Saint Louis Post Game

I’ve seen all the games. Damn our team for missing open jumpshots and layups all year long. Major needs to tell the to hit’em.

Our players have zero respect from our coaching staff. Only group of kids in the nation to have issues and play too fast. I blame Major for not putting sedatives in the Gatorade.

Well from where I was sitting it seemed to me the whistle was blown while the ball was in the air, but we’ll never know for sure. I’ve been in my rule book ever since the game was over trying to sort this one out, and the only way it even makes remote sense is if the ball was in the air. Our player basically form tackled the screen man while the ball was in the air, there is no denying that. You can’t disallow the shot, because it had already been released, not to mention the foul was on us. When a foul occurs you have to award possession to the team that gets fouled. This may be the one call they actually got right.[/quote]

I beg to differ. I heard the whistle as I posted before and then watched the shot be released clearly after hearing the whistle. It even appeared that most of the players reacted to the whistle before the shot was released.[/quote] I was able to see a replay on the TV moniter. The foul on the screener occurred so much before the shooter was in his motion that it wasn’t even close. Total B.S.

Furthermore, one of the St. Louis goons elbowed the hell out of our guy crossing the lane on our very first offensive possession with the ref looking straight at him and no foul. Henry got mugged in our backcourt, the ball goes out and St Louis is awarded possession. St Louis guy reaches in a locks arms with Henry and both take about 4 steps and no call(no foul, no jump ball, no traveling) Elbow to face, foul called, moniter looked at, no technical foul. (Have to defend the refs on that one–the rule as only been in effect for about 2 years so they most likely haven’t heard about it.) My very favorite call, however, was when Braswell fouled and they took the ball out beyond the baseline and the guy ran just like after a made basket and 3 refs missed it. Yes, they were bad.

I hope that our wonderful league office gets to see a tape of that play.[/quote] You know, I would not be surprised if the other 2 refs told that guy he had screwed up and he was too embarrassed to reverse his call. He was also too big for me to beat up after the game, dammit.

I hope that our wonderful league office gets to see a tape of that play.[/quote] You know, I would not be surprised if the other 2 refs told that guy he had screwed up and he was too embarrassed to reverse his call. He was also too big for me to beat up after the game, dammit.[/quote]

You and I could have taken him.

I want someone to step up on the court and be the calming influence on this team. The guy who fights the urge to push the ball up court because what we really need is to regain focus, composure and to run a halfcourt set. Pierria Henry, can you be that for us?

What was it, 7-8? 8-9? 9-10 possessions in a stretch where we turned the ball over?

Major needs to coach the team to accept that applying the breaks is sometimes necessary and the players need to heed that coaching. Let’s get it fixed! This team is so close to being very good.

Braswell never played this well under Lutz. If we’re going to extend your “logic” of “Lutz” guy vs. “Major” guy it’s clear Major coaches Braz better than Lutz ever did.

Well from where I was sitting it seemed to me the whistle was blown while the ball was in the air, but we’ll never know for sure. I’ve been in my rule book ever since the game was over trying to sort this one out, and the only way it even makes remote sense is if the ball was in the air. Our player basically form tackled the screen man while the ball was in the air, there is no denying that. You can’t disallow the shot, because it had already been released, not to mention the foul was on us. When a foul occurs you have to award possession to the team that gets fouled. This may be the one call they actually got right.[/quote]

I beg to differ. I heard the whistle as I posted before and then watched the shot be released clearly after hearing the whistle. It even appeared that most of the players reacted to the whistle before the shot was released.[/quote] I was able to see a replay on the TV moniter. The foul on the screener occurred so much before the shooter was in his motion that it wasn’t even close. Total B.S.[/quote]

Had a pretty good view of this play as it happened. The ref on the baseline blew his whistle to call the foul (which I thought was going to be a moving screen on STL), then raises his hand as the guy pulls up for 3. There was no way he was in the act of shooting when the foul was called. Since when did the continuation rules of the NBA transfer into Halton Arena.

[quote=“NLP, post:47, topic:26201”]I want someone to step up on the court and be the calming influence on this team. The guy who fights the urge to push the ball up court because what we really need is to regain focus, composure and to run a halfcourt set. Pierria Henry, can you be that for us?

What was it, 7-8? 8-9? 9-10 possessions in a stretch where we turned the ball over?

Major needs to coach the team to accept that applying the breaks is sometimes necessary and the players need to heed that coaching. Let’s get it fixed! This team is so close to being very good.[/quote]

This is where losing Luka hurts us the most. He was that calming influence. Henry is a fiery player, and we all know it and love it. But he gets too emotional and wants to control the game.

I’m disappointed because we had control and we lost it. I’m disappointed because the refs totally destroyed the flow of the game and I’m most disappointed that this team fought so hard to get back and couldn’t seal the deal.

I hope that our wonderful league office gets to see a tape of that play.[/quote] You know, I would not be surprised if the other 2 refs told that guy he had screwed up and he was too embarrassed to reverse his call. He was also too big for me to beat up after the game, dammit.[/quote]

From my seat in 112 it certainly looked like the shot came after the whistle. Major was on the floor yelling but there wasn’t much he could do. There were several other calls that led to a change of possessing that hurt as well but this was especially bad since we lost by 1.

I beg to differ. I heard the whistle as I posted before and then watched the shot be released clearly after hearing the whistle. It even appeared that most of the players reacted to the whistle before the shot was released.[/quote] I was able to see a replay on the TV moniter. The foul on the screener occurred so much before the shooter was in his motion that it wasn’t even close. Total B.S.[/quote]

Had a pretty good view of this play as it happened. The ref on the baseline blew his whistle to call the foul (which I thought was going to be a moving screen on STL), then raises his hand as the guy pulls up for 3. There was no way he was in the act of shooting when the foul was called. Since when did the continuation rules of the NBA transfer into Halton Arena.[/quote]

That’s the play Major should have been out on the court in the ref’s face asking for an explanation. Terrible call.

Braswell never played this well under Lutz. If we’re going to extend your “logic” of “Lutz” guy vs. “Major” guy it’s clear Major coaches Braz better than Lutz ever did.[/quote]
So the fact that he was only a freshman when Lutz was here and has had 2 years to get stronger and get better in practice under Major is irrelevant I guess?

Agree these refs were disgustingly horrible. I have seen 5th grade B-Ball games called better. Sine when is GETTING an elbow to the face a foul? What would you have him do? Should he fall to the floor to avoid contact?

I noticed that the refs did not want to call a lot of fouls in the first half. St. Thugin got up to 9 team fouls and it was like the refs went “D@MN! thats a lot…we should probably let them play because we are just calling fouls left and right over here.” St. louis then got 3-4 mins of thugtastic defense without a single whistle and we watched the lead go from 13-14 to 8. Teams like St. Louis should not be allowed to play Div-I ball.

[font=arial]“The NCAA Men’s and Women’s Basketball Rules Committees voted to change the penalty for elbow contact above the shoulders for the 2010-11 season.[/font]
[font=arial]
If approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel in June, the change would require men’s and women’s officials to assess either an intentional or flagrant foul on a player who swings an elbow and makes contact with an opponent above the shoulders. If the foul is deemed to be intentional, the team whose player was struck would receive two free throws and possession of the ball. If the foul is deemed to be flagrant, the player who threw the elbow would be ejected.”[/font]
[font=arial]
Straight from the NCAA website. The refs had no choice but call a intentional or flagrant and failed to call either.[/font][/quote]

That was from last year…and this year they changed it as well, getting completely rid of intentional fouls. So it’s either flagrant or regular…meaning, by last year’s rule and the new one combined, an elbow to the face is an automatic flagrant foul. I had to work during the game but I did hear that part on the radio. As far as the 3 point + 1 play goes, as someone previously stated, if the foul happens AFTER the shot away from the ball, the shot counts and the non-offending team is awarded possession. So it just comes down to when the shot was released in relation to when the foul was called (meaning if the foul happened before the shot was released obviously it’s just a foul on the floor, ball awarded to non-offending team out of bounds). Not something you normally see officials on the incorrect side of because it’s just SO hard to mess up those two calls.

Braswell never played this well under Lutz. If we’re going to extend your “logic” of “Lutz” guy vs. “Major” guy it’s clear Major coaches Braz better than Lutz ever did.[/quote]
So the fact that he was only a freshman when Lutz was here and has had 2 years to get stronger and get better in practice under Major is irrelevant I guess?[/quote]

To someone making the “Lutz guy”/“Major guy” argument it definitely is.

I’m still disgusted with how we value the ball… The officiating sucked but we have to protect the ball… When you shoot 50+% you need to win. This one hurts.

Yeah sucks because we have lost games this year because we couldn’t score at all. We finally have a decent offensive game and we don’t do all the other things.

major should have been screaming this at the top of his lungs[/quote]I heard major yelling to go faster in the timeouts.[/quote]

Who’s right?

(I didn’t see the game.)

3 pages of posts and no gold duster pics?