Serious Question/Advice about Ian

Granted…Ian has several issues BUT…

Why in the hell won’t any one teach him to put arc on the ball?

His accuracy seems to be decent as his shot is typically online…but his flat shot leaves very little angle to actually go through the rim.

EVERYBODY can see it…why won’t the coaches address it??

I was a HS Junior with the same issue. My Coach had me work on putting more “hump” in my shot (as he called it). I didn’t have to change any mechanics or anything…just the angle in which I released the ball.

In literally one week…I had re-trained my shot and completely lost the flat shot habit. And the results were amazing but it made sense. I was now shooting a softer shot coming down with a better angle to the rim.

IT’S NOT THAT HARD!!!

What else would we pay our coaches to do? Is this not part of DEVELOPING players??

I have never been a big fan of his shot to be honest but maybe thats all he’s comfortable with, I don’t know. This team has got tremendous problems and Ian isn’t even in the top 5.

I have never been a big fan of his shot to be honest but maybe thats all he's comfortable with, I don't know. This team has got tremendous problems and Ian isn't even in the top 5.

Yes.

But the fact that the coaches won’t invest the most minute amount of time in correcting something as obvious and as significant to his personal success as that…makes you wonder about other aspects of the game they do not attempt to develop.

Either they don’t see these things…or they don’t try to fix them (through teaching/coaching).

Think about it…whether it’s Ian’s flat shot, or drop steps, or post moves, or boxing out.

I think Ian’s shot is a perfect example of simple coaching that our coaches don’t do.

If our coaches spent time fixing all of the little fundamental issues…we would be a MUCH better product on the court.

Instead we just roll the ball out there and try to chuck up 3pts night in and night out.

EARN YOUR PAYCHECK AND COACH SOMETHING FOR CHRIST’S SAKE!!!

Amazing what people complain about when losing. Holy sh*t.

Amazing what people complain about when losing. Holy sh*t.

Uhhhh

coaching?

developing players?

I didn’t know that NOT doing those things were acceptable at this level.

Sorry I brought it up.

Why dont you go teach him how to put more arc on the ball.
Its Coach’s fault that Ian does not put more arc on the ball? OK…whatever you say.

Why dont you go teach him how to put more arc on the ball. Its Coach's fault that Ian does not put more arc on the ball? OK....whatever you say.

So a coach isn’t supposed to teach fundamentals or work improvement drills at this level??

So…all players that come to college are supposed to already know how to do everything perfectly??

Hmmm…

I know the NFL is different but I hear all the time about NFL QBs (arguably the toughest position in all of sports) having to be coached on changing their footwork and throwing mechanics…AT THE PRO LEVEL!!!

You’re a retard.

Coaches are supposed to teach fundamentals at every level…but particularly in college. And yes…putting arc on a jump shot is as much of a fundamental as teaching a post player a drop step or a post move (which we apparently don’t do either).

I bet you were an AWESOME High School player.

Why dont you go teach him how to put more arc on the ball. Its Coach's fault that Ian does not put more arc on the ball? OK....whatever you say.

TRLeader is exactly right and I think he makes a very valid point. This is what I’ve been saying forever now. That is exactly what a coach is supposed to do. A coach’s job is to win and increse his teams performance(making them BETTER)

I never thought in a million years that I would hear someone say that it isn’t a coaches job to teach his players. Wow!..Do you follow the game of basketball or…??

[QUOTE=Realtime;380946]I bet you were an AWESOME High School player.[/QUOTE]

I bet you get your face punched a lot.

His arc, along with his slow release, are key factors to why he has soooooooo many 3’s blocked as well. Ive never seen so many blocke 3’s

I am sure no coach has worked with Ian during his time here. You are a effing idiot if you think that.
You all compare things to your high school days? ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

[QUOTE=Cha_49;380959]His arc, along with his slow release, are key factors to why he has soooooooo many 3’s blocked as well. Ive never seen so many blocke 3’s[/QUOTE]

Those two things plus he can’t jump, is slow afoot and doesn’t know how to rub his man off picks…

Whoah dude. First off I agree with him because I have been saying for awhile now that the coaches need to work the guys individually or something. (Not Just Ian-but he does need it)
-Anjuan shoot like 500 mid-range jumpers a day
-Coley see above
-Coleman and Ian (if coleman wants to keep shooting…) work on their release because they are all over the place sometimes.
-And Phil just throw like a couple hundred passes at him a day to make sure he can catch the rock man.

[QUOTE=hootie;380964]and doesn’t know how to rub his man off[/QUOTE]

:scared:

See if your high school caoch can teach you to get the ball off in less than a second over a guy 6’6.
Ian’s shot is just too slow for the D-1 level, that is why his arc is so low because his release is always rushed.
Any other ideas you got from your high school coach?

I bet you were an AWESOME High School player.

Well…you said it…not me. (Nice, well thought out rebuttal by the way)

But I did become a BETTER player when my COACH actually took the time to TEACH me how to improve my jump shot.

Odd how that works.

Seriously…if Coach Lutz wants to forego teaching fundamentals and simply put together gameplans…he needs to coach in the NBA where the talent makes up for everything else.

You can teach a kid everything there is to know about shooting a basketball. However, if he cannot get a shot off there is nothing you can do.
Ian would be great on a team who had a BIGTIME post player, but he is not going to create shots for himself.

See if your high school caoch can teach you to get the ball off in less than a second over a guy 6'6. Ian's shot is just too slow for the D-1 level, that is why his arc is so low because his release is always rushed. Any other ideas you got from your high school coach?

I don’t remember Plavich having a problem shooting over taller guards at his size with maybe a slightly quicker release.

I wonder why??

Ohhhhhhhh…that’s right, I remember seeing video of him practcing by shooting over someone holding a broomstick extended in front of him so he could overcome that.

That was an intelligent practice drill developed to help a player improve his college game.

I guess Coach Lutz can be creative when he wants to…oh wait…that’s right…PLAV’S DAD TAUGHT HIM TO DO THAT!!!

So maybe you’re right…dad’s are supposed to do Coach’s job for him.

Slighty quicker release? You show your ignorance with that statement.
Plav’s release was 10 times quicker and Plav was MUCH stronger than Ian.