So We Lost to Xaiver in the A10 Tournament!!!

WTF!!! what is wrong with our athletics… It seems like we are always regular season champs but when it comes to the playoffs we blow harder than perez Hilton. This is B.S.!! What are the coaches telling there players!! Oh you’re good we are currently 8th so it’s cool that we lose in the first round of our playoffs because the A10 is such a powerhouse conference. This is also a regular problem with Hibbs and our baseball team. Someone needs to put a spark in their butts. IDK am i the only one that feels this way. UNACCEPTABLE for them to lose. It’s time we hold the coaches responsible for their playoff success as well

I don’t know diddly about soccer, but I follow the team on Twitter and it seems that we have torched other teams on shots all year but we just can’t score. This seems a lot like a basketball team that cannot hit free throws. There is some skill that we just are not practicing enough.

Its hard for me to be disappointed. I feel bad for the seniors, but hopefully we can get an at-large bid and the season won’t be lost on another overtime loss.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=205331367

Give the guys a break. Like you are perfect and undefeated? Ass

I had exactly the same thoughts, Nuggs. I follow the team via Twitter as well, and they always report the shots-on-goal stat to be massively in our favor (often 2:1 or better). Can some soccer minds and actual visual followers provide some reasons why we’re not converting more (across the whole season, not just this one loss)?

Xavier seems to have our number in the league tournament. Maybe they have been lucky and maybe their style of play just matches up well for them against us. This loss shouldn’t keep us out of the NCAA’s, but it sure will foul up our seed. Good luck to the “boys”. Hopefully, for my sake, our NCAA game will not conflict with basketball.

If it was anything like last year’s game against Xavier, the Musketeers probably stacked the box and played extremely defensive soccer. Essentially playing for a tie.

While we get a lot of shots, not all of them are good shots. Many from outside the box because it’s hard to break through.

When we play teams that also play attacking soccer, or even balanced soccer, we have a better chance of winning.

X just got lucky in OT. It happens. Last season it was obvious they were playing for PKs.

I had exactly the same thoughts, Nuggs. I follow the team via Twitter as well, and they always report the shots-on-goal stat to be massively in our favor (often 2:1 or better). Can some soccer minds and actual visual followers provide some reasons why we’re not converting more (across the whole season, not just this one loss)?[/quote] Well, there are shots and there are opportunities. Some shots have only a prayer of going into the goal. You can control play most of the game and get many shots, but if the opposition chooses to lay back and form a virtual wall around the goal neither they nor you are going to get many dangerous chances. Xavier just took advantage of 2 of about 3 real scoring chances last night. BTW, they dogpiled at the end of the game as if they had won something besides a quarterfinal game, so I’m guessing we got their very best shot and they might be done for today. ( I see J Felt just posted essentially the same)

Thanks for the clarification.

It seems like some folks are genuinely worried we may not get a NCAA invite? Is this true? In my ignorance, I was assuming that we’d get one regardless of the X result and moreover we’d probably have a home game or two…

I hope we do get a home game…would like to come out and cheer them on.

[quote=“J Felt, post:8, topic:25858”]If it was anything like last year’s game against Xavier, the Musketeers probably stacked the box and played extremely defensive soccer. Essentially playing for a tie.

While we get a lot of shots, not all of them are good shots. Many from outside the box because it’s hard to break through.

When we play teams that also play attacking soccer, or even balanced soccer, we have a better chance of winning.

X just got lucky in OT. It happens. Last season it was obvious they were playing for PKs.[/quote]

This.

This is incredibly dissappointing. Our top ten RPI should guarantee us a spot in the NCAAs but I just can’t trust the heavy BCS bias in the selection committee.

It would be such a slap in the face if we miss out back to back years because of crappy performances in the conference tourney.

[quote=“SteauA, post:11, topic:25858”][quote=“J Felt, post:8, topic:25858”]If it was anything like last year’s game against Xavier, the Musketeers probably stacked the box and played extremely defensive soccer. Essentially playing for a tie.

X just got lucky in OT. It happens. Last season it was obvious they were playing for PKs.[/quote]

This.

This is incredibly dissappointing. Our top ten RPI should guarantee us a spot in the NCAAs but I just can’t trust the heavy BCS bias in the selection committee.

It would be such a slap in the face if we miss out back to back years because of crappy performances in the conference tourney.[/quote]
and this is why soccer sucks…

That’s like saying basketball sucks because of the Princeton offense, or the way Saint Louis played in the early 00s.

Every sport has a style that sucks to watch. The Devils killed hockey with the Trap, and now the Lightning are using a 1-3-1 with simlar results. For football, it’s the triple option.

A Niner team flames out early in a tournament? I’m stunned.

Yes, a top 10 RPI should get us in.

FWIW, think about how Saint Louis must feel. Tourney host and the Billikens didn’t even make the cut to play on their home field! But then again, only 4 conference teams even had overall winning records this year - Charlotte, co-regular season champs Fordham and GW, and Xavier. Futbol just isn’t one of the A-10’s strong points!

1 L the whole season in Conf., you don’t expect to go 1 & done in the Conf. Tourney. :’(

And Reasons To Hate Soccer:
I know from when FB used to have ties, that 6-1-2 is better than 7-2, yet we were 3rd in Conf., not 1st. Two 7-2 teams were ahead of us in the standings.

So i read the comments and most of them were giving excuses for losing in the fisrt round. DO YOU THINK UNC, DUKE, WF, NCSU, CLEM, USC would give the same consideration!!! Seriously Jeremy Gunn I want to KNOW why YOU LOST!!! What is your EXPLANATION!!! What are YOU doing to CORRECT the PROBLEM!!! The sorry part is making the NCAA tournment is a great season for us, For chapel hill losing in the first round gets you Fired! IF we want to compete with Chapel Hill We NEED CHAPEL HILL STANDARDS!!! SO JEREMY WHAT IS THE DEAL!!! EXPLAIN!!! WHAT CAN I EXPECT IF YOU MAKE THE NCAA TOURNAMENT!!!

IF ARkansas current 8th team in the Country lost to NC STATE you would HAVE to EXplain yourself…GET TO EXPLAINING BEING FROM ENGLAND THIS SHOULDN’T BE NEW

[quote=“Florida49er2009, post:17, topic:25858”]WHAT CAN I EXPECT IF YOU MAKE THE NCAA TOURNAMENT!!![/quote]You can probably expect him to get a job offer somewhere that pays him a better salary than a teacher.

You can’t put our coaches to the same standard when places like Chapel Hill put more money into their programs and coaches’ salaries. In the end it’s all about money, hence making more money adds more “win now” pressure.