SLU Post Game

Not true. Hereā€™s a positive comment.

[quote=ā€œ49r9r, post:1, topic:24989ā€]Reflecting on the Positives:

Our band is better than theirs.[/quote]

have no fear, the people who have been in charge of the decline of 49er basketball over the last 6 years are about to make their decision soon![/quote]

Thank you for making my day. I feel better now.

[quote=ā€œeason49, post:19, topic:24989ā€]Heā€™s has some bad circumstances, but his in-game coaching has cost us a few games this year and his inability to manage kids cost us 2 players this year.

I donā€™t think heā€™ll be a good coach, but thereā€™s not enough evidence to say that without a shadow of a doubt.[/quote]

The only coaching decisions that I can recall having a impact on not winning have been the two situations of not fouling up 3 and then giving up a 3 pointer. Many coaches will argue each way on what to do in that situation, so IMO neither is wrong. Hindsight is 20/20 in that regard.

For the most part we have lost games because of too many turnovers and not being able to put the ball in the basket consistently.

Yes and the whole inability to manage the playersā€¦ Spears was the first player in D1 history to ever be kicked off a basketball team.

[quote=ā€œeason49, post:19, topic:24989ā€]Heā€™s has some bad circumstances, but his in-game coaching has cost us a few games this year and his inability to manage kids cost us 2 players this year.

I donā€™t think heā€™ll be a good coach, but thereā€™s not enough evidence to say that without a shadow of a doubt.[/quote]

Well, there were some games in December when he seemed to be pretty good with the in-game coaching. I think that itā€™s not his coaching right now, itā€™s the worst roster weā€™ve ever had that is costing us games. We just donā€™t have enough talent to beat anybody really. Add to that the fact that these arenā€™t his players and donā€™t fit in his system and you just canā€™t make a fair judgement of his coaching ability yet. He is actually getting high school guys recruited early on and to me that is the only part of his coaching that can be judged so far. He seems to be a good recruiter. Iā€™m not at all willing to say one way or the other how good a coach he is. He can only be judged for the circumstances.

We have serious talent issues. Just looking at the boxscore, our walkon scored as much or more than 3 of our schollie players, and two of those are 4th year seniors. Ouch.

[quote=ā€œ49timesthelovin, post:24, topic:24989ā€][quote=ā€œeason49, post:19, topic:24989ā€]Heā€™s has some bad circumstances, but his in-game coaching has cost us a few games this year and his inability to manage kids cost us 2 players this year.

Well, there were some games in December when he seemed to be pretty good with the in-game coaching. I think that itā€™s not his coaching right now, itā€™s the worst roster weā€™ve ever had that is costing us games. We just donā€™t have enough talent to beat anybody really. Add to that the fact that these arenā€™t his players and donā€™t fit in his system and you just canā€™t make a fair judgement of his coaching ability yet. He is actually getting high school guys recruited early on and to me that is the only part of his coaching that can be judged so far. He seems to be a good recruiter. Iā€™m not at all willing to say one way or the other how good a coach he is. He can only be judged for the circumstances.[/quote]

I am certainly willing to give Major more time, but so far Iā€™m not real impressed with his in-game coaching and I am so sick of hearing this ā€œyou canā€™t judge him AT ALL because he doesnā€™t have his players yetā€ā€¦Good coaches adjust to their ā€œtalent/players strengthsā€. They then gradually get players in that match the style they want to playā€¦Have you ever heard the saying ā€œa good coach can take his players and beat your players, then turn around and take your players and beat his playersā€? This season is certainly not all Majorā€™s fault, but it is just as wrong to give him a total free pass, even in year one, IMO.

[quote=ā€œsokool, post:8, topic:24989ā€]Major is way out of his league. He is a nice guy and iā€™m sure a great assistant coach. However his ability to match wits with other head coaches in this league is horrible.

Sure iā€™ll give him a pass because heā€™s never had to design a system to fit his players STRENGTHS and its not his fault he was placed in this situation. But he better hope his recruits are so good that they can overcome his inexperience as a coach.

A lot of our turnover issues are simply because he failed to recognize that we do not have the ballhandlers to run a motion offense where 1 thru 5 are required to be skilled dribblers passers and shooters 12 to 15 feet from the basket.

When will he STOP sending Derrio ( the worst shooter on the team % wise) 1 on 5 to take every shot the last 3 min of the game no matter what the degree of difficulty. The coaches in this league are to smart and players are to good to allow you to beat them when your final 3 minute game plan is so eff n predictable.

WTF EVER HAPPENED TO SHARE THE BALL. ???[/quote]Please spare me the drama. Everybody in the building new what play Lutz was going to run almost every time down the floor. It got to the point where the opposition was running 2 & 3 guys at Leemire, when he came off the base line screen. As I told you earlier in the season, you canā€™t make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Bobby created this shit sandwich and we all get to take a bite. Somebody pass the Texas Pete.

[quote=ā€œbball49er, post:27, topic:24989ā€][quote=ā€œsokool, post:8, topic:24989ā€]Major is way out of his league. He is a nice guy and iā€™m sure a great assistant coach. However his ability to match wits with other head coaches in this league is horrible.

Sure iā€™ll give him a pass because heā€™s never had to design a system to fit his players STRENGTHS and its not his fault he was placed in this situation. But he better hope his recruits are so good that they can overcome his inexperience as a coach.

A lot of our turnover issues are simply because he failed to recognize that we do not have the ballhandlers to run a motion offense where 1 thru 5 are required to be skilled dribblers passers and shooters 12 to 15 feet from the basket.

When will he STOP sending Derrio ( the worst shooter on the team % wise) 1 on 5 to take every shot the last 3 min of the game no matter what the degree of difficulty. The coaches in this league are to smart and players are to good to allow you to beat them when your final 3 minute game plan is so eff n predictable.

WTF EVER HAPPENED TO SHARE THE BALL. ???[/quote]Please spare me the drama. Everybody in the building new what play Lutz was going to run almost every time down the floor. It got to the point where the opposition was running 2 & 3 guys at Leemire, when he came off the base line screen. As I told you earlier in the season, you canā€™t make chicken salad out of chicken s***. Bobby created this s*** sandwich and we all get to take a bite. Somebody pass the Texas Pete.[/quote]

Yes, he created this 19-12 crap. The fact is no matter how much people claim THIS YEAR is all Bobbyā€™s fault, Alan Major took over a team that was 19-12 last year and weā€™re 10-16 nowā€¦he had some bad breaks this year, yesā€¦but he is still the HC, not Bobby.

Serious question for anyone: If Bobby were still our HC, what do you think our record would be right now and would SS and PJ still be playing?

I can say this as a fan that has gone to a shit ton of games this year. I will always support the Niners - but given where we are I no longer care if we win or lose. Another game, another loss. Blame it on the players, the coach, Lutz, the refs, Shamari, Phill, whatever. Fact is we are not going anywhere this year. Any shot of us being decent went down when we lost Phil. I still will support them but wins and losses at this point? Just donā€™t care. If we win great, if we lose oh well. I have already moved on to next year. Looking forward to getting the new guys in.

eason keeps trollin trollin trollinā€¦

The only complaint I have of Major and his staff so far is that he was overly ambitious/stubborn early in the season about trying to play his style of defense. Beyond that and not being sure what his position on Sirin is, I think the staff has done a very good job so far, and so have these remaining kids (they play hard, which is the #1 thing we can ask of them), and frankly, I am tired of the snarky bashing.

What I would like to see is for us to score major win with our remaining scholarship.

I can say this as a fan that has gone to a s*** ton of games this year. I will always support the Niners - but given where we are I no longer care if we win or lose. Another game, another loss. Blame it on the players, the coach, Lutz, the refs, Shamari, Phill, whatever. Fact is we are not going anywhere this year. Any shot of us being decent went down when we lost Phil. I still will support them but wins and losses at this point? Just donā€™t care. If we win great, if we lose oh well. I have already moved on to next year. Looking forward to getting the new guys in.[/quote]

Not trying to flame, but I just donā€™t get this. How can you not care? Iā€™d still ā€œcareā€ if we were 2-24. Each loss still bugs me. I donā€™t want to see my team/school continue to struggle regardless whether weā€™re ā€œgoing anywhereā€ or not.

[quote=ā€œ919R, post:28, topic:24989ā€]Serious question for anyone: If Bobby were still our HC, what do you think our record would be right now and would SS and PJ still be playing?[/quote] Our record would be 12 - 15. Spears: yes. Jones: no.

[quote=ā€œpunkrockcowboy, post:7, topic:24989ā€][ul][li]Wellā€¦ at least we arenā€™t losing much scoring after this season.[/li]
[li]Does their band have a kazoo section?[/li]
[li]I decided that I hate St Louis as much as George Washington. They are a bunch of clowns, they play boring basketball, Iā€™m surprised their coach hasnā€™t died yet, their mascot looks like one of those creepy people that dress up like animals or mythological beings at swingers parties.[/li]
[li]Phil Jones tear[/li]
[li]We got mugged on our last 2 possessions over and over and no call.[/li]
[li]We need to recruit post players who can rebound and FINISH at POINT BLANK RANGE.[/li][/ul][/quote]

This is great, reminds of the CUSA days.
I have to agree on one thing, we stink. Watching the game was extremely hard to say the least. Our games usually comes down at to whose at home.
The fans here sound similar to Billiken fans, just want the season to end. We been hit with very bad luck. Our 3 biggest biggest scorers, Mitchell (who probably would have been all-A10 this year) and Reed (center who was our leading shot blocker & 2nd leading scorer) suspended. Also, Ellis (who was on the all-Freshman team last year & 3rd leading scorer) out with a shoulder injury. SLU does not have a player who averages in double figures. What you saw yesterday for SLU for a large part of the game was 4 freshmen on the floor.
Hopefully next year this will all change for both us.
Anyway, as all the previous SLU-Charlotte games, I will be in the Halton. ;D

[quote=ā€œsokool, post:8, topic:24989ā€]Major is way out of his league. He is a nice guy and iā€™m sure a great assistant coach. However his ability to match wits with other head coaches in this league is horrible.

WTF EVER HAPPENED TO SHARE THE BALL. ???[/quote]

hmmmā€¦Major has NOTHING to work with. The talent on this team is bleak. A few bright spots with KJ, Barnett, Bras and Duece. Honestly I am amazed he got this team to win over Tenn and Xavier. It is ignorant and a waste of time to criticize a coach coming in with none of his players taking over a team that were against his hiring. Blame our recruiting first and foremost.

[quote=ā€œ919R, post:28, topic:24989ā€][quote=ā€œbball49er, post:27, topic:24989ā€][quote=ā€œsokool, post:8, topic:24989ā€]Major is way out of his league. He is a nice guy and iā€™m sure a great assistant coach. However his ability to match wits with other head coaches in this league is horrible.

WTF EVER HAPPENED TO SHARE THE BALL. ???[/quote]Please spare me the drama. Everybody in the building new what play Lutz was going to run almost every time down the floor. It got to the point where the opposition was running 2 & 3 guys at Leemire, when he came off the base line screen. As I told you earlier in the season, you canā€™t make chicken salad out of chicken s***. Bobby created this s*** sandwich and we all get to take a bite. Somebody pass the Texas Pete.[/quote]

Yes, he created this 19-12 crap. The fact is no matter how much people claim THIS YEAR is all Bobbyā€™s fault, Alan Major took over a team that was 19-12 last year and weā€™re 10-16 nowā€¦he had some bad breaks this year, yesā€¦but he is still the HC, not Bobby.

Serious question for anyone: If Bobby were still our HC, what do you think our record would be right now and would SS and PJ still be playing?[/quote]

Spears would be playing, Jones is debatable.

I think we might have a few more wins, Iā€™d say we would be a .500 team.

But would us being .500 do us any good? Iā€™d rather suffer with a rebuilding year than stick with the status quo.

I can say this as a fan that has gone to a s*** ton of games this year. I will always support the Niners - but given where we are I no longer care if we win or lose. Another game, another loss. Blame it on the players, the coach, Lutz, the refs, Shamari, Phill, whatever. Fact is we are not going anywhere this year. Any shot of us being decent went down when we lost Phil. I still will support them but wins and losses at this point? Just donā€™t care. If we win great, if we lose oh well. I have already moved on to next year. Looking forward to getting the new guys in.[/quote]

Not trying to flame, but I just donā€™t get this. How can you not care? Iā€™d still ā€œcareā€ if we were 2-24. Each loss still bugs me. I donā€™t want to see my team/school continue to struggle regardless whether weā€™re ā€œgoing anywhereā€ or not.[/quote]

Like I said I still support the team. This team as it is now constructed is built to lose. We just donā€™t have the dogs to run the race. Based on that I just donā€™t care if we lose. I will still be at the games and I will still cheer the boys on. I am just at the point where losses donā€™t bother me. So if we lose, oh well. If we win then I will be very happy.

[quote=ā€œbball49er, post:27, topic:24989ā€][quote=ā€œsokool, post:8, topic:24989ā€]Major is way out of his league. He is a nice guy and iā€™m sure a great assistant coach. However his ability to match wits with other head coaches in this league is horrible.

Man, well said. Now pass the Pete as I take hopefully my last bite of this nasty thing.

I was not a big Bobby fan after many years,going to wait at least thru next year to judge Major.

Iā€™ll say this,sadly,iā€™m not sure that we have 1 guy who would start for a good team.Even the players that most of us consider our better players have major weaknessesā€¦Bras might be the worst finisher around the basket
Derrio is a horrible shooter as 2 years have shown us
Deuce is really handicapped by his lack of height and rarely can penetrate and finish
Dew and Wilderness are just absolutely painful to watch offensively
Barnett is a decent 3 point shooter,but is a lousy ballhandler and has a low basketball IQ
Sirin is in the outhouseā€¦as many have stated already,his defense does suck,but he is 1 of the few who can put the ball in the hoop.I assume.like many here,that Major is running him out of town.

I wish the losses didnā€™t hurt anymore,but they still doā€¦If we fail to even make the A-10 Tourney iā€™m going to be really pissed.

[quote=ā€œ919R, post:28, topic:24989ā€]Yes, he created this 19-12 crap. The fact is no matter how much people claim THIS YEAR is all Bobbyā€™s fault, Alan Major took over a team that was 19-12 last year and weā€™re 10-16 nowā€¦he had some bad breaks this year, yesā€¦but he is still the HC, not Bobby.

Serious question for anyone: If Bobby were still our HC, what do you think our record would be right now and would SS and PJ still be playing?[/quote]

lol 919R this is not the same team.
Spears would play, and weā€™d beat St Boneventure, St Louis, and ECU a second time because heā€™d score 20-25 points but we would have tried to run with TN, GA Tech, and Xavier and weā€™d lose those games.
Phil Jones, I donā€™t know.

I say weā€™d have the same record, but for different reasons. I respect your opinion, but Iā€™d rather take care of issues in house (discipline issues), suck it out, and get players who need experience (KJ & JB) experience rather than masquerading as if everything is ok when itā€™s not. I believe that there was turmoil inside the team last year, chemistry issues. I have no evidence of this, but I think something was seriously wrong in the team towards the end of the season. Iā€™d rather go through the pain of rebuilding, take some lumps, and become a program that doesnā€™t live and die by shooting streaks or collapse every time March comes around.

Please explain to me the strengths of this team. I would say guts and courage, itā€™s certainly not talent.

[quote=ā€œCharlotte2002, post:23, topic:24989ā€][quote=ā€œeason49, post:19, topic:24989ā€]Heā€™s has some bad circumstances, but his in-game coaching has cost us a few games this year and his inability to manage kids cost us 2 players this year.

The only coaching decisions that I can recall having a impact on not winning have been the two situations of not fouling up 3 and then giving up a 3 pointer. Many coaches will argue each way on what to do in that situation, so IMO neither is wrong. Hindsight is 20/20 in that regard.

For the most part we have lost games because of too many turnovers and not being able to put the ball in the basket consistently.

Yes and the whole inability to manage the playersā€¦ Spears was the first player in D1 history to ever be kicked off a basketball team.[/quote]

http://statsheet.com/mcb/games/2011/01/29/la-salle-91-charlotte-86/play_by_play

Start with :11 seconds left when we called a timeout when La Salle didnā€™t have any, so they could draw up a play. Also, like it or not but some of the blame of losing Spears and Jones falls on Major. Itā€™s not all or even mostly his fault, but to say he couldnā€™t have done anything differently is ludicrous.

Also, Iā€™m pretty tired of seeing Majorā€™s inability to draw up a gameplan in the last few minutes other than ā€œJACK IT UP, DERRIOā€.

NA, give me a break. You need to learn what trolling is if you think its when anyone someone disagrees with the circlejerk that occurs on here where people try to turn Major into some hero that he isnā€™t and align him with philosophies they want when he hasnā€™t done any of it.

This is all completely ignoring the fact Lutz was partially fired because he didnā€™t involve the community enough, when Major has 0 personality.