Shamarr Bowden - 2008 NINERS COMMITMENT

6’3 160 lb sg, originally signed with VA Tech. Will be a freshman in 2008.

Along with VA Tech, also had offers from Vanderbilt and UNC Wilmington.

im confused. also, that name sounds familiar. did he used to play at grimsley high school in greensboro?

nm. just read the other thread.

Charlotte.com: Shooting guard commits to Charlotte

Rivals.com: Shamarr Bowden profile

Scout.com: Shamarr Bowden profile

More (consolidated from the other thread)…

DailyProgress.com: PREPS: The Top 5 Scoring Combos in CVa

DailyProgress.com: MILLERISMS: Recruiting

inRich.com: Bowden won’t join the Hokies

Roanoke.com: Back on the market [NOTE: scroll down about 10 paragraphs]

Scout.com: Bowden Makes Move To Help Game [NOTE: this is from August 11, 2006]

And this from from Phil Kasiecki of Hoopville…

[b]Shamarr Bowden (6'3" Jr. SG, Greensboro (NC) Miller School)[/b] Nice scoring guard was an important complement to the inside scoring of teammate Ed Davis this weekend. He shot the ball well from long range all weekend long and has above average quickness, and generally seemed to take good shots along the way.

Link: Hoopville.net

BTW, I posted this news over on the A-10 board, but the Dayton-Xavier and St. Joe’s-Temple “pissing” matches seem to be all that matter to some posters over there! :tongue:

Nice to see the immediate playing time hook still works.

Charlotte.com: Q&A with Shamarr Bowden

CHU.com: In-state guard Shamarr Bowden gives Charlotte first 2008 commitment

CSTV.com: Shamarr Bowden set for Charlotte

Found this in the Wilmington Star-News:

SG Shamarr Bowden 6-3, 190. The Miller School, Charlottesville, Va. Retracted commitment to Va. Tech earlier this month. Excellent shooter with NBA range. Recruitment is wide-open. 2-star recruit by scout.com

Link: Starnewsonline.com

Nice to see the immediate playing time hook still works.

I’m usually not one to toot my own horn but when it was asked in the other thread why he decommited from VT. I said the exact reason he gave Utter, too many guards at VT, and an opening in PT at our school… sorry… I had to do it.

Found the website to his school in Virginia:

Miller Devils

The Miller School was 21-6 last season. Bowden’s stats for 06-07:

16.1 PPG (tops on team)
41% FG (133 of 324)
39% 3FG (84 of 215)
77.1% FT (37of 48)
78 rebounds (14 offensive)
35 steals
0 blocks
63 assists
51 TOs (1.2 A/T)
36 fouls

BTW, his senior teammate from last season, 6-9/220 PF Da’Quan Cook, will play for St. Bonaventure.

I don’t think this has been mentioned yet, but it is worth noting. Bowden plays, and starts for, Boo Williams. For those that aren’t familiar with this team, it is one of the top ten best AAU teams in the nation year in and year out. Every year they have an absolutely loaded team, and churn out D1 talent like few others. Just something to think about.

Also, I know I have mentioned this before, but Michael Gerrity played for Mater Dei for four years. Mater Dei is one of the best high school in the country every year, and has produced a lot of bigtime talent. The fact that he played all four years is extremely impressive, as most of their players transfer in, dont play varisty, etc, til their soph or junior year.

Is that a school for prospective hosts in Fancy Restaurants?

:+)

Great story up at NinerReport.com.

[QUOTE]Bowden also changed AAU teams, opting for D-1 Sports, whose first tournament with their brand new shooting guard was at Charlotte.[/QUOTE]

[URL=http://charlotte.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=702741]http://charlotte.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=702741[/URL]

Bowden was in a few weeks ago and played with the team. Observations: He is a very talented player that can shoot pretty well. Only downsides I noticed was while he has a very developed, muscular body, he is thin AND shot too much. That could be a product of trying to “prove” he could play with the guys on the current team. Probably more skilled than most guys we get. Good handle, and is very active.

[URL=http://caainsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2707&Itemid=240][COLOR=#0000ff][B][U][I]Shamar Bowden[/I][/U][/B][/COLOR][/URL](2008, 6-3 SG)
Shamar is a long wing player. He can hit the three point jump shot. The long strider has a good handle and can get into the lane and score.

[QUOTE=OrangeOtto;258939][URL=http://caainsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2707&Itemid=240][COLOR=#0000ff][B][U][I]Shamar Bowden[/I][/U][/B][/COLOR][/URL](2008, 6-3 SG)
Shamar is a long wing player. He can hit the three point jump shot. The long strider has a good handle and can get into the lane and score.[/QUOTE]

Also included in your link is info on a current Charlotte target:

[QUOTE][B]Lateef McMullan[/B] (2008, 5-11 PG)
Lateef is a small, but aggressive guard. He loves to attack off the drible and can get into the lane with his quickness. He’s a slick ball handler with a good crossover move. His ball handling led to frequent trips to the free throw line. Lateef also likes to work a pull up jumper off of his crossover. He added in a nice steal and assist as well during the contest.[/QUOTE]

Has he signed his LOI?

Will he be a good filler for Lee?

[QUOTE=Tenniner;269233]Has he signed his LOI?[/QUOTE]
According to the Greensboro News & Record today, he has signed.

Don’t mean to hijack this thread but its SG related. Is Barnett going to play at all this year or is he probably going to red shirt?Thats going to make us thin at the SG spot unless Bowden can come in right away give us good minutes. I guess Ian will get the most minutes so I hope he works hard this offseason on his defense.