Should walk-ons get scholarships if available?

You must not have followed schools that seem to have 7-8 newcomers each year. A scholarship is given ONLY for one-year at a time per NCAA rules. It is up to the institution (ummm, coach) to decide if it schould be renewed by July 1 each year.

Per the NCAA…

[b]Aid based in any degree on athletics ability cannot be awarded in excess of one academic year; the decision of whether a student-athlete is awarded institutional financial aid is made on a year-by-year or term-by-term basis, depending on the regulations of the institution.[/b] If a student-athlete is receiving institutional financial aid based in any degree on athletics ability, the institution must notify the student-athlete in writing on or before July 1, whether the aid has been renewed or not renewed for the next academic year. This written notification comes from the institution's financial aid authority and not from the athletics department.

If the institution decides not to renew the aid or is going to reduce the aid, the institution must notify the student-athlete in writing that he or she has the right to a hearing. This hearing is held before the institutional agency making the award.

Keep in mind that the decision to renew or not renew the financial aid is left to the discretion of the institution, to be determined with its normal practices for students generally.

Link: NCAA.org

Note that the notification comes from the financial aid office and not the athletic department.[/quote]Correct, no argument on a technical basis. However you don’t offer it for a season then yank it away unless (as I noted above) there is a academic or legal issue, but never for performance or wanting to save dollars, or give it to another kid.

If you specifically say I’m giving you a schollie for 1 year only, then how can you say next year it was yanked away, when it was promised NOT to be there, shockerpat?

[quote=“stonecoldken, post:42, topic:24329”]If you specifically say I’m giving you a schollie for 1 year only, then how can you say next year it was yanked away, when it was promised NOT to be there, shockerpat?[/quote]Its absolutely 100% unheard of and unprecedented to do it that way, but you certainly could. I doubt you’d have a solid locker room or reputation taking away scholarships from families, its not a light switch. I would love to know of that situation happening if you could find it…would be an interesting case read where the ride was taken away and the kid stayed on the team (and no behavior or grade issue occured).

What a silly conjecture-based argument. Someone needs to ask Rick Lewis directly how he feels about getting free money for a year whether or not it’s continued going forward. Who turns down that?

Give him Tylers scholarship.

[quote=“NLP, post:44, topic:24329”]What a silly conjecture-based argument. Someone needs to ask Rick Lewis directly how he feels about getting free money for a year whether or not it’s continued going forward. Who turns down that?[/quote]OK, you are right.

certainly lewis (or anybody else) would be thrilled to get a free ride for a year. but can you imagine the can-of-worms it would open for the school?

I haven’t read this thread yet, so this might have been said already BUT…

I think a Walk-on SHOULD be awarded a scholarship… IF… there was one available… and if the walk-on is a senior. Kind of like a reward or a thank you for your hard work and dedication. Otherwise, the other walk-ons might get a little jealous.

You don’t have to look any further than Alan Major’s old program for an example of a walk-on being given a scholarship and then having it taken away.

Mark Titus (aka the founder of Club Trillion) was invited to walk on his freshman year and then they gave him a scholarship because they had an extra. They renewed it for his sophomore year but not for his junior or senior years because they essentially recruited over him.

He mentions it here: http://clubtrillion.blogspot.com/2010/04/welcome-to-future.html

He also says how it sucked to have it taken away but clearly there was an understanding that he was only being given the scholarship because they had a free one to give. I don’t think this is nearly as rare as some of you guys are making it out to be.

[quote=“NinerJags, post:38, topic:24329”]Colby would be scholarship 13. If a high level transfer came available at Jan break, there would be no chance.[/quote]This, end of discussion. What if JTT really has a change of heart after the first semester of failure at Wake and we can’t give him a scholarship because Colby has it?

JTT could pay for a semester, then get the schollie.

[quote=“Universal Niner, post:52, topic:24329”]JTT could pay for a semester, then get the schollie.[/quote]He could, but does JTT have that kind of money? I don’t know, we already know Colby can afford it.

I think we are all on consensus that he needs to transfer here. Wake is going to suck.

it literally takes about 15 seconds and google to see that taking away a scholarship happens more often than “never” and is certainly not “unheard of” or unprecedented. Its so common in fact, that the Dept of Justice is in the middle of a probe to determine if the NCAA needs to take another look into the rule.

But jobetroflyonthelowcountryshockerroseknowsganggreen played baseball so the DOJ should probably just call him up and he could put this all to bed in a second.

[quote=“arn, post:50, topic:24329”]You don’t have to look any further than Alan Major’s old program for an example of a walk-on being given a scholarship and then having it taken away.

Mark Titus (aka the founder of Club Trillion) was invited to walk on his freshman year and then they gave him a scholarship because they had an extra. They renewed it for his sophomore year but not for his junior or senior years because they essentially recruited over him.

He mentions it here: http://clubtrillion.blogspot.com/2010/04/welcome-to-future.html

He also says how it sucked to have it taken away but clearly there was an understanding that he was only being given the scholarship because they had a free one to give. I don’t think this is nearly as rare as some of you guys are making it out to be.[/quote]Thx, we already discussed that above. Sanctioned team vs fully funded is not apple to apples.

[quote=“casstommy, post:55, topic:24329”]it literally takes about 15 seconds and google to see that taking away a scholarship happens more often than “never” and is certainly not “unheard of” or unprecedented. Its so common in fact, that the Dept of Justice is in the middle of a probe to determine if the NCAA needs to take another look into the rule.

But jobetroflyonthelowcountryshockerroseknowsganggreen played baseball so the DOJ should probably just call him up and he could put this all to bed in a second.[/quote]You seem sort of…angry? :slight_smile:

[quote=“shockerpat, post:57, topic:24329”][quote=“casstommy, post:55, topic:24329”]it literally takes about 15 seconds and google to see that taking away a scholarship happens more often than “never” and is certainly not “unheard of” or unprecedented. Its so common in fact, that the Dept of Justice is in the middle of a probe to determine if the NCAA needs to take another look into the rule.

But jobetroflyonthelowcountryshockerroseknowsganggreen played baseball so the DOJ should probably just call him up and he could put this all to bed in a second.[/quote]You seem sort of…angry? :)[/quote]

I was going for snarky