Soccer/Futbol thread ⚽

Never going to happen.

Now, if the powers that be in American soccer had implemented promotion relegation then I think soccer in this country could easily grow to be the number 2 sport, but without Pro Rel it’s just not going to happen.

I can literally remember reading Wikipedia like 15 years ago and finding out that soccer around the world used promotion and relegation and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever heard of. And that’s one big reason I got so into it.

The big dynamic that may shift things in the next 30 years is younger generations just not caring about sports as much in general. Could absolutely shift landscape. The decline in people playing football could also impact how the general public feels about watching the sport.

Is there still a decline in football participation happening? I have not heard anything about that in the last couple of years and thought maybe it had stopped sliding.

“According to data from statista.com, in 2018, 5.16 million people over the age of six participated in tackle football in the U.S. By comparison, there were 8.4 million people playing in that age range in 2006, representing a 48 percent decline in 12 years.“

“ Participation in high school football specifically has also taken a hit, according to 2020 data from The National Federation of High Schools. The organization reports in the 2018-19 season, there were 1.006 million students involved in football. This is a decrease of more than 100,000 over the previous decade.”

https://sportseventsmediagroup.com/is-americas-game-on-the-decline-or-the-rebound/#:~:text=Participation%20in%20high%20school%20football,100%2C000%20over%20the%20previous%20decade.

The not caring about sports thing is real.

The sports love is diffusing amount many different sports as well.

Lacrosse is growing. So is rugby. So is pickeball.

I mean geez I sat up a couple months ago and watched competitive tag and it was pretty freaking cool.

I’m sure football will still be king when I die but 50 years from now who knows.

Wow. That’s a lot.

Let’s hope that it levels out.

I mean part of the reason I stopped watching nfl football was the long term health stuff. I felt dirty cheering a huge a hit. College I can justify as most of these kids aren’t playing for 15 more years.

Throw in the political crap and the insane money it costs to just go to a game and I decided j didn’t need it. Life actually got more enjoyable without it.

I feel you on that. I don’t watch NFL due to it feeling so sterile compared to CFB but I respect the health issue thing.

It SEEMS like college football is growing.

There have been quite a few new teams in the last 20 years and more colleges seem to be exploring it.

Anyone got any stats on that?

I wonder if we are not hearing the stories about programs being shut down.

And back to soccer!

Go USA. Beat Iran!

And Mike Hill we need that SSS announcement yesterday.

3 Likes

clt says MLS should eliminate offsides

The Beautiful Game Football GIF by World Cup

Morocco just scored a 2nd, game clinching goal, in extra time, against Belgium.

Traditional powers struggling mightily in this World Cup.

I think the WC is a way cool event. But I can’t get into Soccer because of the friggin flopping that makes me roll my eyes at least 3 times per match. The US England game was pretty clean but I missed the first part of it.

Soccer guys say I’m full of shit in 3, 2, 1……

1 Like

You are not full of it hootie.

One of my pet peeves as well. I cannot stand the diving and exaggeration of contact.

If you read the literature on this phenomenon the experts say that some cultures think it’s the player being clever and getting one over on the ref and the opponent. It has spread from those cultures.

That is anathema to Americans, who will stop a game for several minutes just to make sure the right call is made. Americans in general also view diving as cheating and a sign of weakness.

That specific issue is one that dogs soccer acceptance in this country.

1 Like

And when great players don’t dive and power through contact while maintaining control of the ball it’s an awesome sight and indicative of the skill and athleticism that these players have.

I’m watching a Canadian player running up and down the field with a freaking tampon hanging halfway out of his nose. String & all.

But yet we tolerate flopping and over reacting to get calls regularly in the NBA and NFL. It aggravates me in soccer but American fans act like we don’t have that stuff in our other sports.

3 Likes

I didn’t know it happened in the NFL. I can tell you in the NBA they are trying to stamp it out and it’s gotten better.

1 Like