Seat Belt Ticket

yo i just got a damn seat belt ticket… has anyone got one of these??? i heard it doesnt add any insurance points but what about my insurance rates??? do they rise??? is it considered a moving violation???

yo i just got a damn seat belt ticket... has anyone got one of these??? i heard it doesnt add any insurance points but what about my insurance rates??? do they rise??? is it considered a moving violation???
Call your insurance and ask if you pay the ticket, will anything happen with your insurance. If it will increase, then pay $200-$300 and get a lawyer to take it off. If it won't, just pay the fine.

I had to do this when I got a ticket for “not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign”. BS!!! I laughed at the rookie. I bet I could give 1000+ tickets a day for not coming to a “complete” stop at a stop sign. I paid I think $225 this past December for a lawyer.

I’ve always wanted to appear in court and go off on a tangent, BUT with court dates being pushed back over and over, it becomes a hassle if you gotta take off work. But if you have nothing to do, I SAY GO TO COURT AND FIGHT IT!!!

When I worked at Charlotte a campus rent a cop gave me a seat belt ticket as I was pulling into my parking place in the Cone deck. I went to court on my court date and when the Assis. DA called me to the front she asked if I wore my seat belt to court today and I said I sure did and she told me the charges were dropped and I paid nothing.

It might be worth it to take a half day to go to downtown Charlotte to save yourself a couple hundred bucks.

Don’t mean to get picky…but

Maybe you should have been wearing it.

Its just a fine in most states- no points.

I've always wanted to appear in court and go off on a tangent, BUT with court dates being pushed back over and over, it becomes a hassle if you gotta take off work. But if you have nothing to do, I SAY GO TO COURT AND FIGHT IT!!!

Fight what?? He didn’t wear his seat belt, and he got a ticket. Welcome to the 21st century. Wear your damn belt.

Yes, the government must think for us and protect us because we’re incapable of doing it ourselves.

Seat belt tickets… if that’s not a bull**** way for the state to make money, then I don’t know what is…

[QUOTE=thelew1014;310370]Yes, the government must think for us and protect us because we’re incapable of doing it ourselves.

Seat belt tickets… if that’s not a bull**** way for the state to make money, then I don’t know what is…[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

[QUOTE=thelew1014;310370]Yes, the government must think for us and protect us because we’re incapable of doing it ourselves.

Seat belt tickets… if that’s not a bull**** way for the state to make money, then I don’t know what is…[/QUOTE]

and right along the seat belt lines is the motorcycle helmet laws.

The state shouldn’t have to tell you to do either. If you aren’t going to protect yourself then the government shouldn’t profit off of it.

Yes, the government must think for us and protect us because we're incapable of doing it ourselves.

Seat belt tickets… if that’s not a bull**** way for the state to make money, then I don’t know what is…

Couldn't have said it better myself!

I agree with you in the sense that if you’re stupid enough to choose to not wear a seat belt, despite being fully aware of the potential repercussion, and you get in a 3,000 pound metal machine rolling down the highway at 65 mph completely unrestrained, you deserve to die.

Seat belts have saved thousands of lives every year. That’s thousands of dads, moms, teens, infants, babies. If you’re seriously criticizing the government for taking such a measure, I really don’t understand your reasoning. If you’re criticizing the government for profiting off of it, I do understand, but don’t forget that somebody has to pay for the police car and police officer that pulled you over, and the court system that will process your infraction. I’d rather YOU, the person who got the ticket, have to foot this bill rather than the taxpayer.

I agree with you in the sense that if you're stupid enough to choose to not wear a seat belt, despite being fully aware of the potential repercussion, and you get in a 3,000 pound metal machine rolling down the highway at 65 mph completely unrestrained, you deserve to die.

Seat belts have saved thousands of lives every year. That’s thousands of dads, moms, teens, infants, babies. If you’re seriously criticizing the government for taking such a measure, I really don’t understand your reasoning. If you’re criticizing the government for profiting off of it, I do understand, but don’t forget that somebody has to pay for the police car and police officer that pulled you over, and the court system that will process your infraction. I’d rather YOU, the person who got the ticket, have to foot this bill rather than the taxpayer.

I just don’t believe it’s the government’s job to protect us from ourselves. Not wearing a seatbelt is a really stupid thing, I’ll agree (Sorry NY9er, but it is…). But at the same time, I don’t agree with a government passing a law that states that we must do this because it’s going to hurt us if we don’t.

[QUOTE=gotLutz;310385]…but don’t forget that somebody has to pay for the police car and police officer that pulled you over, and the court system that will process your infraction. I’d rather YOU, the person who got the ticket, have to foot this bill rather than the taxpayer.
[/QUOTE]

Doing an investigation and cleaning up for an accident where there was not a fatality takes much less time and manpower than one that does involve a fatality. This means much less money spent. Since the cleanup and investigation following any accident involves almost all government agencies, then it’s in their best interest to try to insure there are no fatalities (i.e. wear your seat belt or helmet).

I can tell you for sure that no matter what kind of ticket you get, just the Char-Meck Court fees are $110…

That’s the bull****… :ticked:

We’re not disagreeing that seat belts save lives. They do!

I am arguing that we don’t need the governement to tell us to wear it and then charge us a fine when we don’t. Police can concentrate on “real” crimes, like when my car got broken into two weeks ago and my wallet was stolen. That’s a crime worth fighting. Not wearing a seatbelt is stupid, but it doesn’t harm anyone, except the person not wearing it if they should get into a wreck.

We don’t need the government to tell us how to live our lives.

Also, if Govco is goin to be responsible for health care they have to have laws like this to reduce their costs.

Some people on here remember a time before seatbelts. Ahem, Over40niner and HP, tell us what ya’ll think.

[QUOTE=N1NER;310407]
I am arguing that we don’t need the governement to tell us to wear it and then charge us a fine when we don’t. Police can concentrate on “real” crimes, like when my car got broken into two weeks ago and my wallet was stolen. That’s a crime worth fighting. Not wearing a seatbelt is stupid, but it doesn’t harm anyone, except the person not wearing it if they should get into a wreck.[/QUOTE]

Some parents who do not wear seatbelts do not make their kids wear seatbelts either. I disagree that the Government should have no sayso in making sure that those kids are protected.

In principal, I agree that if you want to play Russian roulette behind the wheel - go ahead. As I mentioned above, the cost of a fatal accident is much more than a non-fatal one for the government. Therefore, they are going to try to prevent them. Morally, I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing either.

[QUOTE=N1NER;310407]We don’t need the government to tell us how to live our lives. [/QUOTE]

Most rational people do not, but the idiot % does. They can’t think correctly for themselves and others that they are supposed to be looking out for.

Some people on here remember a time before seatbelts. Ahem, Over40niner and HP, tell us what ya'll think.

Yeah, tell us of the rein and saddle days.

Honestly, I think the goverment has seatbelt laws so people dont go around sueing each other, and so insurance doesnt go through the roof.

But what do I know, I just saved a ton of money by switching to Geico.

this bring to mind the psycological aspect I’ve read about. When things like bumpers became normal drivers began to drive less safely, because they would be protected unsafe driving.

Similiarly it was found that blending auto and pedestrian spaces such that it’s almost the same, with out things like designated crosswalks in town centers actually improved safety. The inherant danger of it all made all involved much more vigelant.

I don't agree with a government passing a law that states that [I]we[/I] must do this because it's going to hurt [I]us[/I] if we don't.

How do you feel about immunization laws?

Anyway, I work for an insurance company investigating injuries sustained in auto accidents. You would be surprised how many times I have seen an instance where 1 person, who was not restrained, was ejected from their vehicle and injured another party as a result. Generally this happens by the body crashing through another vehicle’s windshield/window, or by merely obstructing the roadway and causing another collision. So by not wearing a seatbelt there is no guarantee that you are hurting just yourself. At high rates of speed (and without a seat belt) you are a [COLOR=red]horrifyingly dangerous projectile[/COLOR]. Emphasis on the color red.