Spoke with an Anti-Football alumn today....

living on or just off campus is another connection to the school in itself. if you commute to campus, you're likely not going to be on campus late nights to meet people and party either, nor are you going to meet any people besides in class..that's not the right college environment if you ask me. that doesnt mean it always happens, but it is the majority of the time...believe me. most of those chapel hill shirts come right out of the parking decks. walk to a commuter parking lot and look at the stickers on all the cars. you'll be done arguing.

Like I said earlier, I completely agree that living on campus provides a different ā€œfeelā€ to college life. I just dont agree that commuters are the students who stuff UNCCH shirts in their book bag to wear after class.

Your experience with commuters has been greatly different from my experience with commuters.

Like I said earlier, I completely agree that living on campus provides a different "feel" to college life. I just dont agree that commuters are the students who stuff UNCCH shirts in their book bag to wear after class.

Your experience with commuters has been greatly different from my experience with commuters.

I go here, and see hundreds of them daily. The majority of people who are oriented with other universities over Charlotte are those who donā€™t live really close and therefore donā€™t feel as much of a tie to the university or the people here.

Were does this line of thinking come from? Is this just an assertion on your part, or do you have some sort of evidence that this is true. My experience with commuters has been the complete opposite from this statement.

I will grant you that living on campus provides a student with increased opprotunities to develop a bond with your school, but to say that commuters dont mature into ā€œrealā€ Niner fans seems silly.

it comes from 4.5 years of being a student at UNCC (living at campus) and 12 years as an alumni. I guess its an assertion, but its a damn accurate one.

Whether you believe it or not, a higher % of true loyal Niner fans come from those who had a campus experience. Commuters are far less likely to stay engaged long term with the school. Its not even up for debate.

[QUOTE=metro;262521]
Whether you believe it or not, a higher % of true loyal Niner fans come from those who had a campus experience. Commuters are far less likely to stay engaged long term with the school. Its not even up for debate.[/QUOTE]

Thatā€™s true for any school, not just Charlotte.

If you take classes online at U. of Phoenix, youā€™re not going to advocate U. of Phoenix getting sports teams.
If you go Uptown for Duke, Wake, Gardner-Webb, USC Grad Schools, you donā€™t care about their sports, either.

That's true for any school, not just Charlotte.

yeahā€¦thatā€™s what makes it non-arguable. it is true for all schoolsā€¦here is no exception.

it comes from 4.5 years of being a student at UNCC (living at campus) and 12 years as an alumni. I guess its an assertion, but its a damn accurate one.

Whether you believe it or not, a higher % of true loyal Niner fans come from those who had a campus experience. Commuters are far less likely to stay engaged long term with the school. Its not even up for debate.

I guess I just had an issue with the way you worded itā€¦like all commuters are second rate fans or something. I never lived on campus. Lived with a roommate for a few years, then moved in with my soon to be wife (living in sin FTW!!!). Every commuter I came in contact with had a positive association with the school. I just never met a commuter who was a ā€œcloset acc fanā€

No, I will not argue that living on campus givesyou a different feel for college life. There is no doubt about that.

The real issue isā€¦why does charlotte have such a hard time capturing more ā€œloyal Niner fansā€ ? Iā€™ve been going to games long enough to know that the student support for games has been piss poor. Commuter on no commuter. Students have, for whatever reason, chose not to support the team like you would hope. If Halton didnt have Huggy, Calamari, Pitino or Aiken in the building, the students stayed home.

Iā€™ve got to say Iā€™m sort of with Cass on this one and am a little offended by some of the commuter-bashing . I think it is probably true that a lower % of commuters become ā€œengagedā€ in campus activities (and thus supportive of our teams), but I probably disagree on how great that disparity is. I commuted for 4 years (mostly from Union County) and worked all the way through college, but I still became a die-hard 9er (actually Iā€™ve been a 49er fan since I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s) even though I had NO connection to the school until I decided to go there in 1987 instead of Ap State. I have gone to the vast majority of games since 1987, including all but literally 3-4 games ever played in Halton. I can guarantee you that puts me in the top 2-3% of alumni ā€œfansā€, regardless whether they lived on campus or not.

:49ers:

As a former commuter I also am offended.

it may be offensive but itā€™s the truthā€¦itā€™s nothing personal just because youre a commuterā€¦of course there ARE diehard commuter fansā€¦thats like us all being mad because attendance in halton isnt always sold out. people arenā€™t goingā€¦but ā€¦ itā€™s not usā€¦weā€™re always there. iā€™m not accusing you of not goingā€¦but that doesnt mean people are goingā€¦hope that analogy isnt as confusing as it sounds reading back to myself. anywayā€¦

As a former commuter I also am offended.

donā€™t be offended, you are a rarity. I am glad a few of you exist. But I know for a fact all my friends in the college days that commuted still donā€™t bleed green and were/are more likely fans of unc, st, etc. Its just a fact that if you lived w/ mom and dad, odds are you never bonded with the school.

[QUOTE=metro;262590]But I know for a fact all my friends in the college days that commuted still donā€™t bleed green and were/are more likely fans of unc, st, etc. Its just a fact that if you lived w/ mom and dad, odds are you never bonded with the school.[/QUOTE]
Maybe you are the exception then. Iā€™ll agree that a fewer percentage of commuters become avid fans than on-campus students (and has been stated, thatā€™s true for ALL schools), but most graduates Iā€™ve known that were commuters were still bigger Niner fans than tarhole or wolfpack or duke fans.

WAIT!!! Maybe youā€™re correctā€¦ since they lived in Charlotte, they were forced to read all about
Charlotteā€™s real team in chapel hill all the damn time.

[QUOTE=919R;262538](actually Iā€™ve been a 49er fan since I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s) even though I had NO connection to the school.

:49ers:[/QUOTE]

Some on here seem to have a problem when people pull for a team and have no connection with it. Even though Iā€™m sure they would love for them to be Niner fans.

don't be offended, you are a rarity. I am glad a few of you exist. But I know for a fact all my friends in the college days that commuted still don't bleed green and were/are more likely fans of unc, st, etc. Its just a fact that if you lived w/ mom and dad, odds are you never bonded with the school.

To be honest, of the few people that I still know about from school when I was there, none of the people that lived there hae anything to do with the school anymore. Thatā€™s about 7 people. And the few commuters I knew, me, Chevee are all still active. Soā€¦ thatā€™s what I see from my seat.

[QUOTE=Ninerballin;262621]Some on here seem to have a problem when people pull for a team and have no connection with it. Even though Iā€™m sure they would love for them to be Niner fans.[/QUOTE]

I do have a problem with that! If a graduate of Chapel Hill was a Niner fan I would think why??? I just donā€™t get why people care about a team that they have no connection with. I can understand growing up and being a fan of Chapel Hill because your dad went there, or the ATL Braves because we donā€™t have MLB in town. I would HOPE though that the minute you have a team to call your own, be it college or pro, that your loyalty shifts to the team that is connected to you.

I could understand supporting a local team. I canā€™t really find a team in this area worth supporting, maybe NCCU, but if I were to move to say New Mexico, I might find a local school there to support.

But I would only be a fan of Charlotte.

USA = Land of the offended. :biggrin:

USA = Land of the offended. :biggrin:
As an American, I demand an apology!