Ryan Murphy - 2016 G - Committed

We got a commit today from a 2016. Ryan Murphy - http://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Murphy-25294

He might redshirt though looking at how much PT he might get.

Murphy looks decent. Appears to be a very good shooter. Trying to figure out his offer list. Looks like gonzaga offered. Visited st. Johns too. Can’t have too many shooters.

Did he reclassify from 2017? If it’s the same guy, he had offers from Xavier and Iowa state, as well as Portland and someone else and interest from power conferences. Not a bad offer list for a late add.

[quote=“sportsman1417, post:1, topic:30418”]We got a commit today from a 2016. Ryan Murphy - http://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Murphy-25294

He might redshirt though looking at how much PT he might get.[/quote]

Video

http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/598027?referrer_id=1431897

http://www.premierball.com/2017-ryan-murphy-interview/

Interesting he says he is “around” 6’3". Hopefully that means at least 6’2".

Maybe the mods should move this to his own thread

He’s ready now, I could understand him redshirting behind the lineup we have now. Incredible ball skills and I think Price will do really well with this kind of player.

Kid has a stroke that I don’t think we have seen since plav. Best form on his jumper on the team already. Will he be able to get it off or create separation at this level??

From some of his and1 maneuvers on the videos, doesn’t seem like he lacks for confidence

[quote=“cibik02, post:4, topic:30418”][quote=“sportsman1417, post:1, topic:30418”]We got a commit today from a 2016. Ryan Murphy - http://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Murphy-25294

He might redshirt though looking at how much PT he might get.[/quote]

Video

http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_article/show/598027?referrer_id=1431897

http://www.premierball.com/2017-ryan-murphy-interview/

Interesting he says he is “around” 6’3". Hopefully that means at least 6’2".

Maybe the mods should move this to his own thread[/quote] Agreed, he should have his own thread, given he’s a new commit.

Not sure what to think here, he seems to be a very good shooter, can score in some other ways, had some nice passes. No idea how he plays defense, looks a bit short (listed at 6’1" on the one site), and the competition level in the videos seems pretty poor. On the other hand, he looks much better than the usual late addition, so I’ll be interested to see how he does, redshirt or not.

He seems like he might be filling Curran Scott’s spot in a way.

One other thing. I do wonder if Price’s playing experiences make him more likely to take a chance on guys other people might think are undersized. He probably feels that he knows how to help them overcome the same hurdles he did.

one thing that i think will help this kid is that we are not counting on him to come in and start or contribute a lot. he can come in, get some minutes, hit threes and give us added depth so that perhaps we can overcome our lack of proven inside talent by pressing a lot. thats what i really want to see, us press a ton. nice looking stroke and if schools like xavier and iowa state offer, the kid must have some talent. i like that he can play point guard and shooting guard, so we have versatility in terms of what lineups we can put out there.

This would be the kind of kid we need to stay all 4 years.
Might not get big minutes as an underclassmen (but that’s good), but can learn and be an upperclassmen leader and give us some guaranteed talent/depth.

Our program for the past couple years has relied so heavily on young kids we have to “throw into the fire”, I’m hoping that can start to change.

He was at the Charlotte Elite Camp about a week and a half ago. Flew in from California. Word was his dad loved Price as a player and flew him out to the camp.

He didn’t overly impress me. I think he’s class of '17. Not extremely athletic. He did seem to be a very hard worker to me so the coaching staff must have seen that and liked it. I felt that there were 3 or 4 other guards at that camp that were better (more athletic and just as good if not better of a shooter).

[quote=“N1NER, post:11, topic:30418”]He was at the Charlotte Elite Camp about a week and a half ago. Flew in from California. Word was his dad loved Price as a player and flew him out to the camp.

He didn’t overly impress me. I think he’s class of '17. Not extremely athletic. He did seem to be a very hard worker to me so the coaching staff must have seen that and liked it. I felt that there were 3 or 4 other guards at that camp that were better (more athletic and just as good if not better of a shooter).[/quote]

interesting assessment. can you give a rundown of his game based on what you saw and maybe name some of the other guys that you saw that you were impressed with? do you think he at least provides a valuable shooting option as a freshman?

[quote=“N1NER, post:11, topic:30418”]He was at the Charlotte Elite Camp about a week and a half ago. Flew in from California. Word was his dad loved Price as a player and flew him out to the camp.

He didn’t overly impress me. I think he’s class of '17. Not extremely athletic. He did seem to be a very hard worker to me so the coaching staff must have seen that and liked it. I felt that there were 3 or 4 other guards at that camp that were better (more athletic and just as good if not better of a shooter).[/quote]Rick Lewis seemed to really like him.

I’m good with the signing. Our starters are in place, so he will either get to redshirt and get a year of practice under his belt against some quality guards, or he can give us some time off the bench so our main guys can player harder on defense while they’re out there. Hard to press all game when some of your guys are getting 35+ minutes.

This kid doesnt need to redshirt he’s ready to play. I would have rather seen us land another big man with that last scholarship but from what ive seen he easily has potential to completely negate the loss of Scott. Hopefully we will get more than one year out of him.

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:12, topic:30418”][quote=“N1NER, post:11, topic:30418”]He was at the Charlotte Elite Camp about a week and a half ago. Flew in from California. Word was his dad loved Price as a player and flew him out to the camp.

He didn’t overly impress me. I think he’s class of '17. Not extremely athletic. He did seem to be a very hard worker to me so the coaching staff must have seen that and liked it. I felt that there were 3 or 4 other guards at that camp that were better (more athletic and just as good if not better of a shooter).[/quote]

interesting assessment. can you give a rundown of his game based on what you saw and maybe name some of the other guys that you saw that you were impressed with? do you think he at least provides a valuable shooting option as a freshman?[/quote]

Kody Shubert is another guy that was there at the Elite camp that jumped out to me. I think he is Class of '18. He’s quicker, more athletic, and shoots the ball better than Murphy, but he’s not as strong. He’s also shorter (6’0 I think), but can get up and throw it down.

Again, I only saw Murphy for 3 hours one day. Price & Co I’m sure have seen him multiple times. I trust their judgement better than mine. Just going on what I saw that day.

[quote=“N1NER, post:15, topic:30418”][quote=“ninerfan55, post:12, topic:30418”][quote=“N1NER, post:11, topic:30418”]He was at the Charlotte Elite Camp about a week and a half ago. Flew in from California. Word was his dad loved Price as a player and flew him out to the camp.

interesting assessment. can you give a rundown of his game based on what you saw and maybe name some of the other guys that you saw that you were impressed with? do you think he at least provides a valuable shooting option as a freshman?[/quote]

Kody Shubert is another guy that was there at the Elite camp that jumped out to me. I think he is Class of '18. He’s quicker, more athletic, and shoots the ball better than Murphy, but he’s not as strong. He’s also shorter (6’0 I think), but can get up and throw it down.

Again, I only saw Murphy for 3 hours one day. Price & Co I’m sure have seen him multiple times. I trust their judgement better than mine. Just going on what I saw that day.[/quote]

i wonder if we are still recruiting shubert hard. he sounds like he could be a bit of a sleeper in the 2018 class.

Again, I only saw Murphy for 3 hours one day. Price & Co I’m sure have seen him multiple times. I trust their judgement better than mine. Just going on what I saw that day.
[/quote]

i wonder if we are still recruiting shubert hard. he sounds like he could be a bit of a sleeper in the 2018 class.
[/quote]

So this is nothing offical, just whispers through the grapevine. But my friends little brother plays for my old highschool’s basketball team, which is in the same confrence as Kody, and one of the guys on my old highschools team is good friends with Kody and he said Kody commited here…now thats just what I heard…its nothing offical, and it may not be true, its just what i heard.

[quote=“Niner2395, post:17, topic:30418”]Kody Shubert is another guy that was there at the Elite camp that jumped out to me. I think he is Class of '18. He’s quicker, more athletic, and shoots the ball better than Murphy, but he’s not as strong. He’s also shorter (6’0 I think), but can get up and throw it down.

Again, I only saw Murphy for 3 hours one day. Price & Co I’m sure have seen him multiple times. I trust their judgement better than mine. Just going on what I saw that day.[/quote]

So this is nothing offical, just whispers through the grapevine. But my friends little brother plays for my old highschool’s basketball team, which is in the same confrence as Kody, and one of the guys on my old highschools team is good friends with Kody and he said Kody commited here…now thats just what I heard…its nothing offical, and it may not be true, its just what i heard.

i know what ninernation will say, “another guard”. if its true, he is 2018. not doubting your source, but lets say that is true, why wouldnt koby announce his committment?

i know what ninernation will say, “another guard”. if its true, he is 2018. not doubting your source, but lets say that is true, why wouldnt koby announce his committment?
[/quote]

Thats the thing, I dont know. Maybe he is waiting for an offical offer bc I dont see him on any website as being offered by us, even though i know we are interested in him. I heard this from a 16 year old kid so take it with a grain of salt, its just what i heard from a source close to him

[quote=“ninerfan55, post:18, topic:30418”][quote=“Niner2395, post:17, topic:30418”]Kody Shubert is another guy that was there at the Elite camp that jumped out to me. I think he is Class of '18. He’s quicker, more athletic, and shoots the ball better than Murphy, but he’s not as strong. He’s also shorter (6’0 I think), but can get up and throw it down.

i know what ninernation will say, “another guard”. if its true, he is 2018. not doubting your source, but lets say that is true, why wouldnt koby announce his committment?[/quote]Even if true, a lot can change in 2 years. I never trust commitments that come more than a year before kids enroll.