Saint Louis Post Game

major should have been screaming this at the top of his lungs[/quote]I heard major yelling to go faster in the timeouts.[/quote]

Whoā€™s right?

(I didnā€™t see the game.)[/quote]I was being sarcastic. Iā€™m sure Major told the guys to slow down, but after a huddle, no coach can control everything on the court.

[quote=ā€œs9er, post:57, topic:26201ā€]Iā€™m still disgusted with how we value the ballā€¦ The officiating sucked but we have to protect the ballā€¦ When you shoot 50+% you need to win. This one hurts.[/quote]S is right. Officiating was not good, but we lost this one with careless, unforced turnovers.

Yeah the refs sucked - same story different day. 12 of their first 15 points were uncontested lay-ups. At one point in the second half we turned the ball over six possessions in a row without having a shot attempt. Once again, Major refused to come out of the zone. When he finally did, we cut the lead. When this team shoots the ball well and doesnā€™t win, itā€™s a crying shame. We gave one away.

I think it hurt us not having Luka in this game. He is a little slower player than Henry, so he did not mess up 2,3,4 times in a row as he would slow down even more.

This team doesnā€™t have shooters. It does have people who can handle the ball and drive the basket. I donā€™t see any reason we shouldnā€™t push the ball after a defensive rebound. You can always pull the ball back out and set up a play. Make the other team expend some energy. We just need to play better.

2002, gill is our photographer for gtg. Ask him for GD pics.

Man, what is up with you guys. We win Major is the savior of our program. We lose and we have people wishing Lutz was back. How about this? We are a rebuilding team with not enough pieces to overcome some officiating. We are too young and inexperienced to maintain a steady pace throughout a game. I donā€™t think anyone can point to a single upperclassman and say that he is the leader of the team. This is about what I expected for this year and maybe even a little better. And I do think St. Louis plays a nasty, harassing, dirty defense. Any good defense does, and I hope by next year we are known to be similar. I want Braz to be the dirty A10 player.

Alan Major is our coach and Iā€™m fine with that. Iā€™d like to see him continue to improve the team.

Whatā€™s wrong with that?

[quote=ā€œBigTimeNiner, post:5, topic:26201ā€]Note to Henry: On the fast break, when two defnsive guys are in front of you, that
leaves three guys behind you to knock the ball away.[/quote]

He just had a bad dumbass stretch of a few min. Thatā€™s how he gets over half his steals.

I think JB read my post from last game. He def stepped upā€¦ but I wouldnā€™t mind him being even more selfish if heā€™s feeling it.

In most games I would be right there with you S, but itā€™s hard to protect the ball when the officials are allowing the opposing players to go through you to get it. We finally realized we could get away with it also once we got down 13, and played the same way to get back in the game. The officials even allowing teams to play like that is despicable. The only way you can protect the ball in games like that is to sharpen your elbows, and thatā€™s the one thing the officials are watching like a hawk.

Well from where I was sitting it seemed to me the whistle was blown while the ball was in the air, but weā€™ll never know for sure. Iā€™ve been in my rule book ever since the game was over trying to sort this one out, and the only way it even makes remote sense is if the ball was in the air. Our player basically form tackled the screen man while the ball was in the air, there is no denying that. You canā€™t disallow the shot, because it had already been released, not to mention the foul was on us. When a foul occurs you have to award possession to the team that gets fouled. This may be the one call they actually got right.[/quote]

I beg to differ. I heard the whistle as I posted before and then watched the shot be released clearly after hearing the whistle. It even appeared that most of the players reacted to the whistle before the shot was released.[/quote] I was able to see a replay on the TV moniter. The foul on the screener occurred so much before the shooter was in his motion that it wasnā€™t even close. Total B.S.[/quote]

Had a pretty good view of this play as it happened. The ref on the baseline blew his whistle to call the foul (which I thought was going to be a moving screen on STL), then raises his hand as the guy pulls up for 3. There was no way he was in the act of shooting when the foul was called. Since when did the continuation rules of the NBA transfer into Halton Arena.[/quote]

Thank you

Braswell never played this well under Lutz. If weā€™re going to extend your ā€œlogicā€ of ā€œLutzā€ guy vs. ā€œMajorā€ guy itā€™s clear Major coaches Braz better than Lutz ever did.[/quote]
So the fact that he was only a freshman when Lutz was here and has had 2 years to get stronger and get better in practice under Major is irrelevant I guess?[/quote]

Major should get all of the credit.

Braswell never played this well under Lutz. If weā€™re going to extend your ā€œlogicā€ of ā€œLutzā€ guy vs. ā€œMajorā€ guy itā€™s clear Major coaches Braz better than Lutz ever did.[/quote]
So the fact that he was only a freshman when Lutz was here and has had 2 years to get stronger and get better in practice under Major is irrelevant I guess?[/quote]

Major should get all of the credit.[/quote]

Can always count on you to miss the big picture eason.

The logic here is flawed. Youā€™re saying Lutz gets a pass on how well Braswell performed because Bras was only a freshman. However, youā€™re saying that Major is a bad coach because his recruits, who are for the most part freshmen, arenā€™t as good as Bras is currently.

The logic here is flawed. Youā€™re saying Lutz gets a pass on how well Braswell performed because Bras was only a freshman. However, youā€™re saying that Major is a bad coach because his recruits, who are for the most part freshmen, arenā€™t as good as Bras is currently.[/quote]

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

[quote=ā€œNLP, post:68, topic:26201ā€]Alan Major is our coach and Iā€™m fine with that. Iā€™d like to see him continue to improve the team.

Whatā€™s wrong with that?[/quote]

I wasnā€™t really calling anyone out in particular. Iā€™m just reading the posts and getting a feel of the group in general. All of us, and I include myself seem to get so high on the team when we win a couple of games. Then we lose a couple and people start calling for Majorā€™s head saying heā€™s not an offensive strategist like Lutz. I recall a game this year where we scored 50+ points in the half. Major was coaching that game. I recall about 4 or 5 years ago when I watched a game against Miss. State (I think) where Lutz coached and we may have scored 40 points. You can be a college basketball mastermind, but you still have to play the game. When you have 22 turnovers I donā€™t care who is the coach, it is going to be difficult to win.

Our team needs to start executing and being more efficient with the ball on a continuous basis. This will come in time as we are a relatively young team, and we have a minimal front court. Thorne was not ready and Incavich(not worth learning to spell) is a throw away scholly in hopes for better recruits from the school. However, if Thorne was ready then we may not have landed him with our recent play the last few years. So we as fans are regulated to sit through some of these types of games. Back to the point. Are we better off where we are today or where we where under Lutz? Iā€™ll take where we are today.

We are a much better team this year.  I actually go to the games with anticipation whereas last year it was with dread where we didn't have much of a chance.  This is the first team in years that has the ability to beat a lot of teams.  The games we lose can be attributed mostly to a let down in just a single phase of the game, poor shooting, turnovers, foul shooting, etc.  In other words we do a lot of good things that I think will only get better with coaching, experience, and additional players.  The future is bright.
 There's something that bothers me.  Green has moves with dribbling the ball that I wish all our players had.  He can cross dribble and get around the quickest defender on the court.  Granted he's not very smart after driving the paint or baseline but he can make the moves to get there.  How much does he weigh?  The opposition book on him is bump him good and he'll never finish.  If he was just a little smarter he would be such an asset to this team.  I think last year being a go to guy has hurt his overall effectiveness and he hasn't made the transition to incorporate his strengths for the betterment for our team as a whole.  The potential is there,  I just think it's a little to late for things to change for him.  Here's hoping I'm wrong.

You have to adjust to the officiating. If they arenā€™t calling many fouls, you have to not only be more agressive but also be ready to take care of the basketball. And you sure as hell canā€™t wait until the last 4 minutes of the game to realize it. We knew before the game St Louis plays that way.

Probably nothing here that hasnā€™t been said but what the hellā€¦

Officiating at Halton has pretty much stifled what little excitement I had going into this season. I have seen a lot of games in my life but I really struggle to remember every getting shafted this bad when we were in any of our previous conferences. Itā€™s hard to stomach. The 5-point possession was complete BS. As was the out of bounds call at midcourt where the ball was clearly off the foot of Saint Louis. Those were only a couple of the many horrendous calls Saturday. Honestly, I donā€™t see it changingā€¦

On a related note, Major has to get in their ears more than he is. Majerus was lighting them up the entire game, constantly outside the coachā€™s box. Major spent most of the 2nd half on one knee and if there was ever a game to warrant a technical, this is one I would have loved to have seen it happen in. Iā€™m a huge supporter of and believer in Major but he just came across very passive to me this weekend.

Turnovers definitely killed us. We have GOT to protect the ball. Too many teams are coming up behind us in transition and slapping the ball from the underside and jarring it loose. A couple of our guys seem to have no awareness of this and get stripped of the ball. Chalk some of it up to growing pains but these guys have been playing organized ball long enough to have more respect for possession.

We had them down double digits early in the game and should have never let them crawl back in it. Also, we missed 3 critical free throws down the stretch that would have likely changed the outcome of the game, along with several other isolated events. Itā€™s just frustrating as hell to lose games like that but as someone else said, I at least had some element of excitement and anticipation for this game. In recent years, I would have probably opted for catching up on projects around the house but I was genuinely excited to drive across town to see this game. We do some dumb things but these guys definitely never quit and that alone is worth watching.

Given the last two and the two weā€™ll have to close out the month, Kennesaw and GW are absolute must-wins. at this point or just making the NIT may start to sound doubtful.

When someone is coming up to swipe the ball from behind our ballhandler (henry most of the time) we need someone else on the team to call it out. Have him pick up the ball to protect it. Communication saves a lot of turnovers.