RIP Charlotte hoops 11/23/05

Let me preface this by saying that this post has nothing to do with me being fairweather. I was hardcore as a student and now in my 7th year of being a season ticket holder I believe I am entitled to something better than what I witnessed last night after I drove 4.5 hours to witness it.

As most of you know, I have been vocal about our “style” and our “coaching” for sometime now. Well, it all came to a head last night. I left at halftime because I can’t take Bobby Lutz anymore. I’m not giving up on our kids, I’m giving up on our “coaching”. We simply have no clue out there and nothing has changed…it wasn’t the fact that we scored 9 points at half and it wasn’t that we missed everything we shot, it was how we played.

Our players gave no effort in the first half. All they did was chuck up 3s, stand around on offense, play no defense, and I will not stand for this anymore.

I MEAN, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I didn’t think it could ever get this bad. However, this post is all about a regime change. Lutz has to go and this has to stop. Bobby won’t change his style, so I won’t support him anymore. I will not buy season tickets again until we get someone else in there who has a clue about disciplined play or something close.

So, rip away at me and call me what you will but I am just sick right now. I think I’m still in a state of shock at what I witnessed last night. I’m sick and tired of thinking about this crap and sick and tired of talking until I’m blue in the face about what we need to change. It’s obvious to me that this is the low point of our program in the past 10 years and the mild success we have experienced is gone, RIP.

So, have at me, but I know there are people on this board that feel exactly the same way.

[QUOTE=ATL_Niner;141081]Let me preface this by saying that this post has nothing to do with me being fairweather. I was hardcore as a student and now in my 7th year of being a season ticket holder I believe I am entitled to something better than what I witnessed last night after I drove 4.5 hours to witness it.[/QUOTE]

You live in Atlanta and have season tickets? I won’t call you fairweather.

so sad they died on my birthday :frowning:

[QUOTE=ATL_Niner;141081]Our players gave no effort in the first half. All they did was chuck up 3s, stand around on offense, play no defense, and I will not stand for this anymore.
[/QUOTE]

Disagree.

We played with effort.

We moved the ball on offense and had open looks all night inside and outside of the zone…we just can’t shoot.

Defense…c’mon. That was the best D we’ve played in some time. We held them to 21pts in the 1st half and 53pts for the game. Our D was fine…considering how bad we played on offense. Normally, when you play bad on offense, you let your confidence drop and you stop playing defense. We didn’t.

We played hard last night on both ends.

Just didn’t execute on offense and we are the worst shooting team I have ever witnessed at any level.

“Defense…c’mon. That was the best D we’ve played in some time. We held them to 21pts in the 1st half and 53pts for the game. Our D was fine…considering how bad we played on offense. Normally, when you play bad on offense, you let your confidence drop and you stop playing defense. We didn’t.”

I disagree. Our defense, while better, was more a result of Miss St. playing slow and methodical. They didn’t run and gun. They consistently milked the clock every time down the floor. That’s why they only scored 53. So a BAD Miss St. team, that will get trounced in the SEC, scored 53 playing at their pace. Had we played a good or even decent team last night, we would have lost by 50 and our opponent would have hung 85 on us.

They didn’t milk the clock. They couldn’t get into their sets. What game were you watching? Milking is passing it around, dribbling out. These guys couldn’t get any good looks. Our guys played good solid defense last night. Their weren’t many open looks (the big guy hit a couple of open 3s). Our guys played tough defense last night. They tried screen and rolls, we stepped out and helped. They tried dribble penetration, our help side cut it off, they tried to cross we recovered. Our guys were great defensively 90% of the game. Silly fouls, turnovers and poor shooting cost us that game. Those are 3 things that players without confidence do.

OK, so maybe it wasn’t milking the clock technically, but Miss St. didn’t play an up tempo game - some of which could be attributed to our D I’m sure - but the tempo played into the low score. Maybe I’m just a bit rusty on the whole defense thing, seeing as how we haven’t played it since Galen and Kelvin were here. Either way, we blew last night. Even when we had Wade Helliwell as our starting center or Curtis Nash as our point guard I still thought we had a chance in many games. After last night (and the two games out west), I have never felt so discouraged about a 49er men’s basketball team.

They couldn’t get into their sets becasue of injuries to their point guards. YOu can read the press conference quotes on the bottom of the story on Charlotte49ers.com and Stansbury references that a few times.

We lost to a team that lost 81% of its offense from a year ago. You’ have trouble getting into your sets if that happened to you. The Niners’ D was average, I don’t think it hurt them and I dont think it helped them as much as Bobby said it did.

Marcus Bennett needs to get into game shape and start bombing, or we’re in some trouble from the outside. I guarantee that every coach we play this year has that game tape on order …

[QUOTE=ATL_Niner;141081] I’m not giving up on our kids, I’m giving up on our “coaching”. [/QUOTE]

Ain’t nothing wrong with that. Lutz should be booed when his name is called in introductions if people feel that way, although the PA announcer will probably sneak it in the and start talking directly after. That’s what happened with Herb Sendek at UNCR in 2000ish. Everyone would boo, but they would say his name really quick and move on.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;141118]Disagree.

We played with effort.

We moved the ball on offense and had open looks all night inside and outside of the zone…we just can’t shoot.

Defense…c’mon. That was the best D we’ve played in some time. We held them to 21pts in the 1st half and 53pts for the game. Our D was fine…considering how bad we played on offense. Normally, when you play bad on offense, you let your confidence drop and you stop playing defense. We didn’t.

Just didn’t execute on offense and we are the worst shooting team I have ever witnessed at any level.[/QUOTE]

Good Post Ktown, I am glad some people actually watched what was going on out there. Face it guys, It is not strategy or coaching, We are in for a long season.

Thanks for sharing Atlanta 49er. At least we had one less boo-bird after haltime. Happy thanksgiving.

[QUOTE=BPfor3;141141]Thanks for sharing Atlanta 49er. At least we had one less boo-bird after haltime. Happy thanksgiving.[/QUOTE]

If it doesn’t concern you that loyal alumni like ATL49er are already fed up, then you have problems. He might be the only one has said it, but I guarantee alot more alums out there feel what he’s saying and will follow suit (and I’m not just talking about ones who post on this board). The athletic dept cares, I assure you, when it hits them in the wallet…even if you don’t.

[QUOTE=Iron9er;141147]If it doesn’t concern you that loyal alumni like ATL49er are already fed up, then you have problems. He might be the only one has said it, but I guarantee alot more alums out there feel what he’s saying and will follow suit (and I’m not just talking about ones who post on this board). The athletic dept cares, I assure you, when it hits them in the wallet…even if you don’t.[/QUOTE]

Before moving out of NC I had season tickets for years. So I’ve been in Halton to see both good and bad performances from Lutz coached teams. Some of the posts I’ve read in this thread represent the problems we have with this basketball program in total. While I agree with the comments of ATL_Niner and Iron9er, and I feel like Bobby Lutz is no longer the right coach for this program, I also think the problem goes beyond players, coaching, or strategy. One major problem is our fans. We have to hold this program to a higher standard. If we don’t who will? If a fan boos a poor performance (and they don’t get any worse than last night), it doesn’t mean the person is not a loyal fan. In my mind it is one of the only ways (besides posting on this site) that a fan can make their opinion known to the coach, players, AD, and everyone else associated with the program, including other fans. If I were a player on the team or a member of the coaching staff I would expect to hear it from the crowd during and after a game like last night. And I would wonder if the fans cared at all if I didn’t hear it from them.

Without condemning or defending Bobby, it could be time for a change, new blood. It’s a part of the coaching revolving door. Most head coaches average just under 7 years, if they’re successful, they move on to bigger places or greener ($$$) pastures, lose and they’re usually gone 4 to 5. This is Bobby’s eighth season.

And unfortunately for us as fans, if some up and coming hotshot coach comes to Charlotte and has some success, he’ll be off campus in a blink. Being a coach for the 49ers will always be a good job, not a great job and nothing close to an elite job.

[QUOTE=HP49er;141161]
And unfortunately for us as fans, if some up and coming hotshot coach comes to Charlotte and has some success, he’ll be off campus in a blink. Being a coach for the 49ers will always be a good job, not a great job and nothing close to an elite job.[/QUOTE]

That definitely makes Charlotte sound like a mid major. With the right people running the program we could move to the next level. But with the people who are running the athletic dept. now, you are probably right. We will remain a complacent mid major until changes are made.

[QUOTE=KTown49er;141118]Disagree.

We played with effort.

Just didn’t execute on offense and we are the worst shooting team I have ever witnessed at any level.[/QUOTE]

It may have been the “best D we’ve play in some time” but it was by no means good defense.

Miss. St. sucks and I am not understanding why some of you don’t see this. I had a couple hard core Miss St. fans sitting behind me and they even said so themselves. Injury and graduation have depleted them and they said that they don’t expect to finish over .500.

While some try to look for a silver lining in everything Lutz does, the bottom line is that we got held to 9 halftime points and beat on our home floor by a very bad team.

[QUOTE=49erpi;141380]It may have been the “best D we’ve play in some time” but it was by no means good defense.

Miss. St. sucks and I am not understanding why some of you don’t see this. I had a couple hard core Miss St. fans sitting behind me and they even said so themselves. Injury and graduation have depleted them and they said that they don’t expect to finish over .500.

While some try to look for a silver lining in everything Lutz does, the bottom line is that we got held to 9 halftime points and beat on our home floor by a very bad team.[/QUOTE]

I never said I thought Miss St was good. Nor did I say that I thought we were good (read my last dozen+ posts…I think we are truly awful).

My point was…we at least played with effort. I questioned our heart and effort early in the season. I was proud of the effort during the Miss St. game. Particularly because of how bad we played offensively.

Alot of players/teams sulk and give up completely when they fail miserably on offense. We didn’t. We still played hard…and I was at least proud of that.

But…we are an awful team right now. I have said it before we may be the worst shooting team I have ever seen on any level. We have lost to 3 BAD teams and barely beat another one.

I agree with you…we are awful.

But I admire the effort they played with against Miss St. regardless of the score.

ATL Niner, Let me make sure I got this straight. You drove up from Atlanta, watched only one half of basketball, and then drove back down to Atlanta?

Over40, if I remember correctly, ATL was coming up to Charlotte for a wedding.

Right now, I’m aching to see any college hoops in person, the downside to recuperation is I simply do not have the energy to sit through an entre event. I almost went over to HPU last night to watch some of the Western Carolina game nut decided not to venture into the chill.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out! If being a fan were easy we’d all be Duke fans.