Special Board of Trustees conference call on August 14th

My thoughts on the decision:

Lifetime of the University, the stadium or of Jerry ?

In perpetuity.

I get the anger of the financial piece and I get the anger over his actions, but I think the hands were tied legally by the contract. Once agreeing to back out, the BOT would have “potentially” faced an uphill legal battle because of the lack of an opt out clause or any other out clause with exception to tearing the stadium down. They would likely make the case that it hurts the University’s image, but then you have Kidd Brewer Stadium and the Washington Redskins. This was a bad deal made by folks that were in over their heads. I don’t agree nor disagree with the decision to leave the name. At this point it is damage control and the BOT thinks that this is the best course to limit the damage.

Don’t be a pig or use the N word… We can probably just add that sentence to the contract

1 Like

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/08/16/unc-charlotte-to-keep-jerry-richardson-name-on.html

Lifetime of the stadium and any expansions.

Sounds like our hands are tied in this situation…so life goes on.
Go Niners !

1 Like

We probably will add morality clauses in the future.

1 Like

They are seemingly standard for the university but were not part of the Richardson agreement.

Because he’s done more good than bad.

Look, if some of the allegations are true, it’s impossible to defend it without looking like a pig.

But what do we really know right now? We know that an NFL investigation found him guilty of workplace misconduct. There were no legal charges that he was found guilty of.

He’s in his 80s. It’s very possible that he was going to sell the team soon. This just rushed that decision. It’s also very possible he said look, I’ll sell the team, you fine me a penalty that goes to charity, I’m 80, I don’t want to go to trial. If that offer doesn’t seem reasonable, then I intend to take it to court.

But mostly what we don’t know is Richardson’s side of the story in regards to the letters. We’ve seen letters that he supposedly wrote to employees (I’m inclined to believe that he did write the letters). But we haven’t seen or heard if there were letters from the employee to Mr. Richardson.

We did hear from Bob McNair that Richardson’s biggest regret was settling with a Non-disclosure Agreement, rather than fighting it in court. So if he felt he could fight it in court, he might of had evidence to suggest it was a two way communication with the employee. But the NDA was cheaper and quicker than a court case, not to mention less attention.

We simply do not know a lot about the case.

1 Like

We know he agreed to hush money buyouts with at least 3 females and 1 African-American scout.

I know that is NOT a good look. Did he rape/murder some one, not likely. John Schattner getting lit up for saying something on a private conference call, yet Richardson skates free with his name all over our program.

The court of public opinion is a pretty damn big one right now in 2018.

True Norm. However, every action that has been made by him (Since he hasn’t said anything) tends to lean towards guilty. That is the issue. If he spoke up then there would be clarity. However, he hasn’t said anything. He had NDA’s (Public opinion says guilty), SI article (Public opinion says guilty), sells team almost immediately (Public opinion says guilty).

1 Like

Because we are guilty until proven innocent these days…

Does anyone know how much money was paid as "hush money "? I think people with money and exposure would pay someone money and draw up an NDA to minimize the cost of negative press. The court of public opinion would have shown up earlier if he had pursued the first issue in court.

The University does not want to give the money back or burn any friends that are related to that money. Money is the root

Since he refuses to speak on the matter it’s a conviction by abstention. That’s his choice.

I’m going to say many with money aren’t really aligning themselves with Richardson at the moment. It’s a big city, plenty of other folks we can solicit for a more friendly rights agreement.

We also know it is actually fairly common for celebrities to simply agree to pay people off rather than fight it in court (and in public). Unfortunately, this even happens occasionally when the “accused” in not guilty.

Enough data for me to safely think it happened in these cases.