]

I’m assuming you didn’t actually SEE the game.

As long as they go in your favor, bad calls are OK. It's a timeless truth.
So you're saying they were bad calls?

ESPN has featured the 49ers in the Second Article of [URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=notebook/atr080313]Around the Rim[/URL]

Let’s kicksome umASS!!

Mike, are you trying to flame, or did you actually make the trip to AC to cover the Charlotte team for your Charlotte paper?

i thought you’d be better than that.

I didn’t see them, don’t know other than RI fans are upset whether they were “bad” or not. I do know that complaining about officiating when it goes “against” you is bigger sport than the actual game, and calling it “sour grapes” when it goes for you is second.

they should move the tourney to charlotte :smiley: since it has been so bad in Atlantic City. I do not know what they expect though no connection to any teams and its in the middle of the week.

Mike, why are you in here preaching to us about bad calls and sour grapes if you didn’t even see the game?

dgreco, it was placed in Atlantic City due to the proximity of the Philadelphia-area teams. If they don’t win, no one will hang around for the weekend.

As for the officiating last night, you decide on… William Bush, John Hughes and 49ers favorite Ron Tyburski.

This season…
William Bush, 2-0 - Appalachian State and Rhode Island
John Hughes, 1-1 - Dayton and Rhode Island
Ron Tyburski, 1-3 - Massachusetts, Richmond, Temple (2nd) and Rhode Island