Spiders take down ACC team if football

I just read Duke lost to Richmond, and William and Mary beat UVA this weekend. I don’t want to give hits to an ACC thread @ the Observers website but its pretty funny watching Calton Tudor suggest the ACC schedule only inner conf matchups the first week of the season, so the worst they can do is 6-6. :lmao:

[QUOTE]Not only that, ACC schools wouldn’t have to pretend that their fans are fired up about the opportunity to take on William & Mary, The Citadel, Richmond, Somewhere-Tennessee, Jacksonville State, Northeastern, etc., to start a football season.
The long-ago established truth is that the ACC can’t beat some of those teams and certainly cannot take any of them for granted. Did anyone see those Duke rushing stats in a 24-16 loss against Richmond? Wow, 19 yards on 16 carries. The upside is that Duke coach David Cutcliffe said “don’t put too much into this game.”
It’s pretty obvious Duke’s players didn’t.
But compared with Virginia in its 26-14 loss to William & Mary in Charlottesville, the Blue Devils were the ACC’s answer to the '72 Dolphins.
The Cavaliers went to untold expense to stage a come-one, come-all quarterback camp in the middle of Scott Stadium only to get worked over by a W&M player who could have been recruited and signed for the price of a game ticket.
At the opposite extreme, Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Wake Forest and Maryland get credit for at least trying to beat someone their own size.
All four lost, of course. But there’s little doubt the Hokies and Deacons played well enough to have defeated most other ACC teams. Maryland lost by about 40 at California but at least racked up more frequent-flyer miles than was the case last season in a loss at Middle Tennessee.
[/QUOTE]

in their defense, not many people expected Duke and UVa to do anything this year- most people thought those games could go either way

in their defense, not many people expected Duke and UVa to do anything this year- most people thought those games could go either way
Is that really in their defense? Isn't that even worse that a "BCS" football program is not expected to beat a lower division team? I would think it'd be better if this was considered a fluke win.

So this means that when other ACC teams beat them, it doesn’t really count toward the required win total to go to a bowl, right?

I think that this is true for most conferences that there are going to be some bottom feeders- I mean look at how Vandy was for the SEC; Syracuse in the Big East; Michigan and Indiana in the Big Ten; Washington and Washington State in the Pac-10; The SEC is really one of the few conferences that is fairly strong from top to bottom- the ACC sent 10 teams to bowls last year, which is pretty impressive no matter how you spin it- the worst thing is that they have no powerhouse, VT is the closest they have

with that said- the 6-6 comment is pretty funny

Again, I say:

Combine FCS and FBS. These FCS schools have proven that they can compete. Division 1 football right now is a joke, with it’s ‘divisions’ and ‘bowls’ and all that jazz.

In every other sport, every team has an equal opportunity by rule at the beginning of the season to compete for a national title. Football, not so much.

Every time an FCS school beats an FBS school, the NCAA cringes for it’s decision to divide football.

[QUOTE=thelew1014;429521]Again, I say:

Combine FCS and FBS. These FCS schools have proven that they can compete. Division 1 football right now is a joke, with it’s ‘divisions’ and ‘bowls’ and all that jazz.

In every other sport, every team has an equal opportunity by rule at the beginning of the season to compete for a national title. Football, not so much.

Every time an FCS school beats an FBS school, the NCAA cringes for it’s decision to divide football.[/QUOTE]

These were the first wins by a FCS team over a BCS auto qualifier since app st beat michigan in 07. Thats ridiculous to think they can compete since Duke/UVA can’t even compete. I think there are too many teams in Div 1-A basketball anyway.

[QUOTE=shagg49er;429522]These were the first wins by a FCS team over a BCS auto qualifier since app st beat michigan in 07. Thats ridiculous to think they can compete since Duke/UVA can’t even compete. I think there are too many teams in Div 1-A basketball anyway.[/QUOTE]

As of right now, the only time FBS and FCS mix it up is when an FBS team wants to schedule a ‘cupcake’ team. When the majority of games are between the upper echelon of FBS and the middle of the road (or worse) of FCS, of course you will find these results.

However, IMO the biggest shock (to most, I am not in the least bit surprised) of this weekend was #22 Iowa having to block [I]two[/I] field goals to hang on against lowly FCS opponent Northern Iowa.

Of course Florida is going to beat up on Charleston Southern. But time and time again, it is being shown that the top tier of FCS can compete with even the top tier of FBS. Why not let them?

But time and time again, it is being shown that the top tier of FCS can compete with even the top tier of FBS. Why not let them?

When has this been shown on a consistent basis? I’ll agree top tier FCS teams can compete at times with mediocre programs (App vs. Michigan), but to say top tier FCS teams can compete against top tier FBS teams is laughable. Didn’t App get spanked last year by LSU?

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;429526]When has this been shown on a consistent basis? I’ll agree top tier FCS teams can compete at times with mediocre programs (App vs. Michigan), but to say top tier FCS teams can compete against top tier FBS teams is laughable. Didn’t App get spanked last year by LSU?[/QUOTE]

I seem to remember the game being much closer than the score indicated, but I may be wrong.

Either way, to me the thought of having two national champions in the same division to be laughable… especially when you consider the fact that one of which is the national champion of an ‘inferior’ division. It’s like a damned consolation prize.

I don’t understand the point of I-A vs. I-AA. It continually subjugates (is that the right word) half of D-I football to an inferior role. Sorry for not wanting my school to be inferior.

[QUOTE=NewNiner;429508]in their defense, not many people expected Duke and UVa to do anything this year- most people thought those games could go either way[/QUOTE]

Duke, maybe, since UR already beat them a couple years ago and it’s Duke.

UVA, not really. Groh getting an earful after the game.

[QUOTE=thelew1014;429530]I seem to remember the game being much closer than the score indicated, but I may be wrong.
[/QUOTE]
It was 31-0 at half time.

Al Groh will be the first coaching casualty of this season.

I am most certainly not an App fan but App could probably take down half the teams in the ACC this year, they need to do whatever it takes to get them into FBS. I would have more respect for them then.

I think that this is true for most conferences that there are going to be some bottom feeders- I mean look at how Vandy was for the SEC; Syracuse in the Big East; Michigan and Indiana in the Big Ten; Washington and Washington State in the Pac-10; The SEC is really one of the few conferences that is fairly strong from top to bottom- the ACC sent 10 teams to bowls last year, which is pretty impressive no matter how you spin it- the worst thing is that they have no powerhouse, VT is the closest they have with that said- the 6-6 comment is pretty funny

Most conferences do have their bottom feeders but those teams are all better than Duke and UVA. With that being said, I do not think it is impressive that the ACC sent 10 teams to bowl games last year. I think that there are too many bowl games and although I am all for the free market the over saturation of advertising really gets on my nerves. I mean, we have the Papajohns.com bowl… really??? Fifty years from now nobody is going to be talking about the epic Papajohns.com battle between NC State and Rutgers or whoever ends up playing this year. Even having the chick-fil-a kick off whatever game at the beginning of the season, I can see why other cultures think that we are obsessed with money and materialism.

Of course Florida is going to beat up on Charleston Southern.
I think that, while Florida should have the right to schedule whoever they want, that was totally unsportsmanlike to schedule Charleston Southern. Yes, they are giving a ton of money to that school, but you only have 12 season games and I see this as buying a win. The same goes with UNC the Lesser playing the Citadel. I hate their arrogance, the same kind that persists in basketball.

[QUOTE=punkrockcowboy;429538]
I think that, while Florida should have the right to schedule whoever they want, that was totally unsportsmanlike to schedule Charleston Southern. Yes, they are giving a ton of money to that school, but you only have 12 season games and I see this as buying a win. The same goes with UNC the Lesser playing the Citadel. I hate their arrogance, the same kind that persists in basketball.[/QUOTE]

There is no “exhibition” or “preseason” in college football like there is in the NFL. There is also no “playoff” like their is in college basketball.

Every game is regular season, week 1 is the first round of the playoffs for teams like Florida. These games are scheduled years in advance. When you are a team like Florida you never know if you are going to lose half your starting defense due to graduation/draft/injury. You don’t want to be working kinks out against a CUSA team. You also want a team that will allow you to play your second string QB quite a bit of snaps if Tebow goes down later in the season.

I wouldn’t call it arrogance when Charleston Southern gladly took the paycheck. They’ll use that money to upgrade uniforms/facilities to compete against their conference foes for future recruits.

Look for Elon to take down Wake in two weeks. These FCS schools really get “up” for the FBS games. Truth is that most of the starters on these teams have the talent to play in FBS.

I am most certainly not an App fan but App could probably take down half the teams in the ACC this year, they need to do whatever it takes to get them into FBS. I would have more respect for them then.

Well considering that one of the years that App won the national championship they lost to NC State pretty handily who went 3-9; you guys are trying to make a generalization about a population based on a few extreme examples

Well considering that one of the years that App won the national championship they lost to NC State pretty handily who went 3-9; you guys are trying to make a generalization about a population based on a few extreme examples

True, but some of you are forgetting that if 1A and 1AA (I still call them that) were combined, those strong 1AA schools would be able to recruit better players. Lets face it, many kids would rather go to a low 1A right now, than a top 1AA school just because its an ego thing. That advantage for the Dukes and Virginias would be gone. The Woffords and Ap States would almost certainly get even stronger.

I personally expected Richmond to defeat Duke. They are after all, the national champions in their “inferior” division and Duke football is… well, Duke football.

[QUOTE=mineshaft;429547]Look for Elon to take down Wake in two weeks. These FCS schools really get “up” for the FBS games. Truth is that most of the starters on these teams have the talent to play in FBS.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of “truth” http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp Just for mineshaft

ACC football…its terrible. Really.

[QUOTE=Iron9er;429561]ACC football…its terrible. Really.[/QUOTE]

ECU could, quite literally, be the best program in the state. If we move quickly to FBS there is no reason in the current conditions why we couldn’t become the best program in the state in 20 years.