RJ Slawson - South Carolina transfer 1 year remaining

RT @TheCaptain560: Of all the Gamecocks who are moving, RJ Slawson is by far the most coveted…Richmond, Jax, UT Chatt, MIA(Ohio), ODU and UNCC all options

6’8, 220lbs forward from South Carolina. Would be a good get for us this late in the game,
fill a hole this year then have Sullivan step in.

JT Thompson with Knee Ligaments.

That sounds like a big help for us.

I think most of us feel we need a 4th big, foul trouble, fatigue or injuries are going to happen. Need that 4th body bad.

Yes… get it done 2k…

[quote=“2k, post:1, topic:27827”]RT @TheCaptain560: Of all the Gamecocks who are moving, RJ Slawson is by far the most coveted…Richmond, Jax, UT Chatt, MIA(Ohio), ODU and UNCC all options

6’8, 220lbs forward from South Carolina. Would be a good get for us this late in the game,
fill a hole this year then have Sullivan step in.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-R.J.-Slawson-86860[/quote]

Would he be eligible next season?

If we land a kid like this, I will feel very good about next year.

[quote=“2k, post:4, topic:27827”]I think most of us feel we need a 4th big, foul trouble, fatigue or injuries are going to happen. Need that 4th body bad.[/quote]I’d like the Niners to have another center, someone with some more height, to back up or split time with Thorne. But we do need someone for next year who’ll be more ready to play. Hopefully we land this guy or someone like him and then start recruiting centers and post players pretty hard for next year.

perfect fit for what we need.

Great fit for him as well… I like our NCAA chances with him.

He is 6’8". That is center height in college, especially if he has a decent wingspan.

[quote=“Powerbait, post:10, topic:27827”]He is 6’8". That is center height in college, especially if he has a decent wingspan.[/quote]It depends on who you are playing and how athletic the guy is. In CUSA, that’ll probably usually be ok. Against some teams with either taller players or more athleticism, it’s marginal at center. But if a team has a center with real height and they know how to set him up down low, he can do a lot of damage (e.g. the guys playing for GW last year).

Don’t get me wrong though. This guy could probably really help us for next year if he comes. We need post depth of any kind, and an experienced player would likely be helpful.

There just aren’t a ton of quality 6’10" or taller guys out there.

that 6’11" shotblocker from lamar is graduating and i think would be eligible immediately.

[font=helvetica]http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/late-spring-update

[/font]

[font=helvetica]R.J. Slawson: The South Carolina transfer, who visited earlier this month, isn’t expected to decide on a new school until the first week of June. A 6-foot-8 forward, Slawson averaged 4.2 points and 3.3 rebounds in 2012-13, and would be eligible next season because he’s graduated from USC. While his numbers for the Gamecocks were modest, he’d fill a dire need for experienced size in the frontcourt.[/font]

[quote=“2k, post:14, topic:27827”][font=helvetica]http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/late-spring-update

[/font]

[font=helvetica]R.J. Slawson: The South Carolina transfer, who visited earlier this month, isn’t expected to decide on a new school until the first week of June. A 6-foot-8 forward, Slawson averaged 4.2 points and 3.3 rebounds in 2012-13, and would be eligible next season because he’s graduated from USC. While his numbers for the Gamecocks were modest, he’d fill a dire need for experienced size in the frontcourt.[/font]
[/quote]

Nice find! Has he even visited here yet?

[quote=“Iron9er, post:15, topic:27827”][quote=“2k, post:14, topic:27827”][font=helvetica]http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/late-spring-update

[/font]

[/quote]

Nice find! Has he even visited here yet?[/quote]Yes, he’s visited.

[quote=“2k, post:16, topic:27827”][quote=“Iron9er, post:15, topic:27827”][quote=“2k, post:14, topic:27827”][font=helvetica]http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/late-spring-update

[/font]

[/quote]

Nice find! Has he even visited here yet?[/quote]Yes, he’s visited.[/quote]

This would not be the first SC transfer we’ve ever signed. Anyone remember Calvin Clemmons?

I remember Calvin - had a class with him and noted how quiet and soft spoken he was, which I didn’t anticipate coming from such a big guy. Always sat in the front of class too.

[quote=“2k, post:16, topic:27827”][quote=“Iron9er, post:15, topic:27827”][quote=“2k, post:14, topic:27827”][font=helvetica]http://hamptonroads.com/2013/05/late-spring-update

[/font]

[/quote]

Nice find! Has he even visited here yet?[/quote]Yes, he’s visited.[/quote]
I’m assuming the lack of chatter and the lack of anything over at the other site means that his visit may not have gone all that well??

NLP says he wants mucho minutes.