Rhode Island-49ers post game articles

[QUOTE=Max Power;304547]Mike, why are you in here preaching to us about bad calls and sour grapes if you didn’t even see the game?[/QUOTE]

he’s making a generalized statement.

I just get tired of fans – of any team – griping about officiating. Win by enough points to keep the officials from playing a role. There are bad calls, both ways, over the course of every game. Just deal with it. Pet peeve, sorry if it hit too close to home for some.

I didn't see them, don't know other than RI fans are upset whether they were "bad" or not. I do know that complaining about officiating when it goes "against" you is bigger sport than the actual game, and calling it "sour grapes" when it goes for you is second.

Mike, you shouldn’t speak on this until you watch the game. First, the refs were bad the entire game for everyone. But that last sequence was about right with how close they called the entire game. Everytime down the court was a foul during the game.

As for the last sequence, Harris was forearm shivered two feet. He wasn’t flopping either because he flew in the air two feet. The moving screen may have been a makeup call, but it was a moving screen. The guy blatantly shifted his lower body to get a shooter open.

As for the Gerrity foul, he was pushed in the back under the basket. So much attention was placed on Goldwire (the entire team cheated in his direction), the lane was wide open for Gerrity. The closest defender was BEHIND Gerrity on his way to the basket. Gerrity tried to stop and layup. Subsequently, he was pushed in mid-air to almost underneath the basket.

Everyone hates it when a referee decides a game, but RI gave the refs no choice but to call the fouls (you cannot be that blatant).

[QUOTE=cakewalk5;304556]Mike, you shouldn’t speak on this until you watch the game. First, the refs were bad the entire game for everyone. But that last sequence was about right with how close they called the entire game. Everytime down the court was a foul during the game.

As for the last sequence, Harris was forearm shivered two feet. He wasn’t flopping either because he flew in the air two feet. The moving screen may have been a makeup call, but it was a moving screen. The guy blatantly shifted his lower body to get a shooter open.

As for the Gerrity foul, he was pushed in the back under the basket. So much attention was placed on Goldwire (the entire team cheated in his direction), the lane was wide open for Gerrity. The closest defender was BEHIND Gerrity on his way to the basket. Gerrity tried to stop and layup. Subsequently, he was pushed in mid-air to almost underneath the basket.

Everyone hates it when a referee decides a game, but RI gave the refs no choice but to call the fouls (you cannot be that blatant).[/QUOTE]

he wasn’t just commenting about this game he was commenting about EVERY GAME.

he wasn't just commenting about this game he was commenting about EVERY GAME.

I hear ya, Dax. But he could have come out stating his position instead of making a comment that when read seems terse.

[QUOTE=dax;304558]he wasn’t just commenting about this game he was commenting about EVERY GAME.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Dax. In this case, it’s RI fans who are griping, and Charlotte fans who get to say “sour grapes,” based on your perception of that call, which I haven’t seen and don’t care to see. It’s the cliche response that’s gotten old. Congrats on the win, but I hate this kind of reponse to every close game out there.

I just get tired of fans -- of any team -- griping about officiating. Win by enough points to keep the officials from playing a role. There are bad calls, both ways, over the course of every game. Just deal with it. Pet peeve, sorry if it hit too close to home for some.
Hit too close to home? Sounds a bit snide. What do you mean?

Why should one team have to “win by enough points”? Particularly when teams are relatively evenly matched. Every fan of a team will have some biases with how they see the refs. But there are times when a ref changes the outcome of a close game with bad calls. Refs aren’t going to ever be perfect, but sometimes it is reality that the officiating was a part of the reason a team lost a particular game. On top of this, some teams get tremendous home court advantages with the refs (I’ve seen it with my own eyes at Wisconsin). That’s reality, but it doesn’t necessarily make it right.

Hit too close to home? Sounds a bit snide. What do you mean?

Why should one team have to “win by enough points”? Particularly when teams are relatively evenly matched. Every fan of a team will have some biases with how they see the refs. But there are times when a ref changes the outcome of a close game with bad calls. Refs aren’t going to ever be perfect, but sometimes it is reality that the officiating was a part of the reason a team lost a particular game. On top of this, some teams get tremendous home court advantages with the refs (I’ve seen it with my own eyes at Wisconsin). That’s reality, but it doesn’t necessarily make it right.

There was no way a team could get a lead or momentum last night anyways. What with some brazillion fouls being called?

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;304553]I just get tired of fans – of any team – griping about officiating. Win by enough points to keep the officials from playing a role. There are bad calls, both ways, over the course of every game. Just deal with it. Pet peeve, sorry if it hit too close to home for some.[/QUOTE]

I don’t see anything wrong with this statement. I’m sure Mike will admit that some of his fellow alumni are world class whiners in the rare occasion they don’t shoot 85 more FT’s than their opponent :tongue:

I’ll just add that sometimes fans go overboard (I can think of an A10 board poster that complains after EVERY game). There’s a balance between complaining in particularly poorly called games, and always complaining over every bad call.

[QUOTE=s9er;304570]I don’t see anything wrong with this statement. I’m sure Mike will admit that some of his fellow alumni are world class whiners in the rare occasion they don’t shoot 85 more FT’s than their opponent :tongue:[/QUOTE]

True dat.

Why blame yourself when you can pass it off on someone else? It’s the American way!!!:biggrin:

Doesn’t a LaSalle fan after every game give a rating of each referees performance?

Guys, think back this season to all the times wierd/bizarre/ridiculous calls (sometimes not even following the rules of the game) were made against charlotte this season and you complained. Now this time, you came out on the good end and another team complained about the same. Who cares. You won, get over it, move on.

Jim

[QUOTE=Jim Utter;304585]Guys, think back this season to all the times wierd/bizarre/ridiculous calls (sometimes not even following the rules of the game) were made against charlotte this season and you complained. Now this time, you came out on the good end and another team complained about the same. Who cares. You won, get over it, move on.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Exactly… Perhaps the tide has turned, don’t jinx it.

The refs aren’t biased, they’re just awful. I see nothing wrong with pointing that out and Jim does it all the time. But Mike you’re right when you say win by enough to keep the refs from making that kind of game-deciding call. URI had a comfortable lead relatively late in the second half and couldn’t stop us. That’s their fault as much as it is to our credit.

Guys, think back this season to all the times wierd/bizarre/ridiculous calls (sometimes not even following the rules of the game) were made against charlotte this season and you complained. Now this time, you came out on the good end and another team complained about the same. Who cares. You won, get over it, move on.

Jim

Except these calls didn’t seem wierd/bizarre/ridiculous to me. Were they blown calls? If not, what’s to get over? That’s all I’m saying. I agree though, we’ve both benefited and been hurt by crazy officiating this season in the A10.

[QUOTE=9erken;304599]Except these calls didn’t seem wierd/bizarre/ridiculous to me. Were they blown calls? If not, what’s to get over? That’s all I’m saying. I agree though, we’ve both benefited and been hurt by crazy officiating this season in the A10.[/QUOTE]

I bet my house that we had been called for a moving screen and followed that up with a call with .3 on the clock this board would have exploded. I’m sure Rhody has had the same crap officiating we have all year long, calls like that (right or wrong) are icing on a big old turd for the Rhody fans. I can empathize.

I bet my house that we had been called for a moving screen and followed that up with a call with .3 on the clock this board would have exploded. I'm sure Rhody has had the same crap officiating we have all year long, calls like that (right or wrong) are icing on a big old turd for the Rhody fans. I can empathize.
I agree, people would've been upset. I probably would've griped "they didn't call that all game" or something similar. We would've been wrong of course and might change our mind after cooling off some, but that's the price for fan passion. Would it be better if we passively watched that unfold and said something like "oh well, we were on the losing side this time, but since on the average it evens out, I won't comment at all on the officiating right now."

Moving on, I look forward to irritating Mike P tonight by complaining about the atrocious officiating we’re likely to get by A10 officials tonight. :tongue:

[QUOTE=9erken;304622]I agree, people would’ve been upset. I probably would’ve griped “they didn’t call that all game” or something similar. We would’ve been wrong of course and might change our mind after cooling off some, but that’s the price for fan passion. Would it be better if we passively watched that unfold and said something like “oh well, we were on the losing side this time, but since on the average it evens out, I won’t comment at all on the officiating right now.”

Moving on, [B]I look forward to irritating Mike P tonight [/B]by complaining about the atrocious officiating we’re likely to get by A10 officials tonight. :tongue:[/QUOTE]

Why would you want do a . . . silly thing like that?:tongue: