SLU Post Game

Jones wasn’t suspended. His grades weren’t good enough to be eligible.

Major didn’t call a TO for LaSalle. He told the ref, “they have no TO’s left,” & the dumb ref charged us with a TO against Major’s will.

LOL.

Whenever I start to think you might not be trolling and really believe some of the s*** you say, you drop a gem like this one.

Nice work eason.[/quote]

It’s okay to be on Coach Major’s side if the details aren’t 100%, but it’s not okay not to be on his side.

LOL.

Whenever I start to think you might not be trolling and really believe some of the s*** you say, you drop a gem like this one.

Nice work eason.[/quote]

After a couple of those gems, I start wanting a 23 win season so I can see what he’ll find to bitch about.

This couldn’t get any better…Oh yes it could…FIRE JUDY ROSE…FIRE JUDY ROSE…FIRE JUDY ROSE…and to say Bobby didn’t care about kids going to class…hahaha…what a joke comment…name one kid that was academically ineligible for Bobby…plus to say that is stupid…Bobby had 3 degrees, masters, etc…he put a ton of emphasis on education…what an idiotic comment…GO NINERS…NOT! HAHAHAHA…FIRE JUDY ROSE!!! FIRE JUDY ROSE!!! LOSERS…

From what I understand, the problems with Spears and Phil were ongoing BEFORE Major was ever hired. Sometimes, you can only help so much. Major and co. did what they could to help Phil stay academically eligible. Could they have done more? Maybe. But I’m not going to call him a bad coach because a 25 year old man couldn’t keep a 2.0 GPA.

Spears being booted was a great decision. He didn’t play defense and his presence was detrimental to the team. Major kicking him off set the mood for HIS program. No player is more important than the program, especially one that didn’t seem committed to being in shape and playing solid defense. The team responded well, too. Losing Phil Jones was a much bigger hit to this team than kicking Spears off was.

As for his in game coaching decisions, eason’s given one example. I’ll agree 100% that it’s been obvious Major is a rookie head coach, but you’ve gotta give more examples if you’re going to say that he’s lost us several games.

Oh yea, by the way, our best teams would lose at SLU. No big surprise we lost this weekend.

m

[b]Derrio is not a good shooter statistically[/b], but it's not as bad as you make it sound. [b]He is ridiculously streaky[/b] and sometimes really goes off for big time shots. Do I think we need to come up with a better last play? If possible. Is it as bad as you make it sound? No. I don't see it as any worse than Lutz running a play for Lamont Mack at the end of the game. We don't have much to work with. What are we going to do, run a screen play for our best shooter, Gokhan? He can't get his own shot off unless he is wide open. Are we going to run a play for Colby? Are we going to run a play for Dewhurst or Wilderness who scored less than Colby yesterday despite triple his minutes? Are we going to give the ball to Deuce? I trust Deuce' shooting but he gets blocked way too often. Are we going to run a play for Braswell who misses point blank shots (at least he gets fouled)? Maybe we could run the pick and roll with KJ? Are we going to run a play for JB? I would have yesterday, but he is not always as hot as he was. The last 3 I have suggested are the only viable alternatives in my eyes, and they aren't sure fire either. What play would you run?

Is there another way to be a good shooter? Non-statistically speaking he is a good shooter?

If he were “ridiculously streaky” he would not be shooting 33% and 28% respectively.

We may not have another option but let’s not make the argument that the option we have is good. It’s poor at best.

Maybe he could give you one of those degrees. You seem like you’re in need.

HAHAHAHA. Bazinga!

www.the49ergoldrush.com

im quite sure that phil, spears and wilderness were suspended for the first game because they didnt go to class under lutz. what are you laughing about? these guys, are lutz’s players, not major’s. you act like major recruited these unathletic, non-shooters. major is actually bringing in talent, something lutz failed to do before he was fired, despite having five scholarship and the entire signing period. lutz certainly wasent stupid, but he couldnt teach basketball.

[quote=“919R, post:28, topic:24989”][quote=“bball49er, post:27, topic:24989”][quote=“sokool, post:8, topic:24989”]Major is way out of his league. He is a nice guy and i’m sure a great assistant coach. However his ability to match wits with other head coaches in this league is horrible.

Sure i’ll give him a pass because he’s never had to design a system to fit his players STRENGTHS and its not his fault he was placed in this situation. But he better hope his recruits are so good that they can overcome his inexperience as a coach.

A lot of our turnover issues are simply because he failed to recognize that we do not have the ballhandlers to run a motion offense where 1 thru 5 are required to be skilled dribblers passers and shooters 12 to 15 feet from the basket.

When will he STOP sending Derrio ( the worst shooter on the team % wise) 1 on 5 to take every shot the last 3 min of the game no matter what the degree of difficulty. The coaches in this league are to smart and players are to good to allow you to beat them when your final 3 minute game plan is so eff n predictable.

WTF EVER HAPPENED TO SHARE THE BALL. ???[/quote]Please spare me the drama. Everybody in the building new what play Lutz was going to run almost every time down the floor. It got to the point where the opposition was running 2 & 3 guys at Leemire, when he came off the base line screen. As I told you earlier in the season, you can’t make chicken salad out of chicken s***. Bobby created this s*** sandwich and we all get to take a bite. Somebody pass the Texas Pete.[/quote]

Yes, he created this 19-12 crap. The fact is no matter how much people claim THIS YEAR is all Bobby’s fault, Alan Major took over a team that was 19-12 last year and we’re 10-16 now…he had some bad breaks this year, yes…but he is still the HC, not Bobby.

Serious question for anyone: If Bobby were still our HC, what do you think our record would be right now and would SS and PJ still be playing?[/quote]

19-12. look at the teams we beat. the record is misleading. we had one decent win over a decimated, overrated louisvillee team. at least this season we have three pretty good wins.

so lets stick with what we do know shall we? And that happens to be that a grown ass man couldnt keep a 2.0 despite having a wealth of resources available for him to do so. Sometimes its hard to pass the buck.

Sometimes I wonder if some on here would prefer a babysitter to be on our coaching staff. You go to college to grow up and transition from a child to an adult. Take some responsibility for yourself. These guys get tutors that are specific for athletes, they get coddled at all levels during their stay, a 2.0 GPA isn’t much to ask for. As much as some made fun of the UNC tutor scandal (and rightfully so), I question if some wish we had that sleeze in place here.

I think it is fair to question how much of the Spears and Jones failures were Coach Major’s fault, and how much belongs to the player. Let me offer a perspective.

What is Spears’ and Jones’ biggest priority right now? Getting a job playing ball overseas. How does that process normally work? The Athletic Department focuses resources on preparing tape for them, works the phones, etc. During the last couple of months of the semester Spears and Jones need a place to live, food, etc. Who covers those costs for them? The Athletic Dept. While Jones is not eligible to play, he can still practice and workout with the team keeping him in game shape for the next step. What does the Athletic Dept ask in return for providing all of this? Go to class, be a student. That is it.

Are Spears and Jones taking advantage of the assistance offered to them? Not at this point. The Athletic Dept was just asking too much I guess. Going to class? Not a part of their plan. If they struggle landing a decent pro contract I am sure that it will somehow be Coach’s fault, the Athletic Dept’s fault, Niner Nation’s fault…somebody besides themselves. You would hope that Seniors would have developed some sense of personal responsibility and ownership for their own futures by this time. It is hard to say that they have.

[quote=“CharSFNiners, post:73, topic:24989”]Sometimes I wonder if some on here would prefer a babysitter to be on our coaching staff. You go to college to grow up and transition from a child to an adult. Take some responsibility for yourself. These guys get tutors that are specific for athletes, they get coddled at all levels during their stay, a 2.0 GPA isn’t much to ask for. As much as some made fun of the UNC tutor scandal (and rightfully so), I question if some wish we had that sleeze in place here.[/quote] Spot on! Why is this even being discussed? Spears and Jones f’d up. That’s it. That’s all. Move on.

But, but but, this doesn’t happen elsewhere!!!

HOF’ers and NC winning coaches can recover though. They have cache.

[quote=“Charlotte2002, post:17, topic:24989”]As I have said a million times, they call it rebuilding for a reason, you don’t fire a coach without rebuilding.

What strengths can we play to? Because our roster can’t be strong with the ball that is our coach’s fault? Maybe the players should man up and take pride in the possession.

So far he has not recruited undersized players, I think that is a plus moving forward.[/quote]

Depends.

Georgia
09-10: 14 - 17
10-11: 18 - 8

Boston College
09-10: 15 - 16
10-11: 16 - 10

Iowa State
09-10: 15 - 17
10-11: 14 - 13

St Johns
09-10: 17 - 16
10-11: 17 - 9

Hofstra
09-10: 19 - 15
10-11: 18 - 10

Oregon
09-10: 16 - 16
10-11: 14 - 12

Boise State
09-10: 15 - 17
10-11: 15 - 11

East Carolina
09-10: 10 - 21
10-11: 13 - 13

Wow, so hard to make comparisons like this. Every team is in a unique situation. You’ll see who the good coaches are over the long haul, not the 1st year. Hell, Lutz was imho one of the best coaches in the country in his 1st year. But, sadly, that didn’t last once we moved to the A10 and the talent well dried up for him.

And, by the way, your biggest example of improvement so far (UGA) doesn’t even make sense. Mark Fox was the coach in both those years that you listed. Which means he improved in year 2.

[quote=“Iron9er, post:79, topic:24989”]Wow, so hard to make comparisons like this. Every team is in a unique situation. You’ll see who the good coaches are over the long haul, not the 1st year. Hell, Lutz was imho one of the best coaches in the country in his 1st year. But, sadly, that didn’t last once we moved to the A10 and the talent well dried up for him.

And, by the way, your biggest example of improvement so far (UGA) doesn’t even make sense. Mark Fox was the coach in both those years that you listed. Which means he improved in year 2.[/quote]

My bad. Wrong year for UGA.

08-09: 12 - 20
09-10: 14-17

I agree every team is different. That’s partly why I posted it. In response that it’s a rebuilding year so expect to have a bad record. I also agree that the good coaches make it work over the long haul. I’m not done with Major. Very excited about the recruits.