SEC expansion influence in NC

So everyone is aware of the Texas A&M debacle and their fights with the mighty Longhorns and their fancy network… Apparently they came to the SEC looking to be added [as in, the SEC did not go knocking on their door]. Now all the talk (at least here in Knoxville) is of if this happens, who else will the SEC take? Along with what will come of the NCAA if the ‘superconferences’ start to form.

Conventional wisdom has said they would target Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, then target Florida State or Clemson.

The following article reports differently. It’s written by an SEC writer (among other things) out of Nashville. Seems pretty respected (wrote the books Dixieland Delight and On Rocky Top, the later of which I’ve read and thoroughly enjoyed).

He has stated that the SEC will not go for programs in states that it already has a presence in (sorry FSU and Clemson) and that target states would be Virginia and North Carolina.

Virginia Tech is the no-brainer in this convo, and is believed by many to be the next one to come along if everything gets going. Then there is the big question of which NC school would go, if any. The major argument is that the “big 4” will stick together due to basketball tradition. Duke seems to be desired (in this article at least) because of their academic statue (Vanderbilt and Duke in the SEC would obviously be good for the SEC perception). The other one mentioned is NCSU.

I dont see Duke leaving UNCCH… way to much power, money, and tradition to be made between the two. Plus (as it currently is) the ACC is a superior academic conference to the SEC with the likes of major technical schools and highly ranked public universities. This seems to be important to the smaller private institution [Duke]. Meanwhile, NCSU struggles (in my opinion) to find a place in the basketball landscape. They also try hard to be a football school, with some success in the past. I could see them having less to lose and more to gain by jumping over. They would also get rid of any shadow that they live in due to UNCCH and Duke and their basketball-power.

An interesting situation overall. I’m concerned about where this would leave us. If these “super-conferences” form, I don’t think we have much place to go football wise. They say that the ‘super-conferences’ could ultimately toss the NCAA and create their own money making machine. And for the record, I don’t think ECU with a very established football program has much of a place to go either. Charlotte adding football 10 years ago would have obviously given us a better shot if this takes place, but I still think it would have taken a major stroke of luck. We would have had no choice but to become as successful [as quickly] as USF.

Perhaps the BE basketball conference split up really would be best? Thoughts…?

Article: http://outkickthecoverage.com/sec-expansion-league-unlikely-to-add-members-in-current-states.php

This was originally discussed a lot with the PAC10 and BigTen expansions. There were rumors then of the 4 big conferences remaining (PAC10, BigTen, SEC and ACC) forming a new “league” with 64 teams.

In some ways that makes a lot of sense for them. If that does happen you can even throw Texas into the SEC discussion. Even more importantly, if that happens, both us and ECU will be left out. Now that Utah has joined the Pac10 we’ll no longer have Sen Hatch fighting for the “little” guys.

Best thing for us is to hope that CUSA, Big East and Big12 are extremely competitive in both basketball and football, so that a 4 super conference idea doesn’t work.

By the way, Big12 and BigTen is very confusing now with their names.

Always the quick study, Normmm.

While State is under some shadow of Chapel Hill, they salivate (more than normally) at every chance they get to take out “The Flagship” much like we do when we played them in baseball. I don’t see the SEC getting any of the NC ACC schools.

The Big XII and Big East are on the cutting block, the SEC would be more inclined to snatch TCU away from the Big East (as a TAMU rival) than any other team being talked about.

I def think the government will step in if they try the superconferences in their own NCAA like league. If they do that they could ice out a lot of schools in a lot of sports. I see them trying - I just don’t see it working.

If I’m the sec, I go get va tech and fsu. You effectively neuter the acc in football while forcing the acc to go find two more schools to get to a championship.
The acc would be forced to chase bad ever more poor geographic partners that bring little to the table in a rivalry sense (live on raycom, from the carrierdome, jackets v Orange, Yuch).

[quote=“itsbraille49, post:4, topic:25611”]While State is under some shadow of Chapel Hill, they salivate (more than normally) at every chance they get to take out “The Flagship” much like we do when we played them in baseball. I don’t see the SEC getting any of the NC ACC schools.

The Big XII and Big East are on the cutting block, the SEC would be more inclined to snatch TCU away from the Big East (as a TAMU rival) than any other team being talked about.[/quote]

I thought about TCU earlier today… the only “texas” rivalry that has been talked about out here (at least that I’ve heard) is Texas Tech. As indicated in that article though, it seems the SEC is a little less interested in that.

Interesting quote by SEC commissioner Slive at media days when asked about conference expansion [paraphrased] “I could have 4 more teams joining in 15 minutes”

Here comes the Orange colored brakes.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1251051

[quote=“49RFootballNow, post:8, topic:25611”]Here comes the Orange colored brakes.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1251051[/quote]

Sounds like A&M is moving faster to make this work than their lawmakers can to stop it.

A&M will pay for it if they do.You had best believe that there will be political and even financial consequences for the Aggies if they do this without the legislatures’ blessing.

If Houston replaces A&M in the Big 12ish then there’s a hole in CUSA…Here we go.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rapid-reports/post/15429486

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?88738-Texas-A-amp-M-to-SEC-Rumors-Heating-Up…-Again&p=1654451&viewfull=1#post1654451

Very well could be but sounds like they are willing to pay the price to get out of the shadow of the Longhorns.

In addition this is all I have been saying - that when the wheels start turning we could find ourselves in a BCS conference or we could find ourselves left out of everything. When these schools start moving and jumping for $ and survival logic gets thrown out and everything is in play.

DO NOT WANT.

We are already the best conference in the nation. Only 1 team from the SEC can play in the national title game at a time. Adding Texas A&M and Florida State or somebody won’t make it any easier to win the national championship. Yeah, it might neuter the ACC, but the ACC is so far behind, they are effectively Busch League football. I don’t know how it is in Knoxville, but here in Starkville everyone laughs at ACC football.

More importantly than that, even if it allows us to recruit better and make more money for our schools… how does it affect the overall college football environment? The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and no, we (Charlotte) will not get picked up by some BCS league because of this.

Had we started football 10 years ago . . . . . . . .

[quote=“punkrockcowboy, post:13, topic:25611”]DO NOT WANT.
The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and no, we (Charlotte) will not get picked up by some BCS league because of this.[/quote]

We are in the position where we pretty much have to have conference realignment for us to land in any FBS conference. Are we going to land in a BCS league? Doubtful, but as I said when conferences start looking for members and things get tight everything is in play. Just sucks this is happening now - I would feel much better if we were already playing football.

In the end I don’t care if this deal screws the ACC the SEC or anyone else - I just want what is best for the Niners. The rest is collateral damage.

We are 2 years away from our first season of … FCS. We haven’t even hit the field yet for practice. We don’t even have a field.

We will get there. We will be FBS one day, and the sooner the better, but Texas A&M wanting to join the SEC is not going to get us to FBS any sooner.

I believe that we will be good, but we have to prove that we will be good. We have to earn it. Things aren’t just going to fall in our lap. We have to earn it.

Who knows, but will be an interesting test case to see if USF, UAB, UCF get or keep in USFs case, BCS inclusion when all the chip fall.

[quote=“punkrockcowboy, post:16, topic:25611”]We are 2 years away from our first season of … FCS. We haven’t even hit the field yet for practice. We don’t even have a field.

We will get there. We will be FBS one day, and the sooner the better, but Texas A&M wanting to join the SEC is not going to get us to FBS any sooner.

I believe that we will be good, but we have to prove that we will be good. We have to earn it. Things aren’t just going to fall in our lap. We have to earn it.[/quote]

Joining another conference is not about us being “good” or having “earned it”. It is all about money, market share and territory.

Now clearly us being good helps us in owning our market, but when it comes to conference expansion it isn’t about checking off a little box that says “good”.

Who knows, but will be an interesting test case to see if USF, UAB, UCF get or keep in USFs case, BCS inclusion when all the chip fall.[/quote]

It will be interesting. If it does end up being 4 16 team mega conferences there are some rising programs and other historical programs that could get left out, which is why I think government would step in.

Who knows, but will be an interesting test case to see if USF, UAB, UCF get or keep in USFs case, BCS inclusion when all the chip fall.[/quote]
regardless, they’ll all be in a better football conference than us in 0-5 years.

[quote=“NinerWupAss, post:18, topic:25611”][quote=“punkrockcowboy, post:16, topic:25611”][font=times new roman]
We are 2 years away from our first season of … FCS. We haven’t even hit the field yet for practice. We don’t even have a field.

I believe that we will be good, but we have to prove that we will be good. We have to earn it. Things aren’t just going to fall in our lap. We have to earn it.
[/font][/quote][font=times new roman]

Joining another conference is not about us being “good” or having “earned it”. It is all about money, market share and territory.

Now clearly us being good helps us in owning our market, but when it comes to conference expansion it isn’t about checking off a little box that says “good”.
[/font][/quote][font=times new roman]
like how UTSA didn’t play a down before being FBS.[/font]