SGA in the News

Daily Tarheel (article link provided by happycamper)

News 14 Story

UNC Charlotte’s student government association is in hot water after formally endorsing the vote against the transit tax repeal campaign.

student body president Justin Ritchie said light rail is needed in the university area, and says that’s why the SGA endorses the campaign. that endorsement has come up against some adversity, as Mecklenburg county commissioner Bill James says the student-led organization, as well as the university it represents, is breaking the law.

“Why UNCC would do this through the SGA is unknown, but you should inform them that as an organization [that] is financed by NC state dollars, their actions are breaking the law,” said James in an email received by news 14 carolina. “further, UNCC … is breaking the law by allowing their government-run web site and e-mail system to be used for these purposes.”

discuss!

So basically they’re implying Happy and the rest of SGA is a puppet for the school’s administration? Um, that guy left last year. Regardless of the stance, student goverments should take positions on matters important to the students. If your 18-22, who do you look at as a peer group with a foot in politics? SGA perhaps?

I’ll save my opinion of Bill James, because it’s irrelevant.

So basically they're implying Happy and the rest of SGA is a puppet for the school's administration? Um, that guy left last year. Regardless of the stance, student goverments should take positions on matters important to the students. If your 18-22, who do you look at as a peer group with a foot in politics? SGA perhaps?

I’ll save my opinion of Bill James, because it’s irrelevant.

I can speak clearly that this was not a push from the Administration, and Happy most definitely is not a repeat of last year’s puppet president.

We took this stance on our own, as a group, with much discussion.

[URL=http://media.www.dailytarheel.com/media/paper885/sections/20071023StateNational.html][B][COLOR=darkgreen]DAILY TARHEEL[/COLOR][/B][/URL] (ARTICLE LINK PROVIDED BY HAPPYCAMPER)

[COLOR=darkgreen]NEWS 14 STORY[/COLOR]

fixed. (neither link worked for me)

UNC-Charlotte student government's use of university resources to influence a Mecklenburg County ballot initiative has sparked further-reaching debate about university involvement in municipal politics.

Second time this semester alone those outstanding Journalism students get our name wrong. Why our school doesn’t call up someone every time this happens is beyond me.

If we don’t want to be seen as a satellite school, then at the bare minimum make sure that damn hyphen is never seen again!!!

[QUOTE=survivor45;263604]fixed. (neither link worked for me)[/QUOTE]

Fixed. Sorry.

Well here is the google cache of the SGA website from last week. The website looks unchanged. This is what Bill James is so upset over:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:0S5eFYUbF5AJ:sga.uncc.edu/+sga+unc+charlotte&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

The article states:

Senate Endorses Vote Against Repeal Campain Executive News | Official Executive Press Release At the September 28th General Assembly meeting of the 42nd Legislative Assembly of the Student Government Association of UNC Charlotte, senators overwhelmingly supported the Vote Against Repeal campaign 25-1-2. (cont'd) The Vote Against Repeal campaign supports the half-cent transit tax in Mecklenburg County. The transit tax is a crucial portion of the bus system in the county and an eventual light-rail station on the campus of UNC Charlotte. The resolution is available below.

And on the left side: (w/banner image)

SGA Endorses Vote Against Repeal SGA supports the half-cent Mecklenburg County transit tax because of the benefits that better transit will have for students

And Bill James’ reaction:

"Why UNCC would do this through the SGA is unknown, but you should inform them that as an organization [that] is financed by NC state dollars, their actions are breaking the law,” said James in an email received by News 14 Carolina. “Further, UNCC … is breaking the law by allowing their government-run web site and e-mail system to be used for these purposes.”

Incidently, here is Bill James’ page on the charmeck.org website:

During James' 10-plus years as a member of the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners, he has been an active proponent of neighborhood schools, the right of parents to know what their children have been taught, and traditional marriage. He is on record opposing 'same-sex' benefits and has actively worked to stop Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools from busing children based on race. In 2004, he proposed a plan to fix what is wrong with Charlotte's inner-city schools including a proposal to develop a 24/7 reform school.

To learn more, you can visit Bill James’ website at http://www.billjames.org.

It’s pretty transparent what he’s getting at, but I think he’s barking up the wrong tree. The SGA seems to have posted the result of a vote. It’s not worse than James’ using tax dollars to show his position on issues past and present while using tax dollars to promote his personal website.

Second time this semester alone those outstanding Journalism students get our name wrong. Why our school doesn't call up someone every time this happens is beyond me.

If we don’t want to be seen as a satellite school, then at the bare minimum make sure that damn hyphen is never seen again!!!

RRRAAAAAHHHH!!!

The students are the ones paying the STUDENT Fees and I havent heard them complain yet. Why should we change anything that doesnt make our students mad? When they start saying something about not wanting it supported by SGA thats when the SGA should stop.

To shoot down the argument that everyone is not on SGA and didnt get to make the choice. The senators are elected officals. If people have a problem with who their vote got in office they should have either cast a vote for someone else. If they didnt vote their loss maybe next time they will.

Student fees are mandatory, sorry but its tuition either way you look at it. That said, if SGA endorses it, bill james (who is a slight nutcase, like most char-meck gov.) doesn’t say anything, then nobody hears about this and nobody cares.

Of all the crap the pro lightrail crowd is trying to pull (free-fake UNC Charlotte studies, telling old people they’ll lose bus service, telling the black caucus they’ll get a train faster, etc.) this is pretty minimal.

I really think there are more important things SGA can do, but maybe the 53 people who elected SGA in really care about light rail.

Tuition is not a state fee either.

This has no impact on anything though. Most UNCC students aren’t even mecklenburg residents, therefore, they cannot vote in Mecklenburg county. Even of those that are Meck. residents, a small amount of them would likely vote.

Further proof of why to vote for repeal.
The Admin. cheated.
The SGA cheated.
The Mayor is a prick.
The County Gov’t. cheated.
The City Gov’t. cheated.
The paper endorses transit.
Big Uptown interests endorse transit.
Former Mayor Gantt trying to blackmail black Charlotteans out of bus service.

Dude, you support cheating.

Why to vote for repeal:

Taxation
(noun) tacks-AY-shun: fancy word for theft

Student fees are mandatory, sorry but its tuition either way you look at it.

Actually, I think he was referring to SGA being funded by state tax dollars, which it is not. SGA is funded by student fees, which do not come from state dollars. State dollars are used for facilities, salaries and wages, among other things. Student fees come only from students. In that way, Mr. James is completely inaccurate and is spreading falsities. SGA did not break the law (the way I understand it) by endorsing a campaign.

Dude, you support cheating.

http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14003&highlight=at+least+i+admit+it

I support cheating in sports, not politics.
Politics affects people’s lives. Sports is just a game, so it doesn’t hurt anything.

The students are paying these fees against their will, therefore it is realy a TAX, therefore James is correct.

Actually, I think he was referring to SGA being funded by state tax dollars, which it is not. SGA is funded by student fees, which do not come from state dollars. State dollars are used for facilities, salaries and wages, among other things. Student fees come only from students. In that way, Mr. James is completely inaccurate and is spreading falsities. SGA did not break the law (the way I understand it) by endorsing a campaign.

So does SGA meet in a facility that is not state funded? Have a professor sponsor who is not on state payroll? Have a webpage on a website that is state funded? Are none of the members of SGA from instate where part of their tuition that allows them to be on SGA state funded?

Again, James is close to a nutjob, I just don’t think its SGA’s job to endorse repeal or endorse against repeal. Its more of a “hey look at us were important” kind of thing, much like the endorsement of a Stephen Colbert building. I mean why don’t they endorse something campus concerned like “football” “name change” “no unc on merchandise” “chicfila to stay open later”. however that said, nobody really cares about SGA’s endorsements, until they make news.

I’m an outsider, I’ll sponsor the James-HappyCamper debate.