Ron Sanchez a possible candidate at Washington State?

Several fans have also mentioned him on Twitter as a name they like. The 2 articles below mention him as well.

1 Like

I donā€™t see it happening but wouldnā€™t that be a kick in the Charlotte 49er basketball fan nuts. I donā€™t see how he could turn down double/triple salary though. I wonder when the last time an 8 win coach was hired away after his first year. That would be a ballzy hire by an AD.

He hasnā€™t really done enough as a head coach to earn that sort of job yet but makes me even more confident that if the next two years are progressively better then he will absolutely be hired away. Not worried about it right nowā€¦weā€™ll maybe a littleā€¦but hope Hill is actively building a pipeline for the next coach. I would love to see a huge turnaround leading to a NCAA bid before he left then we can go out and hire another coach to keep the momentum going where right now if he left it would yet another setback.

clt starts the return of lutz rumour

1 Like

Washington state is arguably the worst P5 job there is. There arenā€™t landing hot names.

Would Sanchez want to move his kids again so quickly? ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure he would be any better off with the exception of pay which I know is a big deal to a lot of people. Sanchez doesnā€™t seem like the kind to just leave for a bigger paycheck but nothing would surprise me after the luck we have had over the last 10 years. We really need some consistency for a few years to have any luck of getting this thing back on track.

This is ridiculous. Coach has yet to prove himself as a head coach. If anyone wants to hire an eight win first year coach, then they are stupid as hell. Anyone including him as a candidate is also stupid. That includes stupid fans and pundits. Idiots.

I smell a Sanchez extension coming in the near future!

Heā€™s not earned an extension yet. If he wants to bounce after year 1, so be it. Iā€™ll take the check

I like Sanchez and think he could do really good things here in time. $1.8m is a solid return after an 8 win season.

It was a joke on the previous AD!!!

1 Like

HYPOTHETICALā€¦
Say Sanchez was to leave, who do you think on his staff would be the best replacement ?

I donā€™t think you replace from his staff. Iā€™m not sure any of them are ready to be a CUSA head coach.

I hope Sanchez stays at Charlotte for 5+ years because the basketball program needs stability. If he were to leave I wouldnā€™t miss watching this style of basketball.

2 Likes

clt says the Sanchez era will remembered

No mention of Sanchez here.

I agree with 49er1. A team hiring him away would be crazy. It would also be crazy for him because if he bets on himself and turns us around then he will be in line for GOOD P5 jobs for sure. Honestly if he gets us dancing again then I expect him to be hired away and Iā€™m confident Hill will be able to land another good replacement. If we become a stepping stone for coaches on the way up Iā€™m fine with that because that means we are having consistently good seasons. I have no problem with that.

2 Likes

Maybe Hill sees value in the coach that rights the ship and pays for the success. Before everyone jumps on and says that they canā€™t afford to I say how can you afford not to. Make a coach leave because of the conference and not for money. Then address the conference.

To pay to keep a successful MBB coach at our level, several things need to happen:

• Move up to AAC
  • Coach needs a run for at a minimum 2 wins for the influx in NCAA credits
  • Lastly Coach needs to feel like it is sustainable, but also takes a special type of coach to stay at a G5 gig for longterm.
1 Like

Ideally we get guys that stick around 5-8 years and then leave after some sustained success for mid level P5 jobs. Iā€™ve stated numerous times there are only a 5-8 destination level jobs in NCAA sports and we should strive to consistently be a stepping stone for guys shooting for the stars getting to those big jobs. If in the process we find a Mark Few then awesome.