Stamats Results

Good find. I even saw my response in the Alumni one. They added “[UNC]” in front of where I reffered to the school as “Charlotte.” :ticked: I think they get the idea though. I keep wandering if they really want those on a public platform. I would think that they meant to make those private…:ponder:

if anyone has NOT yet done so, we need to save these PPTs. Eventually this google group will be made private, or I would be shocked.

if anyone has NOT yet done so, we need to save these PPTs. Eventually this google group will be made private, or I would be shocked.

did it saturday, with that thought in mind.

[QUOTE=survivor45;244766]I like this one, too:

[B][U]Study of Business Leaders - UNC Charlotte[/U][/B]
http://groups.google.com/group/49erSGA/web/UNC%20Charlotte%20Business%20Leaders%20Results.ppt

[U]Demographics[/U]

2 chairman/CEO, 2 presidents, 4 vice presidents, 3 directors, 2 attorneys, 1 manager, 1 representative, 8 unknown

[U]What could UNC Charlotte do to better serve you in the future?[/U]

“Very little, it’s 100+ miles from me, others are closer” (Where exactly were they looking for area business leaders?)

[U]UNC Charlotte’s Greatest Weaknesses - verbatim responses[/U]

“Doesn’t connect to the city, they don’t promote themselves enough.”
“Doesn’t promote its positive reputation; seems to complain that it’s not recognized instead of telling its own story.”
“Image: part of UNC Chapel Hill, and no football program.”
“It’s on Chapel Hill.”
“Lack of community support.”
“Lack of doctorate program.”
“Lack of visibility.”
“Location, not close enough to larger areas.”
“Needs to become more involved with Charlotte community.”
“Not enough support from the legislature.”
“Not having football.”
“Not well known in Charlotte-hidden gem. Location may be a fact in that lack of awareness.”
“Perceived as somewhat of a community or regional college.”
“Perception.”
“Still seen as a local college.”

[U]Conclusions[/U]

"The majority of business leaders surveyed have a high level of familiarity with UNC Charlotte.

Conclusion: Everyone on the planet knows that a name change (and football) is necessary but the university doesn’t want to hear it and Stamats doesn’t want to say it.[/QUOTE]

It appears Stamats didn’t frame it that way… they let the responses frame it.

Although some of these are pretty laughable - and I am wondering if they are coming from the aforementioned demographics:
“Doesn’t connect to the city, they don’t promote themselves enough.” - classic example of “playing the blame game”… Might as well have said “It is not the city’s responsibility to promote the largest university in the Charlotte region.” (Most likely a response from one of those in the demographics set who went to some other University.) While I will agree that it is not necessarily the City’s responsibility, it most certainly would help the city.

“Image: part of UNC Chapel Hill…” Well… not really there nostradumba$$… we are part of the University of North Carolina system… as are the other 15 Universities in the system. See www.northcarolina.edu for further clarification.

“Lack of doctorate program.” Ummm… try these on for size maybe – Ph.D. in Business Administration, Information Technology, Organizational Science… not the most exhaustive list, but doctorate programs none-the-less.

“Location, not close enough to larger areas.” – The area known as University City is the largest “neighborhood” of the largest city in NC and SC… so can you please eloborate on how it is not close enough to larger areas?

If those are coming from “2 chairman/CEO, 2 presidents, 4 vice presidents, 3 directors, 2 attorneys, 1 manager, 1 representative, 8 unknown”… for education’s sake, let’s hope those came from the “8 unknowns” and not the other educated individuals represented.

[QUOTE=jdm49er;244999]It appears Stamats didn’t frame it that way… they let the responses frame it.

Although some of these are pretty laughable - and I am wondering if they are coming from the aforementioned demographics:
“Doesn’t connect to the city, they don’t promote themselves enough.” - classic example of “playing the blame game”… Might as well have said “It is not the city’s responsibility to promote the largest university in the Charlotte region.” (Most likely a response from one of those in the demographics set who went to some other University.) While I will agree that it is not necessarily the City’s responsibility, it most certainly would help the city.

“Image: part of UNC Chapel Hill…” Well… not really there nostradumba$$… we are part of the University of North Carolina system… as are the other 15 Universities in the system. See www.northcarolina.edu for further clarification.

“Lack of doctorate program.” Ummm… try these on for size maybe – Ph.D. in Business Administration, Information Technology, Organizational Science… not the most exhaustive list, but doctorate programs none-the-less.

“Location, not close enough to larger areas.” – The area known as University City is the largest “neighborhood” of the largest city in NC and SC… so can you please eloborate on how it is not close enough to larger areas?

If those are coming from “2 chairman/CEO, 2 presidents, 4 vice presidents, 3 directors, 2 attorneys, 1 manager, 1 representative, 8 unknown”… for education’s sake, let’s hope those came from the “8 unknowns” and not the other educated individuals represented.[/QUOTE]

jdm -

It’s not laughable at all. Stamats is pointing out the [I]perception[/I] that people have of the school, not the realities. The views of the area business leaders is shared with the university staff, students, and alumni (and in many cases it’s much worse). I can only imagine how the average person -who has no affiliation whatsoever with the university- feels about us.

The reality is that Charlotte is a very good university.
The perception is that we are a very inferior university.

The question becomes “Why?” It appears that a major reason that each Stamats group has voiced is that the school CHOOSES to place itself in a group of schools such as “The Univesity of Alabama at Tuscaloosa”, "The Univeristy of Maryland at Eastern Shore, “The University of Missouri at Kansas City”, “The University of North Carolina at Asheville (or Pembroke)”, etc. The layman is going to assume that such a university has certain qualities: (1) it prefers to affiliate itself with the land-grant ‘flagship’ university and distances itself from the community or (more commonly) it is a low-brow satellite campus of said flagship and (2) it lacks doctorate programs or a quality education in general.

I seriously doubt that the same results would occur amongst the business leaders, alumni, staff, and students of universities such as “The University of Louisville” or “The University of Cincinnati” or “The University of Memphis” or “The University of Pittsburgh”, etc. The business leaders, faculty, alumni, students and community generally believe that those universities are quality universities (whether it’s actually proven true or not is irrelevant)

Unfortunately, the current university chancellor is such an advocate of the university system that he will most likely turn a blind eye to this issue. I wonder how many faculty lay-offs and Chapel Hill medical schools need to occur before the chancellor decide to become an advocate for US instead.

if im not mistaken we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 19 phd programs? I know we have a few of them in engineering for a fact.

Yes, it is a fact we have a PHD program electrical engineering.

Ok, it’s official. The Stamat’s Study has pretty much revealed what most of us already knew.

Now, let’s see if we get our money’s worth from the survey. In other words, let’s see what steps are taken to alleviate these issues.

Trust me on this one, Dubois was told to spend $250,000 of UNC Charlotte cash on this study. In return, top dog Bowles will see that the necessary money (substantial dollars) for marketing, visibility and additional buildings and programs will be provided in the next couple of years.

The marketing that UNC Pembroke and Western Carolina have done is evidence of what will be done. FYI, there is a UNCP billboard on I-85 near Concord, right in the front door of our campus.

[QUOTE=HP49er;245022]Trust me on this one, Dubois was told to spend $250,000 of UNC Charlotte cash on this study. In return, top dog Bowles will see that the necessary money (substantial dollars) for marketing, visibility and additional buildings and programs will be provided in the next couple of years.

The marketing that UNC Pembroke and Western Carolina have done is evidence of what will be done. FYI, there is a UNCP billboard on I-85 near Concord, right in the front door of our campus.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Like I said:

[QUOTE]This will lead to a major marketing/PR campaign for the University and hopefully also a football team. The name won’t be changed, but UNC CHARLOTTE (not UNCC or UNCCharlotte) and all the great things it has to offer will be marketed and promoted throughout Charlotte and the state. This is just the beginning. Studies like this justify spending, including getting some state system money to help our cause.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Over40NINER;245021]Ok, it’s official. The Stamat’s Study has pretty much revealed what most of us already knew.

Now, let’s see if we get our money’s worth from the survey. In other words, let’s see what steps are taken to alleviate these issues.[/QUOTE]
Yes, however it reflects “what we already knew” because we told them. I’m just glad that we consitute the saturated portion of students and alumn.

[QUOTE=HP49er;245022]Trust me on this one, Dubois was told to spend $250,000 of UNC Charlotte cash on this study. In return, top dog Bowles will see that the necessary money (substantial dollars) for marketing, visibility and additional buildings and programs will be provided in the next couple of years. [/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, that is the way gov’t spending goes. Sometimes you have to spend a quarter to prove you need 5 dollars.

I look forward to the revaltaion of the changes that come of this study.

This says it all right here…

"Satisfaction among alumni is alarmingly low with only 20% being very satisfied"

“UNC Charlotte suffers from a lack of identity/awareness, which was the most often cited responses from Business Leaders regarding the weakness of the institution.”

These are findings from the business and alumni sections of the study, two great ways to tap the pockets of charlotte. UNC Charlotte does a piss poor job at both, and its because we have no identity.

I know a name change is unlikely, but I dont see how you cant at least consider it after reading this survey. Football and a name change are the 2 biggest ways to improve the schools reputation and school spirit. I will hate to see what the alumni sastisfaction rate will be if neither are pursued.

[QUOTE=HP49er;245022]Trust me on this one, Dubois was told to spend $250,000 of UNC Charlotte cash on this study. In return, top dog Bowles will see that the necessary money (substantial dollars) for marketing, visibility and additional buildings and programs will be provided in the next couple of years.

The marketing that UNC Pembroke and Western Carolina have done is evidence of what will be done. FYI, there is a UNCP billboard on I-85 near Concord, right in the front door of our campus.[/QUOTE]

I’ve seen more UNC Pembroke billboards in Charlotte than UNC Charlotte ones.

[QUOTE=survivor45;245010]jdm -

It’s not laughable at all. Stamats is pointing out the [I]perception[/I] that people have of the school, not the realities. The views of the area business leaders is shared with the university staff, students, and alumni (and in many cases it’s much worse). I can only imagine how the average person -who has no affiliation whatsoever with the university- feels about us.

The reality is that Charlotte is a very good university.
The perception is that we are a very inferior university.

The question becomes “Why?” It appears that a major reason that each Stamats group has voiced is that the school CHOOSES to place itself in a group of schools such as “The Univesity of Alabama at Tuscaloosa”, "The Univeristy of Maryland at Eastern Shore, “The University of Missouri at Kansas City”, “The University of North Carolina at Asheville (or Pembroke)”, etc. The layman is going to assume that such a university has certain qualities: (1) it prefers to affiliate itself with the land-grant ‘flagship’ university and distances itself from the community or (more commonly) it is a low-brow satellite campus of said flagship and (2) it lacks doctorate programs or a quality education in general.

I seriously doubt that the same results would occur amongst the business leaders, alumni, staff, and students of universities such as “The University of Louisville” or “The University of Cincinnati” or “The University of Memphis” or “The University of Pittsburgh”, etc. The business leaders, faculty, alumni, students and community generally believe that those universities are quality universities (whether it’s actually proven true or not is irrelevant)

Unfortunately, the current university chancellor is such an advocate of the university system that he will most likely turn a blind eye to this issue. I wonder how many faculty lay-offs and Chapel Hill medical schools need to occur before the chancellor decide to become an advocate for US instead.[/QUOTE]

Bingo! Bingo! Bingo! Survivor, you could not be more correct! I agree with everything with one exception. Dr. Dubois being an advocate of the UNC system is a good thing and we have a rightful place in it. (Actually, I think you probably meant that as well). However, in our relationship with the UNC system, it should not appear to be mandated that the name of our university have UNC in it for us to be a legitimate member of the system. This does not apply to many of the other member institutions.

I spoke with Dr. Dubois on two occasions last year about this subject and his response to my proposal of a name change was at the very least disheartening and disappointing. He mentioned that the current name allowed us to be more attractive when hiring faculty because it portrays that we are part of the strong and well respected University of North Carolina system (although my thought process conjured thoughts that he meant Chapel Hill). Hum, this doesn’t seem to bother NCSU or ASU, for instance, as far as I can tell. Perhaps the ‘S’ reminds their potential faculty of the UNC system. If we changed our name to the University of Charlotte and it was public knowledge that UC was in the system, shouldn’t an educated candidate for professor be able to figure that out. If he or she can’t, I sure wouldn’t want him or her working for our university.

Seriously, Dr. Dubois’ response made me want to shout, “Grow up (the university, not Dr. Dubois), for goodness sake, and lets stand on our own two feet. Lets justify our own reputation.” However, I remained polite and just smiled (although it probably looked very strained). In my opinion, there are many more compelling reasons for a name change than the reason he gave me for remaining UNC Charlotte. In parting words on the subject, he did say that he was “not ready to give up the name of our university just yet.” Take it for what its worth. I took the word “yet” to be an encouraging indication maybe in the right direction.

Survivor, you used a key word in your discussion and that is “choose.” To a large degree, we do have control over what public posture we take. We simply need to make the right choices (such as a name change) to improve our situation. If we do not make what I believe to be obvious choices, I am afraid we will be having this discussion again 20 years from now. If we take the Stamats study and merely create a tag line and spend a lot of money on advertising, we will be putting lipstick on a pig and not getting to the root of the problem.

The administration of our university needs to dig much deeper into what the Stamats study is telling us. Look, I am 125 miles away from campus (in the Triangle) and my perception could be clearer than those in Charlotte (at least a different perspective anyway). I would suggest to you that maybe the administration “can’t see the forest for the trees!”

I spoke with Dr. Dubois on two occasions last year about this subject and his response to my proposal of a name change was at the very least disheartening and disappointing. He mentioned that the current name allowed us to be more attractive when hiring faculty because it portrays that we are part of the strong and well respected University of North Carolina system (although my thought process conjured thoughts that he meant Chapel Hill). Hum, this doesn't seem to bother NCSU or ASU, for instance, as far as I can tell. Perhaps the 'S' reminds their potential faculty of the UNC system. If we changed our name to the University of Charlotte and it was public knowledge that UC was in the system, shouldn't an educated candidate for professor be able to figure that out. If he or she can't, I sure wouldn't want him or her working for our university.
All I can say is damn skippy!

Oh, and survivor was right on the money as well.

All of this has been said before.

You know it would be great to NOT have to oppose the opinions of our chancellor for a change… on football and name change. It happened with Woodward as well. Dubois is better than Woodward, but we still have a long way to go.

Dubois has a REAL mess on his hands by sticking with his position of not changing the name (institutions change names to better identify themselves… it’s not uncommon). And, it’s only going to get worse for him. If he looks at these results from Stamats and still thinks a name change should not be seriously considered, I would not think he was in touch with reality.

Come on, Chancellor Dubois. Do the only thing that makes sense… Change the name. It’s time to be who we really are.

if you look at the UNCC organizational chart, the trustees/board can force their will on the CEO/chancellor Dubois. Its like Mac Everett in football, we need to find the trustee who sees name change as viable and willing shove it down Dubois’ throat. The answer does not lie in Dubois- he is a politician. The trustees are the email boxes we need to bombard, they ultimately point the compass. And we also need to reference Stamats results as fuel for our fire.

if you look at the UNCC organizational chart, the trustees/board can force their will on the CEO/chancellor Dubois. Its like Mac Everett in football, we need to find the trustee who sees name change as viable and willing shove it down Dubois' throat. The answer does not lie in Dubois- he is a politician. The trustees are the email boxes we need to bombard, they ultimately point the compass. And we also need to reference Stamats results as fuel for our fire.
I like it. Sounds like a plan. Where is that thread with the list of the trustees and their pictures and e-mails?

I am driving and cant link, but the trustees’ contact info are at the uncc.edu site under the chancellor’s section.

[QUOTE=49or bust;245081]I like it. Sounds like a plan. Where is that thread with the list of the trustees and their pictures and e-mails?[/QUOTE]
http://www.administration.uncc.edu/board-of-trustees/members.html