Spoke with an Anti-Football alumn today....

[QUOTE=WBNiner;261750] Overall the O’s coverage is probably slightly better than what they provide. [/QUOTE]

Guess Utter needs to go, then. If we spend $20,000 a year to cover you and they spend zero, yet our coverage is only slightly better, it’s gotta be about him …

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;261756]Guess Utter needs to go, then. If we spend $20,000 a year to cover you and they spend zero, yet our coverage is only slightly better, it’s gotta be about him …[/QUOTE]

The coverage that Utter provides is fantastic, its the willingness of the O to let him do more is what agravates us. The quality of the coverage from Utter is well above what the Gazzette give us. We would just like to see more… and to tone the ACC hype machine down just a notch. The Gazzette gave us billing ahead of Chapel Hill and Duke and it didn’t kill them.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;261746]Normmm, we just disagree over whether it’s my fault your base isn’t broader. I think it’s on Bobby and the basketball team to broaden the base by getting over the hump… (then mentions) Wake Forest. .[/QUOTE]
Are you saying being ranked around 16th in the nation was not over the hump? What about another year when we were tied for 1st in a conference projected to send possibly 6 teams to the NCAA?

During that “era”, you still relegated the Niners to Page 8 while smearing the front page with some acc teams that were horrible during those years.

You mentioned Wake football, but I can promise Wake football was never perceived to be of no interest by the Winston-Salem Journal.

No one ever asked you to “promote” us. The only thing WE NINERS have ever asked for was FAIR COVERAGE.

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;261763]During that “era”, you still relegated the Niners to Page 8 while smearing the front page with some acc teams that were horrible during those years.

[/QUOTE]

Isn’t revisionist history a wonderful thing? That’s simply not true.

I'm not saying to exclude commuters Mike. If you look up you will se that I myself was a commuter student. The problem I am reffering to is the superlative of "Commuter school" that Charlotte has held for some time and carried through. Students now claim that Charlotte is a commuter school still but don't understand that it isn't near that which it was through the 90's.

Truth. I live right next to campus. I walk. I guess its called commuting. Its actuaslly closer for me to walk to some of my classes then the people in the High Rises. But I wouldnt consider myself a commuter student. I see commuter student as one who drives 15 mins or something. Were not a commuter school, yet we still reffered to as one becaus of the people who all live off campus.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;261767]Isn’t revisionist history a wonderful thing? That’s simply not true.[/QUOTE]

We were still stuck behind the ACC schools and that is not revisionist history. You have said it yourself… that is what sells papers and that is what you all do.

All the non-alums are like, “when are y’all getting football.” “y’all need football.” “what is the status of football.” “why does it take 5 years?” “2012 is a long time from now.”

[QUOTE=WBNiner;261762]The coverage that Utter provides is fantastic, its the willingness of the O to let him do more is what agravates us. The quality of the coverage from Utter is well above what the Gazzette give us. We would just like to see more… and to tone the ACC hype machine down just a notch. The Gazzette gave us billing ahead of Chapel Hill and Duke and it didn’t kill them.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.[/QUOTE]

We are lucky to get mention in any paper other then the O. I’m from Gastonia and there is vertually no coverage of us at all, sports or otherwise. We need to expand our base to the outlying counties when we get football our we will have major problems down the road.

Maryland & UCLA have BCS Football & Basketball, & in the '70’s were considered “commuter schools.”

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;261746]Normmm, we just disagree over whether it’s my fault your base isn’t broader. I think it’s on Bobby and the basketball team to broaden the base by getting over the hump. They’ve been close a couple of times. A Sweet 16 trip would help. Look where the Orange Bowl trip got Wake Forest. Of course, then you have to maintain, like Wake did last night.[/QUOTE]

Mike,
Didn’t mean for this to be another bash the Observer thread. I just found your comment interesting that we need to broaden our base and I wanted to point out that’s why we sometimes give you a hard time, because we definitely agree that we need to broaden our base. The key for me is that I believe the Observer is the best place to broaden that base.

For what it’s worth I do think the university has dropped the ball with marketing the school to the public and branding.

As far as what coverage the Niners receive, I don’t have to go back to Cincy. I can go back just a couple of weeks ago where I pointed it out on here. After the 49ers get their first #1 national ranking in any sport ever, Charlotte.com has a picture of Butch Davis and a rhetorical story about his season on the front page of the website. Yes, I know you have no control over the website, but unfortunately to the general public Charlotte.com and the Charlotte Ob are seen as one. Before that, when the niners won the A10 baseball championship, there was a photo of the UNC-CH baseball team celebrating near/overshadowing the Charlotte story. And, a picture of UNC-CH baseball on the front page of Charlotte.com without a picture of the 49ers. Finally, after the Panthers get their a**es kicked by the buccaners, they get a front page story of the entire paper by the Observer. These 4 examples are just over the past few months.

Jim Utter only makes $20,000/year? Ouch.

For the record… I have NO COMPLAINTS about the Observer’s coverage of our persuit of a football program

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;261790]For the record… I have NO COMPLAINTS about the Observer’s coverage of our persuit of a football program[/QUOTE]

I do agree they have done a good job covering that topic. Utter has been outstanding with the quality of his work as well.

[QUOTE=Mike_Persinger;261767]Isn’t revisionist history a wonderful thing?[/QUOTE]
are you referring to when you threatened to SUE some of us because we criticized you for the following:

1. not doing pre-game articles on ANY of our games (even the televised games) while doing front-page articles on acc games?

2. throwing our post game articles on page 14 all by ourselves after 3 pages of car adds?

Sounds like a Commuter Student to me. Probably lived at home with mom and dad, drove to school each day and hung out with high school kids all through college. He's probably still ticked at the university for the inconvenient commuter parking.

lol, you beat me to it

And what does that have to do with football? Are you going at a school connection angle? I lived at my parents house 3 of the 4 years I was in school, but I was on campus from 8 AM to 10 PM. And I saved money through school to donate more now. :biggrin:

are you serious? Most commuters still wear their baby blue pajamas to bed, while the kids who live at campus are who mature into real Niner fans. I’d wager the demographics support that commuters are more likely anti football and less proud to be a Niner or have any emotional connection to the school.

you are a rare breed if you live at home and turned out to be a legit Niner fan. They are few and far between.

are you serious? Most commuters still wear their baby blue pajamas to bed, while the kids who live at campus are who mature into real Niner fans. I'd wager the demographics support that commuters are more likely anti football and less proud to be a Niner or have any emotional connection to the school.

you are a rare breed if you live at home and turned out to be a legit Niner fan. They are few and far between.

QFT. I would be willing to bet there’s about 15% of our commuters that actually think we’re Chapel Hill. The rest just pretend.

are you serious? Most commuters still wear their baby blue pajamas to bed, while the kids who live at campus are who mature into real Niner fans. I'd wager the demographics support that commuters are more likely anti football and less proud to be a Niner or have any emotional connection to the school.

Were does this line of thinking come from? Is this just an assertion on your part, or do you have some sort of evidence that this is true. My experience with commuters has been the complete opposite from this statement.

I will grant you that living on campus provides a student with increased opprotunities to develop a bond with your school, but to say that commuters dont mature into “real” Niner fans seems silly.

I think commuters are more likely to be anti-football, but not because of being Chapel Hill fans or anything like that. IMO not all, but most commuters stay at home for money reasons and find them selves working jobs to help pay for school. This significantly impacts their ability to participate on activites on campus. At that point school is just school and they are looking for one thing, a diploma. The chance of a football team just means that diploma gets more expensive. Sure some may be Chapel Hill or state fans and some might be just biding their time to transfer to another school, but I think most are just indifferent to what football would bring us and just see it as another cost. I know there are students and alumni out there that have become huge Niners fan after being commuter students, I just think they are few and far between.

Were does this line of thinking come from? Is this just an assertion on your part, or do you have some sort of evidence that this is true. My experience with commuters has been the complete opposite from this statement.

I will grant you that living on campus provides a student with increased opprotunities to develop a bond with your school, but to say that commuters dont mature into “real” Niner fans seems silly.

living on or just off campus is another connection to the school in itself. if you commute to campus, you’re likely not going to be on campus late nights to meet people and party either, nor are you going to meet any people besides in class…that’s not the right college environment if you ask me. that doesnt mean it always happens, but it is the majority of the time…believe me. most of those chapel hill shirts come right out of the parking decks. walk to a commuter parking lot and look at the stickers on all the cars. you’ll be done arguing.