SEC expansion influence in NC

UTSA still has to play two years in FCS and have access to an FBS caliber stadium. Every program has it’s own mountains to climb.

I’m aware of that.

I would imagine it’s great to know where you’re headed after your 2 year “getting your feet wet period”.

[quote=“ninerID, post:20, topic:25611”][quote=“NinerWupAss, post:18, topic:25611”][font=times new roman]
Joining another conference is not about us being “good” or having “earned it”. It is all about money, market share and territory.

Now clearly us being good helps us in owning our market, but when it comes to conference expansion it isn’t about checking off a little box that says “good”.
[/font][/quote][font=times new roman]
like how UTSA didn’t play a down before being FBS.[/font][/quote]

Except, if it was totally about market then the SEC would go after Houston or Baylor rather than A&M.

[quote=“punkrockcowboy, post:13, topic:25611”]DO NOT WANT.

We are already the best conference in the nation. Only 1 team from the SEC can play in the national title game at a time. Adding Texas A&M and Florida State or somebody won’t make it any easier to win the national championship. Yeah, it might neuter the ACC, but the ACC is so far behind, they are effectively Busch League football. I don’t know how it is in Knoxville, but here in Starkville everyone laughs at ACC football.[/quote]

The current format is better as it currently stands. The question is if there is going to be 4 conferences of 16 teams. Then it’s better to pick first.

Seems like A&M isn’t happy with all of the benefits that Texas got to remain in the Big 12minus2. The latest controversy is that the Big 12 schools are upset that Texas is televising the high school football games of their recruits on the Longhorn Network. A definite recruiting advantage, though also a possible NCAA violation, but it’s ironic because the tv network was something that Texas brokered with the other members as the main reason not to leave for the PAC 10+2. Now the other members see that they gave away the farm to Texas, and A&M is looking to get the hell out and also hopefully somehow screw their arch rival in the process.

Common sense has no place in any of this. A&M is ready to give up games against their arch rival and other long time conference foes in order to participate in the SEC. They will alienate their fan base who wait all year for the game against Texas and toss away years of tradition by making this move. Twelve conference members is too many for football already. As a member of a 12-team conference, you don’t play each member every year, and now they want to add two to four more teams? I know it’s all about the almighty TV dollar, but none of it is very sensible from a fan’s perspective. Eventually, the fans need to step up and say “enough”.

The link FBN posted says the the A&M fans were pissed when they didn’t leave for the SEC last year. Seems like their fans just want out.

I’m sure that many fans want to leave the Big XII just to try to screw Texas, but I doubt they’ve stepped back long enough to evaluate what they are giving up. Arkansas is already treated like the stepchild of the SEC, and A&M will be no different. They might gain some revenue, but they won’t be gaining any value in my opinion.

I can see that but I can totally understand why they would do it.

How do they do that?

They dont have to be in the same conference as UT to play them. Clemson-South Carolina, Georgia-GT, ND-Michigan, Florida-FSU, Army-Navy are all examples of out of conference rivalry games.

They dont have to be in the same conference as UT to play them. Clemson-South Carolina, Georgia-GT, ND-Michigan, Florida-FSU, Army-Navy are all examples of out of conference rivalry games.[/quote]

I’m sure Texas is really going to reach out to them after A&M tries to screw them over by leaving the Big XII. “Since you f’d up our conference, let’s play a non-conference game next season or the season after that”. Yeah, makes sense.

How do they do that?[/quote]

Quit attending the games. Threaten to cut donations. That’s really the only recourse. No one wants to hurt their own school, but when you keep selling out tradition and rivalries in the name of the almighty dollar, the only way to combat it is to hit them in the wallet on the back end. There’s always the state legislature too as a course of action, but sometimes they aren’t worth a damn.

How do they do that?[/quote]

Quit attending the games. Threaten to cut donations. That’s really the only recourse. No one wants to hurt their own school, but when you keep selling out tradition and rivalries in the name of the almighty dollar, the only way to combat it is to hit them in the wallet on the back end. There’s always the state legislature too as a course of action, but sometimes they aren’t worth a damn.[/quote]

Yep. Some of these schools are already charging tremendous amounts of money for season tickets, or to be in the athletic club, etc. I really used to love college sports, but in the last few years or so these colleges look and act more and more like corporations than anything else.

I’m not really as interested as I used to be, and thats too bad. I want to support UNC Charlotte (and I have with bball season tickets, 49er club donations and fsl purchase), but some of this new college athletic landscape I dont want much part of.

Looks like the dominoes may begin to fall. Rumor mill has it that A&M is a done deal and that the SEC plans to expand to 16! :o :o :o

Could be a sad weekend for the Niners.

They dont have to be in the same conference as UT to play them. Clemson-South Carolina, Georgia-GT, ND-Michigan, Florida-FSU, Army-Navy are all examples of out of conference rivalry games.[/quote]

I’m sure Texas is really going to reach out to them after A&M tries to screw them over by leaving the Big XII. “Since you f’d up our conference, let’s play a non-conference game next season or the season after that”. Yeah, makes sense.[/quote]

Well, to be fair, A&M could say “No, you started killing the conference by having a TV network”. Not to mention Nebraska and Colorado leaving.

Clearly the SEC jump is making some impression on their fans…

Appears more than ever to be a done deal: http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/aug/13/houston-chronicle-texas-am-join-sec/

ESPN: SEC officials will vote (as soon as today) on who to extend offers to.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6859115/texas-aggies-intend-join-sec-school-official-says

I am wondering if the current Big 12 will cherry pick from CUSA. Does that mean CUSA would then look to add teams? Would Charlotte lobby to go back to CUSA to eventually have a football home?

I can’t imagine anyone except SMU and Houston being attractive to the Big XII.

Would be a good opportunity for CUSA to bring in some East Coast members. Maybe that would cause some of the western CUSA schools to find new homes.

CUSA adding Temple, ODU, Charlotte, and App St. would be great. I would be very happy to call that conference home.

I don’t see a reason why that if the CUSA needed teams, we wouldn’t be one of the first schools they called. What other schools would fit the profile with FBS intentions and a good market? Maybe ODU? App has the best shot out of the SoCon, but still not very good. I don’t think anyone in the Big Sout, Sun Belt or Atlantic Sun are in position.

If the CUSA needs to make calls, we’re on the list, and we’re going to say yes.