Should walk-ons get scholarships if available?

[font=times new roman]
I know this was discussed in some thread but didn’t know if it had its own. With the playing time Colby and the other guy have gotten this year over the past two games, it got me thinking.

What is the purpose of a team not using up their yearly scholarships? We didn’t give one to Colby last year although we had a free one right? Do we have any open scholarships this year?

I’ve heard the argument, it’s in bad taste or frowned upon to give a scholarship and take it away the following year…. But is there any ncaa/school rule?

Otherwise, if we sit down with a walk-on and clearly state, “We see all the hard work you put in. We have an open scholarship that we want you to have this year only, and next year we will see if there are any open scholarships to offer.” Do you really think the walk-on will be mad if the scholarship is taken away the next year? Heck no! If there are no ncaa rules on this, I think it is absolutely ridiculous to not use all yearly scholarships allotted.

It’s almost as if Colby is being asked to do more than his job requirements and not get the same compensation as his peers. If all the scholarships are used, then I understand. But if not, then I think it’s in bad taste by the Charlotte 49ers.

If there really is a logical explanation, please let me know because I don’t understand.[/font]

I’m sure the Athletic Department would like to save the money by not paying for the schollie for the year if they don’t have to, but with in-state kids, it’s not a lot of money, so I can see both sides of it. There’s no rule against taking it away - athletics scholarships are a year-to-year thing and aren’t guaranteed from one year to the next.

Honestly, if Colby keeps up the effort he’s shown on the court the last few games, this will be a moot point soon enough.

We gave Dijuan one, so I’d imagine this isn’t a problem at our school.

If the kid is playing and contributing much more than mop-up duty, then they will usually get one so we don’t lose them to someone else. It also will/would depend on who we were recruiting and if a much more skilled recruit might be available to give that scholarship to.

As a rule no- there is a reason that they didn’t get offered a schollie somewhere else. There are always exceptions, but for the most part you had better keep them for targets or late guys that slip through on occasion.

I see it as a slap in the face if we gave him one this year, then take it away next year. It’s a tough line to cross as a staff, hard to 2nd guess their actions on this one.

He is playing way better than some of our scholarship players. If he keeps that up, I can’t think of a reason they shouldn’t give him one. It seems our list of possible recruits is on a low right now anyways.

We do not know what all targets we’re after. We have 2 SG’s coming in next year in Terrence Williams and DeMario Mayfield. No offense to Colby, he seems like a great kid who can shoot when open, but these opportunities will not be there next year.

[quote=“cibik02, post:1, topic:24329”][font=times new roman]
I know this was discussed in some thread but didn’t know if it had its own. With the playing time Colby and the other guy have gotten this year over the past two games, it got me thinking.

What is the purpose of a team not using up their yearly scholarships? We didn’t give one to Colby last year although we had a free one right? Do we have any open scholarships this year?

I’ve heard the argument, it’s in bad taste or frowned upon to give a scholarship and take it away the following year…. But is there any ncaa/school rule?

Otherwise, if we sit down with a walk-on and clearly state, “We see all the hard work you put in. We have an open scholarship that we want you to have this year only, and next year we will see if there are any open scholarships to offer.” Do you really think the walk-on will be mad if the scholarship is taken away the next year? Heck no! If there are no ncaa rules on this, I think it is absolutely ridiculous to not use all yearly scholarships allotted.

It’s almost as if Colby is being asked to do more than his job requirements and not get the same compensation as his peers. If all the scholarships are used, then I understand. But if not, then I think it’s in bad taste by the Charlotte 49ers.

If there really is a logical explanation, please let me know because I don’t understand.[/font][/quote]

We did not have a scholarship available last season, not until Shamarr left at least.

In an article last week for ESPN Insider(Link), Mark Titus, former Ohio State walk-on talked about this in a way. They had available scholarships, and he was given a full-ride for his Sophomore and Junior season, but because of sanctions for academic reasons, the school lost 2 scholarships his senior year.

As far as Colby and Ray go, I assume Coach Major could do it if he wanted to if the AD doesn’t like spending the scholarship money on them, considering both don’t NEED the scholarship since they chose to walk-on here.

If they know they would be getting a 1 year scholarship up-front I don’t believe it would be a slap in the face.

yeah- like I said, he’s a walk-on for a reason.

I misread the original post. Once given, it’s in VERY bad taste to take the scholarship away, especially with full knowledge of his talents. I’ve seen recruits that did not pan out compared to their high school performance and were “encouraged” to transfer, but after a walk-on has been here and practiced with team for a season or two, there should be no reason to take away a scholarship when the coach knows exactly what he is capable of.

Now, if the coach plainly states up front to the walk-on that this is a 1-year deal then I don’t see it as a big deal to take it back. The walk-on should look at it as a favor from the coach. The scholarship would otherwise be vacant for that season. So long as both parties were honest about the deal, then I don’t think it would be a problem to give it to a new recruit the scholarship the next season.

It happens occasionally. Huggins would give the walk-ons at UC a scholarship sometimes. I just want it to be for the right reasons (rewarding commitment and play) and not because we’re recruiting his brother. Since the latter no longer applies, if he earns one, it was for the right reason.

As for the stipulations once given, X is dead on. Just be up-front and honest and make sure it’s not a 3 year deal but a year-by-year deal.

I have no issue if we gave one to Colby this year and said, depending on how recruiting goes, it may or may not be available to you next year. If he’s a team player, which all accounts lead that way, I’m sure he would have been grateful for the scholarship and understood the ramifications.

NLP you have a problem to do it to get a family member? Hell, that’s an even better reason to give it to him than him earning it. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“X-49er, post:5, topic:24329”]If the kid is playing and contributing much more than mop-up duty, then they will usually get one so we don’t lose them to someone else. It also will/would depend on who we were recruiting and if a much more skilled recruit might be available to give that scholarship to.
[/quote]

Is there a time issue to give scholarships? I’m talking about having unused schollies they know will not be used that year. I’m not talking about giving a walkon a schollie in July, I’m talking about November.

I disagree. He would be thankful if anything. You would be mad?

i never said give them scollie’s over others… only if they were going to be unused.

Giving scholarships to the walk-on brothers of recruits in hopes of gaining favor is an easy way to get played.

Throwing a hot off the grill 20oz ribeye in a bucket of bleach beside a starving homeless guy is just mean.

idk. seriously… i guess most arent seeing my point. its not about helping recruiting, its using something that’s otherwise wasted. I’d be more mad that a team would let it go unused when I could easily use it while i work my butt off in practice. A walk-on knows he’s a walk-on, he not going to expect a schollie, but not gonna be mad about taking one even if its only for a year.

Throwing a hot off the grill 20oz ribeye in a bucket of bleach beside a starving homeless guy is just mean.

idk. seriously… i guess most arent seeing my point. its not about helping recruiting, its using something that’s otherwise wasted. I’d be more mad that a team would let it go unused when I could easily use it while i work my butt off in practice. A walk-on knows he’s a walk-on, he not going to expect a schollie, but not gonna be mad about taking one even if its only for a year.[/quote]it’s not wasted, it’s money that we can save and use on recruiting a player to fulfill that open scholarship the following year.

i never said give them scollie’s over others… only if they were going to be unused.[/quote]

But if you give him that scholarship for one year because it is unused, most likely you might need that scholly the next season for a new recruit. That’s what Hootie’s referring to as far as giving him a scholly over somebody else.

If the guy is a Sr, I think it’s a good move to go ahead and give him the scholly. If he’s not a Sr, unless it’s somebody like Dijuan Harris, I don’t think you give a walk-on a scholarship.