Should walk-ons get scholarships if available?

i never said give them scollie’s over others… only if they were going to be unused.[/quote]

But if you give him that scholarship for one year because it is unused, most likely you might need that scholly the next season for a new recruit. That’s what Hottie’s referring to as far as giving him a scholly over somebody else.[/quote]

and that’s fine. the walk-on would be accepting the scollie with the understanding he is receiving it for this year ONLY because they have an extra one and will most likely not get one the following year.

NOBODY does that. In any sport. Once you give a student athlete a scholarship, its his/hers until they are out of eligibility (or misbehavior via grades or trouble)

NOBODY does that. In any sport. Once you give a student athlete a scholarship, its his/hers until they are out of eligibility (or misbehavior via grades or trouble)[/quote]

May want to ask Tommy Bowden about that.

NOBODY does that. In any sport. Once you give a student athlete a scholarship, its his/hers until they are out of eligibility (or misbehavior via grades or trouble)[/quote]

Walk-ons don’t count metro.

Walk-ons don’t count metro.[/quote]metro? Back on topic, you are off base. Ask around.

if you guys had ever played with a ball in your lives you’d know it doesnt work this way, rooks

People have done it, in fact a staff that Coach Major was a part of has done it. Please redefine “NOBODY”.

Walk-ons don’t count metro.[/quote]metro? Back on topic, you are off base. Ask around.[/quote]

Obviously you aren’t metro, no new poster is metro…

Another point…would other coaches recruiting the same players use the scholly on Colby as saying, “Look, no scholarships are available for you. You’re being recruited by a place without a scholly open.” And matters on the kid if believes him or not. Wouldn’t doubt some coaches would take any advantage they could get in recruiting.

The above OSU was a ncaa sanction, not close to what is discussed here.

Call in and ask Major on his radio show and I am 100% confident he will tell you that if you extend a “grant in aid” aka scholarship, then it is there for the rest of your collegiate term. I am sure you can google a shady football program and find one or two instances. But NOBODY dangles grant in aids year to year. Once offered, its permanent barring behavior or grades.

John Calipari begs to differ.

I think Colby has earned it. If we have one left, refund his parents $ for this year, & let him know it’s one year, so there’s no disappointment next year.

As far as saving the $. We’re rolling in it. We bought out a coach for $275K a year for 4 years for HEAD Coach, not AC price, & we’re not taking the $ games the 1st 2 years of FB. We have $ to spare.

Shockerpat, aka Metro’s 80th double, schollie’s are year to year. Go to ncaa.com. Coaches may ask you to stay forever, but coaches blow smoke up the a55es of players all the time.

Didn’t the recent prospectus show the Athletic Endowment shrunk sizeably last year?

[quote=“shockerpat, post:30, topic:24329”]The above OSU was a ncaa sanction, not close to what is discussed here.

Call in and ask Major on his radio show and I am 100% confident he will tell you that if you extend a “grant in aid” aka scholarship, then it is there for the rest of your collegiate term. I am sure you can google a shady football program and find one or two instances. But NOBODY dangles grant in aids year to year. Once offered, its permanent barring behavior or grades.
[/quote]

it’s not permanent though. i still don’t see how it’s “shady” ?

ur helping a student athlete with a scholarship that would be otherwise wasted. i guess i’ll never see the harm in this.

[quote=“cibik02, post:34, topic:24329”][quote=“shockerpat, post:30, topic:24329”]The above OSU was a ncaa sanction, not close to what is discussed here.

[/quote]

it’s not permanent though. i still don’t see how it’s “shady” ?

ur helping a student athlete with a scholarship that would be otherwise wasted. i guess i’ll never see the harm in this.[/quote]Think of it this way, you are a small tight knit group of guys, do you want Colby to get a grant in aid this year, and then taken away next year because someone caught the staff’s eye? That is a recipe for mutiny and bad blood amongst one another when you pull rank in such a way. You also don’t want to be knows for pulling the rug out from 19 yr old’s feet.

I think if Colby keeps it up, give him the ride. He is earning it thus far. But I also understand if they hold off for a spring signee, but there is zero chance Major going yr to yr with it, its just not Kosher (sp?) nor what classy programs do.

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:32, topic:24329”]I think Colby has earned it. If we have one left, refund his parents $ for this year, & let him know it’s one year, so there’s no disappointment next year.

As far as saving the $. We’re rolling in it. We bought out a coach for $275K a year for 4 years for HEAD Coach, not AC price, & we’re not taking the $ games the 1st 2 years of FB. We have $ to spare.

Shockerpat, aka Metro’s 80th double, schollie’s are year to year. Go to ncaa.com. Coaches may ask you to stay forever, but coaches blow smoke up the a55es of players all the time.[/quote]Thanks! Don’t understand the train reference but anyway…I encourage you to test that theory in the next coache’s show via email. See what he says.

Colby is exceeding my expectations at this point, and I am glad we have him. That said, the money that pays the scholarships comes out of OUR pockets. It doesn’t come from the State (again, really our pockets). It doesn’t come from the scholorship fairy. It comes from that check you write every year. Not using it is not wasting it. I would bet that right now Colby is the happiest guy on the team. He is getting serious minutes playing Div I basketball.

Colby would be scholarship 13. If a high level transfer came available at Jan break, there would be no chance.

If endowment is down, then we shouldn’t turn down money games for FB, & we should have made Lutz’ buyout include AC jobs, is my point, cakewalk.

And if you tell Colby up front, schollie only this year, then you didn’t take anything away because he wasn’t expecting it for next year.

You must not have followed schools that seem to have 7-8 newcomers each year. A scholarship is given ONLY for one-year at a time per NCAA rules. It is up to the institution (ummm, coach) to decide if it schould be renewed by July 1 each year.

Per the NCAA…

[b]Aid based in any degree on athletics ability cannot be awarded in excess of one academic year; the decision of whether a student-athlete is awarded institutional financial aid is made on a year-by-year or term-by-term basis, depending on the regulations of the institution.[/b] If a student-athlete is receiving institutional financial aid based in any degree on athletics ability, the institution must notify the student-athlete in writing on or before July 1, whether the aid has been renewed or not renewed for the next academic year. This written notification comes from the institution's financial aid authority and not from the athletics department.

If the institution decides not to renew the aid or is going to reduce the aid, the institution must notify the student-athlete in writing that he or she has the right to a hearing. This hearing is held before the institutional agency making the award.

Keep in mind that the decision to renew or not renew the financial aid is left to the discretion of the institution, to be determined with its normal practices for students generally.

Link: NCAA.org

Note that the notification comes from the financial aid office and not the athletic department.