Samford gets 12th SoCON spot...but

Well, we missed our chance. :wow: :wow: :rolleyes: Samford just became the 12th member of the Southern Conference. They are the 9th football playing school.

Wait a second. That’s an uneven number in football. Could open the door for football membership, perhaps.

Here we go… :happy:

You’re kidding, right? The SoCon? Better yet, let’s join the CIAA…they have football, don’t they?

You're kidding, right? The SoCon? Better yet, let's join the CIAA....they have football, don't they?

He’s kidding. My sarcasm meter almost exploded.

Well, there goes our chance to join the SoCon! I guess the Observer will have to start calling for our membership in the Big South conference. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=run49er;224971]Well, there goes our chance to join the SoCon! I guess the Observer will have to start calling for our membership in the Big South conference. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

You beat me to it Run. They’ll promote the concept of us going anywhere that is a step backward.

Thats it…I am fed up with the schools leadership. Their poor planning has resulted in a missed opprotunity to leave the A-10. Had we have moved on football a decade ago, we would not be in this situation right now.

Here’s hoping that the rumors of a future SoCon split are true. Half the league will leave to form a primarily baptist institutional sports league, while the rest will remain intact, and hopefully accept us at the next conference shake up!!!

Thats it......I am fed up with the schools leadership. Their poor planning has resulted in a missed opprotunity to leave the A-10. Had we have moved on football a decade ago, we would not be in this situation right now.

Here’s hoping that the rumors of a future SoCon split are true. Half the league will leave to form a primarily baptist institutional sports league, while the rest will remain intact, and hopefully accept us at the next conference shake up!!!

You’re kidding right? You actually WANT to be in the SoCon? Holy crap…:fastgun:

[QUOTE=Noreaster;224986]You’re kidding right? You actually WANT to be in the SoCon? Holy crap…:fastgun:[/QUOTE]

LOL…no…should have put a sarcasm tag on there…just recreating everyones posts after the big east situation…and applying it to the new flavor of the month…the SoCon (blah)!

i would actually like to be in the Socon,[B] for football only.[/B] Travel to away games, somewhat rivalries, and the main reason…

OTHER SCHOOLS ARE CLOSE ENOUGH TO TRAVEL TO OUR GAMES!!!

this increase attendance for A) moving up to D1 and B) Revenue.

[QUOTE=casstommy;224985]Thats it…I am fed up with the schools leadership. Their poor planning has resulted in a missed opprotunity to leave the A-10. Had we have moved on football a decade ago, we would not be in this situation right now.

Here’s hoping that the rumors of a future SoCon split are true. Half the league will leave to form a primarily baptist institutional sports league, while the rest will remain intact, and hopefully accept us at the next conference shake up!!![/QUOTE]

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hilarious.

I think joining the SoCon would be a great idea. It is almost up to the level of Tony the Tiger Grrrrrrrreat!!! Shit, think about it, adding powerhouse names such as Samford to our schedule would definately influence some one star recruits to come wear that lovely color of green that we all love to sport. The fact that a discussion whether we should join the SoCon or not was even brought up depresses me.

Damn, that’s 22 conference basketball games. They had just decided to do a full round-robin schedule.

12 schools, 5 states and no natural rival for Samford
North Carolina - Appalachian State, Davidson, Elon, UNC Greensboro, Western Carolina
South Carolina - College of Charleston, The Citadel, Furman, Wofford
Georgia - Georgia Southern
Tennessee - Chattanooga
Alabama - Samford

[QUOTE=Submarley734;224998]I think joining the SoCon would be a great idea. It is almost up to the level of Tony the Tiger Grrrrrrrreat!!! Shit, think about it, adding powerhouse names such as Samford to our schedule would definately influence some one star recruits to come wear that lovely color of green that we all love to sport. The fact that a discussion whether we should join the SoCon or not was even brought up depresses me.[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of playing in the SoCON for FOOTBALL and perhaps even all sports, EXCEPT BASKETBALL. Think about how much we could save on travel. The savings could fund the football program and “fast-track” our ascent to the D1-A, while maintaining pretty good basketball.

Does anyone know if Davidson has any plans to play football in the SoCon? You would think the switch would be just a matter of time, but I haven’t heard or seen any news indicating that they want to play football in that league.

you guys are gonna be sorry you used all that sarcasm when samford is the next national powerhouse in football…

12 schools, 5 states and no natural rival for Samford
I believe Samford is in Birmingham which is a little over 2hrs to Chattanooga.

The SoCon certainly should be easier travel wise than being in the Ohio Valley Conference as they are now.

Can they continue this?
–11 team titles in nearly four seasons in Ohio Valley Conference
–Nine Coaches of the Year in OVC
–Eight student-athletes named Player or Athlete of the Year in OVC
–2004 Women’s All-Sports Championship
–Four-straight women’s soccer championships, including making the second round of the NCAA Tournament in 2005
–In 2006, pitcher Josh Ehmke became the first Samford baseball player to be named Honorable Mention All-American by Collegiate Baseball. Shortstop Michael Marseco was named Freshman All-American by the same publication
–In the last four seasons, had four football players named to All-America teams
–In 2005-06, J. Robert Merritt became the first men’s basketball player to be named Honorable Mention All-American
–In two of the last three seasons, had football players move on to become part of NFL franchises (Cortland Finnegan, Tennessee Titans; and Efrem Hill, Carolina Panthers).
–Senior Lauren Blankenship named All-American in both cross country and track.

There’s our answer right there. Since Samford is leaving the Ohio Valley Conference, we can take their place in the OVC. Oh yea. All our problems are now solved.