Sad to watch...

Because they were such a stellar duo in the first place.[/quote]

You’re right Feltis…thats why they’ve both struggled so much to find good jobs elsewhere ::slight_smile: …man, its too bad those other ADs and HCs around the country don’t know as much as you do.

Yes, if only we could “suck” like that again… ::)[/quote]

A selective memory…can be pathological too.[/quote]

You mean like picking certain seasons to “prove” your point that Lutz “sucked” (including a 19-12 season)…you mean like that kind of selective memory?[/quote]

Yeah, go back and see how that wonderful season ended. Hint: Final straw: 6 on the floor. :cry:

The video linked at the beginning of this thread is an interview from game that we lost and from a season in which we finished 10-20.

But please, continue waxing poetic.

“You’d think a man with three graduate degrees and two undergraduate degrees could count to five,” 49ers coach Bobby Lutz said. “That one’s on me.”

[quote=“casstommy, post:23, topic:26486”]The video linked at the beginning of this thread is an interview from game that we lost and from a season in which we finished 10-20.

But please, continue waxing poetic.[/quote]

Is it time for: [/color]Poetry Slam 2012
[color=green]

You’re right, they have a track record of being excellent assistant coaches.

Incorrect.

[quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:9, topic:26486”]What is sad about these threads is that they will read by recruits, parents of recruits, and high school coaches.

I wasn’t happy with this season results but you don’t see me going to the internet to cry like some little b****. Donate more money to the program then maybe the AD will listen to your half-ass cause.[/quote] Sounds like you are asking those of us that are not happy with the past two seasons to shut up? Do you want only people who are happy with our progress to have a say on this forum? Also you are working on the mistaken assumption that those of us discussing the state of our program are not contributing to make it better. Be happy for you to check my lifetime contributions to the program. I have EARNED my right to complain with money, season ticket purchases & tournament attendance for years. Thank you very much!

[quote=“hky49er, post:28, topic:26486”][quote=“bleedsgreenandgold, post:9, topic:26486”]What is sad about these threads is that they will read by recruits, parents of recruits, and high school coaches.

I wasn’t happy with this season results but you don’t see me going to the internet to cry like some little b****. Donate more money to the program then maybe the AD will listen to your half-ass cause.[/quote] Sounds like you are asking those of us that are not happy with the past two seasons to shut up? Do you want only people who are happy with our progress to have a say on this forum? Also you are working on the mistaken assumption that those of us discussing the state of our program are not contributing to make it better. Be happy for you to check my lifetime contributions to the program. I have EARNED my right to complain with money, season ticket purchases & tournament attendance for years. Thank you very much![/quote]

My rant was directed at the trolls that decide to invade the board at the end of every bad season. It happened during the Lutz years and it’s happening now

There is a difference between trolling and showing your disatisfaction in a mature manner.

Incorrect.[/quote]

I stand corrected. All the shitty seasons start to blur after a while

I believe some of our fans think that there is a list out there of available coaches who will work for $500k, win 23 games, and make it to the second round of the NCAAs annually, but Judy refuses to look at it. If this list existed 9 ACC schools would be hiring new coaches as we speak–but it doesn’t.

We have to take chances when we hire a coach. That is where we are in the food chain. Luckily our record is pretty good and we benefit from those undervalued coaches until one of the predator schools decides they will just buy the coach away from us. There is nothing we can do to change this.

Sometimes you have to just decide you are a Niners fan and work through the lean years without soiling your pants. If you cannot do that, if you feel that you must win every year, then all I can suggest is that you go to Walmart and buy a Tarheel shirt like the thousands of others just like you.

For me, while this year was another tough one it is going to be a lot of fun when we do play ourselves into a conference tournament bye again. Maybe it is because I started out with Pratt and Wissell that I enjoyed Mullins and Watkins so much. If Major turns this around it is going to be a lot more fun to watch than seeing the Tarheels thump Wake Forest…again. I am willing to take the chance, but if you cannot stomach the ride, get off.

[quote=“Nugget, post:31, topic:26486”]I believe some of our fans think that there is a list out there of available coaches who will work for $500k, win 23 games, and make it to the second round of the NCAAs annually, but Judy refuses to look at it. If this list existed 9 ACC schools would be hiring new coaches as we speak–but it doesn’t.

We have to take chances when we hire a coach. That is where we are in the food chain. Luckily our record is pretty good and we benefit from those undervalued coaches until one of the predator schools decides they will just buy the coach away from us. There is nothing we can do to change this.

Sometimes you have to just decide you are a Niners fan and work through the lean years without soiling your pants. If you cannot do that, if you feel that you must win every year, then all I can suggest is that you go to Walmart and buy a Tarheel shirt like the thousands of others just like you.

For me, while this year was another tough one it is going to be a lot of fun when we do play ourselves into a conference tournament bye again. Maybe it is because I started out with Pratt and Wissell that I enjoyed Mullins and Watkins so much. If Major turns this around it is going to be a lot more fun to watch than seeing the Tarheels thump Wake Forest…again. I am willing to take the chance, but if you cannot stomach the ride, get off.[/quote]

Could not have said it better myself.

[quote=“Nugget, post:31, topic:26486”]I believe some of our fans think that there is a list out there of available coaches who will work for $500k, win 23 games, and make it to the second round of the NCAAs annually, but Judy refuses to look at it. If this list existed 9 ACC schools would be hiring new coaches as we speak–but it doesn’t.

For me, while this year was another tough one it is going to be a lot of fun when we do play ourselves into a conference tournament bye again. Maybe it is because I started out with Pratt and Wissell that I enjoyed Mullins and Watkins so much. If Major turns this around it is going to be a lot more fun to watch than seeing the Tarheels thump Wake Forest…again. I am willing to take the chance, but if you cannot stomach the ride, get off.[/quote]

POY for me.

I concur.

For me, while this year was another tough one it is going to be a lot of fun when we do play ourselves into a conference tournament bye again. Maybe it is because I started out with Pratt and Wissell that I enjoyed Mullins and Watkins so much. If Major turns this around it is going to be a lot more fun to watch than seeing the Tarheels thump Wake Forest…again. I am willing to take the chance, but if you cannot stomach the ride, get off.[/quote]Stated perfectly.

Completely agree, but not because 2k agrees.

[quote=“NLP, post:36, topic:26486”][quote=“Nugget, post:31, topic:26486”]I believe some of our fans think that there is a list out there of available coaches who will work for $500k, win 23 games, and make it to the second round of the NCAAs annually, but Judy refuses to look at it. If this list existed 9 ACC schools would be hiring new coaches as we speak–but it doesn’t.

Completely agree, but not because 2k agrees.[/quote]

+1

You can include me as one of those fans.

I think for schools above the ‘bracketbuster level’, you either pick one of two options: promote a coach from within the organization or you hire a successful head coach from the outside - either a retread (which I don’t particularly like) or a rising up-and-comer.

Using older NBA drafts as an analogy, college kids were seen as safe and high school kids were a risk. If a HS kid didn’t make it or struggled in his first couple seasons, they’d say, “Well, he probably should have gone to college instead”. If the HS kid made it, he’d be considered exceptional. The idea is that college experience would help.

It’s the same thing with hiring a guy with zero college head coaching experience at a high level. If someone is successful right away, they’re exceptional. If not, they probably should have started out a little lower. I like how an Andy Enfield (former NBA & Florida State coach) starts out at a Florida Gulf Coast and will undoubtedly work his way up the food chain in the next few seasons. I also notice that, for the most part, whenever a high-level school does make a rare move at chancing it with a zero-experience outsider, that coach will tend to struggle big time out of the gate (see Kellogg @ UMass, Mooney @ Richmond, or even a Drexler @ Houston).

I’m not against hiring a bcs assistant if that person happens to be the best applicant for the job. No more than being against an old NBA team selecting a HS player for their draft pick over a college kid or international. What I would be against is an NBA team deciding on restricting themselves to only picking a HS kid. Why shortchange yourself by artificially decreasing your pool of candidates for a silly reason? If Judy had a list including a Robert Morris head coach like a Mike Rice, or a Gregg Marshall @ Winthrop type of candidate (please, no Buzz), I’d be a little less critical of her hiring practice. But when your list is EXCLUSIVELY bcs assistants and you know that a head coach would never even get an interview, I get pissed.

I hate this thinking. We didn’t have to take chances when we hire a coach. We behaved as if a Jeff Mullens could be found at a dime-a-dozen and got burnt for it (at least for the first two years). To say that it was our ONLY option is BS.

You can include me as one of those fans.

I think for schools above the ‘bracketbuster level’, you either pick one of two options: promote a coach from within the organization or you hire a successful head coach from the outside - either a retread (which I don’t particularly like) or a rising up-and-comer.

Using older NBA drafts as an analogy, college kids were seen as safe and high school kids were a risk. If a HS kid didn’t make it or struggled in his first couple seasons, they’d say, “Well, he probably should have gone to college instead”. If the HS kid made it, he’d be considered exceptional. The idea is that college experience would help.

It’s the same thing with hiring a guy with zero college head coaching experience at a high level. If someone is successful right away, they’re exceptional. If not, they probably should have started out a little lower. I like how an Andy Enfield (former NBA & Florida State coach) starts out at a Florida Gulf Coast and will undoubtedly work his way up the food chain in the next few seasons. I also notice that, for the most part, whenever a high-level school does make a rare move at chancing it with a zero-experience outsider, that coach will tend to struggle big time out of the gate (see Kellogg @ UMass, Mooney @ Richmond, or even a Drexler @ Houston).

I’m not against hiring a bcs assistant if that person happens to be the best applicant for the job. No more than being against an old NBA team selecting a HS player for their draft pick over a college kid or international. What I would be against is an NBA team deciding on restricting themselves to only picking a HS kid. Why shortchange yourself by artificially decreasing your pool of candidates for a silly reason? If Judy had a list including a Robert Morris head coach like a Mike Rice, or a Gregg Marshall @ Winthrop type of candidate (please, no Buzz), I’d be a little less critical of her hiring practice. But when your list is EXCLUSIVELY bcs assistants and you know that a head coach would never even get an interview, I get pissed.

I hate this thinking. We didn’t have to take chances when we hire a coach. We behaved as if a Jeff Mullens could be found at a dime-a-dozen and got burnt for it (at least for the first two years). To say that it was our ONLY option is BS.

Good post!

[quote=“survivor45, post:38, topic:26486”]I’m not against hiring a bcs assistant if that person happens to be the best applicant for the job. No more than being against an old NBA team selecting a HS player for their draft pick over a college kid or international. What I would be against is an NBA team deciding on restricting themselves to only picking a HS kid. Why shortchange yourself by artificially decreasing your pool of candidates for a silly reason? If Judy had a list including a Robert Morris head coach like a Mike Rice, or a Gregg Marshall @ Winthrop type of candidate (please, no Buzz), I’d be a little less critical of her hiring practice. But when your list is EXCLUSIVELY bcs assistants and you know that a head coach would never even get an interview, I get pissed.[/quote] I agree that head coaches should be part of the consideration, but I disagree when Mike Rice and Gregg Marshall keep coming up in these discussions as potential candidates for the job at Charlotte. Mike Rice was holding out for a BCS job, and he got it along with a big payday. Do you really think he was taking the Charlotte job? Gregg Marshall had had only meager success at Wichita St. two years ago, but that doesn’t really matter, it is very unlikely he would’ve left there anyway given their fan support and resources to pay him (he just got a contract extension through 2018 last year where he reportedly earns seven figures and turned down BCS offers to stay). Supposedly folks are skeptical he would even take the South Carolina job.
(Edit: I see now you said Marshall at Winthrop-type candidate. That might’ve made more sense when he was still available, but were there others out there like him that would’ve taken the job? Like who?)

Due to the more rapid turnover in coaching ranks, it is much harder to hire a known successful head coach from even smaller programs (like Robert Morris and Winthrop) because they will have big money opportunities. This means you have to take a chance on a head coach that hasn’t had success yet, and that means a similar risk to hiring an assistant coach. You just don’t know yet if they are capable of taking a team to the next level.

The fact that we don’t have that fan support and resources here is a different issue, though you could make a realistic case that mishandling of the basketball program is part of why it came to that (e.g. maybe if the coaching change had happened sooner, Gregg Marshall would’ve been a realistic candidate).