SLU Post Game

Spears showed open contempt for Major and threatened another coach. If Spears wasn’t a talented player no one on here would give a crap he was booted. But because he was somehow Major didn’t “manage” him right. What, he didn’t hug Spears enough? Tell him how great he was enough? You all act like Spears wasn’t a punk or a troublemaker until Major got here. It’s been fairly well established that is not the case.

As far as Phil, please explain what Major should have done that he didn’t. Keep in mind this requires knowledge of what he actually did in the first place.

Spears showed open contempt for Major and threatened another coach. If Spears wasn’t a talented player no one on here would give a crap he was booted. But because he was somehow Major didn’t “manage” him right. What, he didn’t hug Spears enough? Tell him how great he was enough? You all act like Spears wasn’t a punk or a troublemaker until Major got here. It’s been fairly well established that is not the case.

As far as Phil, please explain what Major should have done that he didn’t. Keep in mind this requires knowledge of what he actually did in the first place.[/quote]

Dealing with douchebags is part of the job… dealing with douchebags is part of ANY managerial job. He apparently doesn’t have the skills to handle it. Maybe we’ll get a bunch of 5 star kids that are angels so Major won’t have to deal with people skills.

I can say this as a fan that has gone to a s*** ton of games this year. I will always support the Niners - but given where we are I no longer care if we win or lose. Another game, another loss. Blame it on the players, the coach, Lutz, the refs, Shamari, Phill, whatever. Fact is we are not going anywhere this year. Any shot of us being decent went down when we lost Phil. I still will support them but wins and losses at this point? Just don’t care. If we win great, if we lose oh well. I have already moved on to next year. Looking forward to getting the new guys in.[/quote]

Not trying to flame, but I just don’t get this. How can you not care? I’d still “care” if we were 2-24. Each loss still bugs me. I don’t want to see my team/school continue to struggle regardless whether we’re “going anywhere” or not.[/quote]

Like I said I still support the team. This team as it is now constructed is built to lose. We just don’t have the dogs to run the race. Based on that I just don’t care if we lose. I will still be at the games and I will still cheer the boys on. I am just at the point where losses don’t bother me. So if we lose, oh well. If we win then I will be very happy.[/quote]
Okay I understand what you are saying.If you are still attending the games , then you do care.The loses don’t hurt as much because the expections are not the same.I’m on the same page with you on that but the loses still bother me.The reason why is.This team is underman but the effort is always there,except the Dayton game. I like to see them do will because all that they have had to deal with.This team has not given up and neither will I.I will be at Halton and I watch the road games on the web.To cheer on my boys

When the douchebags harm the entire team they need to be cut lose. It can’t be argued that we didn’t play better and as more of a team without Spears than we did with him. Major did handle it, and the right way.

Oh, and you forgot to explain how Major failed with Phil.

When the douchebags harm the entire team they need to be cut lose. It can’t be argued that we didn’t play better and as more of a team without Spears than we did with him.

Oh, and you forgot to explain how Major failed with Phil.[/quote]

We are not a more talented team without Spears. A good coach would have gotten him to buy in. Major just isn’t a people person. He doesn’t look like much of an X’s and O’s person either, so far… Let’s completely ignore all of the ranked teams we beat last year with Spears and only focus on the 2 “notable” teams we beat this year (one that was more UT’s ridiculous collapse than our awesomeness, and the other was a middle of the pack ACC team). Like I said, certain people will make whatever excuses they can for Major, just like they did with Lutz. So be it. Maybe it will make all of the losses we’ll face easier to swallow if it is always someone elses fault and totally out of anyones control.

Major should have been monitoring Phil. He had an entire semester to work with him, and didn’t do enough. Like you said, nothing was announced officially, so you can make up whatever bullshit you want to try to give Major a pass if you like, but the failures of the players in whatever facet are the fault of the coaches.

When the douchebags harm the entire team they need to be cut lose. It can’t be argued that we didn’t play better and as more of a team without Spears than we did with him.

We are not a more talented team without Spears. A good coach would have gotten him to buy in.[/quote]

Bob Huggins is a pretty good coach, he’s kicked off plenty of players.

Under Major, were we more talented with Spears, yes. Were we a better team, no.

If you can’t seem to understand that, it is clear that you never played any organized team sports, or if you did you were masquerading.

Playing better without him isn’t the same as being more talented with him. Sorry I didn’t explain that, I thought it would be understood.

A good coach would have gotten him to buy in.

And you know this…how exactly? Roy Williams kicked Dudley Graves off last year. Guess he’s not a good coach. Cause as you say, good coaches never have to kick problem players off the team.

Major should have been monitoring Phil.

And you know Major wasn’t monitoring him…how exactly?

He had an entire semester to work with him, and didn't do enough.

Define “enough.” What would have been “enough?” List what he did do and explain why it wasn’t “enough.”

so you can make up whatever bullshit you want to try to give Major a pass if you like,

What I have I made up? I haven’t made anything up. I have asked you, since clearly you possess a wealth of information about what Major did and why it wasn’t enough, to fill us in. Or are you simply making up whatever BS you like so you can blame Major?

See eason, there is a difference between not placing blame because you don’t know the details, and placing blame when you don’t know the details.

We are not a more talented team without Spears. A good coach would have gotten him to buy in.[/quote]

Bob Huggins is a pretty good coach, he’s kicked off plenty of players.

Under Major, were we more talented with Spears, yes. Were we a better team, no.

If you can’t seem to understand that, it is clear that you never played any organized team sports, or if you did you were masquerading.[/quote]

We are currently a bad team. We were a bad team. We are still a bad team. We had more potential with Spears.

You can kick guys off if you have talent to make up for it. You kick off guys that are replaceable. You don’t kick off the best player on your team; you manage his personality. Look at sports at any level and you’ll see special treatment for the BEST player that the other scrubs don’t get.

Like I said, it wasn’t all his fault, and this is getting off topic. People love making ex-players scapegoats. It’s a lot easier to argue “well it was spears fault” than deal with the evidence that Major has been weak as a coach this year.

Anyway, back to the point: Major has cost plenty of games because of his COACHING. I’ve already posted the games in multiple other threads but people don’t want to respond to those (just like no one responded to the La Salle game), because there is no excuse for having the worst shooter on the team always take the last shot or for calling a timeout to let the other team draw up a play. I’m not even going to start with how shitty our offensive gameplans are. (And what offensive powerhouse do we have coming in next year that is going to solve that?)

Edit: Bolded parts can serve as response to MKniner as well.

Um…nothing you bolded gives the details on Phil you seem to have but refuse to share.

Just throwing that out there.

Um…nothing you bolded gives the details on Phil you seem to have but refuse to share.

Just throwing that out there.[/quote]

There’s not enough details on what happened, but I’ve already explained why it was his fault as his coach/manager. Sorry you don’t want to read it.

Just throwing that out there.[/quote]

There’s not enough details on what happened, but I’ve already explained why it was his fault as his coach/manager. Sorry you don’t want to read it.[/quote]

Um, you said Major didn’t monitor Phil and he didn’t do “enough.” I asked how you knew he didn’t monitor Phil and why what he did wasn’t enough.

I read it, you just didn’t really say anything. That’s why I asked for the basic details that one would naturally possess when making such definitive statements like the ones you made.

Or…do you not have them?

This team has no good/great players. Zero.

All this talk about last year and all:

PG- Harris was the heart and ran this team, Deuce runs this team into a turnover.

SG- Derrio…enough said. I dont think we even have one legit backup for him. Maybe Sir Charles but he does now know what a shot is so we are stuck with his running the break 3 and one and shoots a contested three.

SF- Anjuan…I swear this guy has regressed since his Freshman year. Bobby never developed anyone for that fact. He has no shot…from 3 to layup…even free throws.
Charles- Plays hard and good at rebounding but still no shot. Never really got better
Sirin- Good shooter…awful D, doesn’t seem to care, just does not fit in

PF- JB- Has improved a lot. Terrible ball handler. Pretty good D. Sometimes disappears for too long.

C- Braswell. It is really annoying to hear he averaged blah blah last year. When you have 4 perimeter shooters your center gets rebounds and easy put backs. New style does not equal that. Also has no left hand and about half a right hand. My favorite thing at the game is to see his ugly ass shot from three. That will win us games for sure.

Bench: KJ. That’s about it.

I don’t know why Phil got suspended but I do know that Major is actually forcing the kids to go to class which makes one assume that Bobby did not. We are paying for them to go to school…so go to school.

–the only positive about this year is getting rid of the players that are graduating. We have good players coming in that are not only sitting out this year but also recruits. Major has stood up and is not putting up with these players crap. Spears was a good player, but an awful team player.

Everyone on here keeps saying rock bottom and all. If rock bottom is 10 wins, I can’t wait to see average and above average.

–Even if Major has cost us some wins, we would have 13 or 14 wins. WHO HOOOO. Give me a break. I will take him losing a few games this year to learn his lesson.

[quote=“eason49, post:48, topic:24989”]We are currently a bad team. We were a bad team. We are still a bad team. We had more potential with Spears.

You can kick guys off if you have talent to make up for it. You kick off guys that are replaceable. You don’t kick off the best player on your team; you manage his personality. Look at sports at any level and you’ll see special treatment for the BEST player that the other scrubs don’t get.

Like I said, it wasn’t all his fault, and this is getting off topic. People love making ex-players scapegoats. It’s a lot easier to argue “well it was spears fault” than deal with the evidence that Major has been weak as a coach this year.

Anyway, back to the point: Major has cost plenty of games because of his COACHING. I’ve already posted the games in multiple other threads but people don’t want to respond to those (just like no one responded to the La Salle game), because there is no excuse for having the worst shooter on the team always take the last shot or for calling a timeout to let the other team draw up a play. I’m not even going to start with how shitty our offensive gameplans are. (And what offensive powerhouse do we have coming in next year that is going to solve that?)

Edit: Bolded parts can serve as response to MKniner as well.[/quote]

Derrio is not a good shooter statistically, but it’s not as bad as you make it sound. He is ridiculously streaky and sometimes really goes off for big time shots. Do I think we need to come up with a better last play? If possible. Is it as bad as you make it sound? No. I don’t see it as any worse than Lutz running a play for Lamont Mack at the end of the game. We don’t have much to work with.
What are we going to do, run a screen play for our best shooter, Gokhan? He can’t get his own shot off unless he is wide open. Are we going to run a play for Colby? Are we going to run a play for Dewhurst or Wilderness who scored less than Colby yesterday despite triple his minutes? Are we going to give the ball to Deuce? I trust Deuce’ shooting but he gets blocked way too often. Are we going to run a play for Braswell who misses point blank shots (at least he gets fouled)? Maybe we could run the pick and roll with KJ? Are we going to run a play for JB? I would have yesterday, but he is not always as hot as he was.
The last 3 I have suggested are the only viable alternatives in my eyes, and they aren’t sure fire either. What play would you run?

Lastly, I completely disagree with you over Spears. I don’t know the guy personally, and I wish him the best; but it was painfully obvious that he was detrimental to the development of the team. You are the only person I know who would rather keep Spears for the chance at a .500 season, and even a .500 season is debatable, rather than give valuable experience to KJ and JB and give us the chance to bond better as a team. .500 means shit to me. Spears wasn’t going to make us a tournament team. If we had the chance to make the tournament with a volatile Spears then I might agree with you; but that wasn’t going to happen. Not even close.

MK, you’ve convinced me.

Major calling a timeout to set up a play for the other team was a good decision.

Major telling Derrio to jack up off-balance 3 pointers at the end of regular half-a-dozen times were good decisions.

Major’s lack of personality is not a weakness, but a strength.

It’s not Major’s fault we are minus two players. It is never the coach’s fault.

We will be better next year when we bring in a bunch of freshmen.

Go Niners!

[quote=“eason49, post:54, topic:24989”]MK, you’ve convinced me.

Major calling a timeout to set up a play for the other team was a good decision.

Major telling Derrio to jack up off-balance 3 pointers at the end of regular half-a-dozen times were good decisions.

Major’s lack of personality is not a weakness, but a strength.

It’s not Major’s fault we are minus two players. It is never the coach’s fault.

We will be better next year when we bring in a bunch of freshmen.

Go Niners![/quote]

Nope, I’m proud of our record and results this year.

Go Niners!

The problem this year is that both coaches in this mythical match-up would probably lose with our players. We just do not have enough clubs in the bag to really succeed.

I like your point at the end. Don’t get me wrong I cherish ever W but I am a tourney or bust person. 2-10 or 6-6 makes no difference in the end to me unless we make the ncaa tourney.

I am not trolling.

Someone has asked me for the details of my argument, but instead I will say they have not read the stuff which they quoted, and claim it is in another thread and I can’t be bothered to repost it.

I’ll be asked again, and again not give the details which are the basis of my very strong argument.

I will then make an over the top sarcastic statement which no one on the opposing side has even hinted at, acting like they can’t be reasoned with.

I am not trolling.

LOL.

Whenever I start to think you might not be trolling and really believe some of the shit you say, you drop a gem like this one.

Nice work eason.