Ron Sanchez a possible candidate at Washington State?

Being a stepping stone is what all but about 10 schools are. We know we arenā€™t one of those schools. Some big P5 schools are still stepping stones. Itā€™s ok to admit that. I donā€™t think itā€™s a dirty word.

Of course neither side of this perspective matters until we win.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a connotation with it that is negative, that the place youā€™re currently at isnā€™t good enough.

Youā€™re acting like all of this is set in stone, that there are only 10 schools that are ā€œgreatā€. But that just isnā€™t the case. Things are ever evolving. What might be the mecca for one person isnā€™t that way for everybody. Look at Tenn when they tried to hire a football coach. The Green Bay Packers are considered one of the greats in the NFL. For me personally Iā€™d rather live in the south. Lebron canā€™t get anybody to come to LA. IU in college basketball. Caliparri just turned down 10+ million to go to UCLA.

If we are a stepping stone, then so be it. But we should ā€œstriveā€ to have a coach that wants to be in Charlotte as much as we love Charlotte. If we donā€™t strive for that then weā€™ll always be the little step brother.

2 Likes

Amen Norm

Letā€™s strive to win more than 15 games. Been a while.

1 Like

Some of us think our 8 win coach is getting hired away by a P5. We are the most unrealistic fan base in The US.

I donā€™t think anyone has said heā€™s getting hired away.

If it hasnā€™t occurred, Charlotte needs to do what programs like VCU do, that is have an on going list of HC candidates. There are consultants out there that do the work for you. VCU hasnā€™t seen a big drop off between coaches. I think the reason is their successful stack ranking program of available hires.

I think the reason is that Will Wade (and Shaka Smart) were paying players.

I think we should change the name of this thread to ā€œWhat happens if we start to win?ā€

Iā€™m sure Hill has such a list. Not sure if he keepā€™s it on the kitchen floor like Judy or not.

VCU has had decent luck with coaches going all the way back to the early days of Chuck Noe, Dana Kirk, and JD Barnett. Even the mediocre ones like Mike Polio, Sonny Smith, and Mack McCarthy who preceded Jeff Capel and Anthony Grant all had winning records. Really doubt any have been their players while in Richmond.

Now Will Wade in Baton Rouge is a totally different thing!

Wonder if Kentā€™s dismissal will change this:

Seems like ex-Niner Murphy still a Cougar:

1 Like

Enough about that, back to the stepping stone discussion!

Praise be! We almost lost him.

Appies are gonna hire Sanchez.

1 Like

Start a thread.

Sanchez still needs to win and show he can run a program but UVAs championship has only served to increase his stock value even further. I still think we get a sold four years (three more) but then heā€™s going to get hired away. And frankly, Iā€™d be happy to see it happen because it would mean weā€™ve won 20+ games and turned a corner. Then itā€™s up to Hill to hire someone that can build on that.

3 Likes

clt says uva has zero championships with Sanchez