Ron Sanchez a possible candidate at Washington State?

I don’t think Sanchez is getting hired away but wasn’t Watkins only HC for two seasons?

That wasn’t my point. I was just starting a conversation about our assistants.

Maybe we should simplify what we “strive” for to simply be “winning”, then let the chips fall where they may.

I know we’ve debated this before, and I understand your point. But saying “we should strive to be a stepping stone” is just wrong.

Yes, HC for two seasons, but he was here for 24 seasons. 4 as a player, 18 as an assistant, and then 2 as HC.

Stepping Stone = Lots of Wins

1 Like

Also two successful seasons

Remember when we thought GT might want to hire Price away? :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

That was the exact same type fool’s gold as this. It was never happening and neither is this.

I don’t think it happens, but it was worth threading.

I don’t think it happens either, but this case is a little different. Sanchez was there for several years as an AC, so they are very familiar with him (one would assume that is a positive thing in this case).

FWIW, Wazzu AD Pat Chun has only been in Pullman since last year, when he was hired away from Florida Atlantic. Prior to that he was at Ohio State. So he most likely has little to no familiarity with Sanchez.

Yes. But Personally I strive for the Mark Few’s, Jay Wright’s, Bob Huggins, Bob McKillops out there than a stepping stone. Even Coach K has turned down more money to go to the Bulls, Celtics and Knicks.

That’s fine but the reality is those schools are still stepping stones and not destination jobs. They just got lucky. If that happens great but let’s not fool ourselves about our place. I’d love to find our mark few but chances are slim and I want a guy that is driven to perform at the highest level.

Yes, let’s not. Because we have no further to look for weighty evidence than two of our own alums: Watkins and Lutz. One who did leave for “greener pastures” (haha!) at tx a&m, and the other tried to leave for rocky top. So, no, we are not now or probably ever going to be “destination” jobs. But it would be nice to have some success here, regardless. It is possible and WILL happen again. I can’t wait.

1 Like

“Strive for stepping stone”? “know our place”? Sounds a lot like Spangler during the football initiative.

Those schools might have got lucky. But not anymore lucky than the schools that have routinely made good coaching hires. The only 2 that immediately come to hand are Tulsa and Xavier.

“The driven” point isn’t that accurate either. Are you saying you don’t want a Mark Few? Are you saying a McKillop isn’t driven? If a coach here doesn’t do well, he’ll be fired. So presumably any coach we hire would be driven. Mike Hill debunked the theory that if you stay somewhere too long you must not be driven.

I should probably just skip your posts on this subject because they make me want to become Walmart fan of a Power 5 school. :anguished: Because honestly, if one of our biggest fans is going around saying this, what’s the point of being a Niner fan?

It’s just a realist point of view. The Xavier model is perfect and what we should hope to emulate. If we land a Mark Few awesome, but the chances of that are slim. If we can become Xavier I’m thrilled that’s all. We’ve had two alums and both of them got success here and looked elsewhere. That’s ok though. I don’t disagree with you really. I just want to get to a place where we win so much that we either have to deal with a coach leaving us (likely) or hoping he will stay (ideal). As long as the coach we get has eyes On competing with the best and winning then I think you and I would both be happy.

1 Like

Man back up off the ledge…how has VCU done being a stepping stone? It can work, and really well. Doesnt mean we aren’t “good” fans, just realistic.

I think you’re missing what I’m saying. Of course I would love to have the success of VCU and Xavier. I’m just saying we shouldn’t go around saying that we should strive to be a stepping stone or the we should know our role. That’s what a P5 fan says to a non-P5, not what we should say about our self.

2 Likes

I agree Normmm