Stamats Results

preesh.

Actually tho, I would rather wait and get all our ducks in a row and then proceed with operation “e-storm.” That way our e-mails can all be something of substance instead of just us saying we want the change and backing it up with excerpts from the Statmats study. Also, we can have something ready after the e-mails are sent.

Speaking of information… I’ve always wondered where Erskine Bowles stands on the issue. Perhaps certain members of the campus administration merely mirror his opinion.

Speaking of information... I've always wondered where Erskine Bowles stands on the issue. Perhaps certain members of the campus administration merely mirror his opinion.
Haha I emailed him and he said he'd email me back. I'm still waiting.

Our administration may very well be doing just as you say, but if we make our voice heard, I’m sure we can drown out his.

Haha I emailed him and he said he'd email me back. I'm still waiting.

Our administration may very well be doing just as you say, but if we make our voice heard, I’m sure we can drown out his.

Hey bust-

Maybe you can head a special interest group representing the city! :biggrin:

Hey bust-

Maybe you can head a special interest group representing the city! :biggrin:

I would love to! I am at least trying to head a special interest group representing the students and alumni of Charlotte.

[QUOTE=survivor45;245010]jdm -

It’s not laughable at all. Stamats is pointing out the [I]perception[/I] that people have of the school, not the realities. The views of the area business leaders is shared with the university staff, students, and alumni (and in many cases it’s much worse). I can only imagine how the average person -who has no affiliation whatsoever with the university- feels about us.

The reality is that Charlotte is a very good university.
The perception is that we are a very inferior university.

The question becomes “Why?” It appears that a major reason that each Stamats group has voiced is that the school CHOOSES to place itself in a group of schools such as “The Univesity of Alabama at Tuscaloosa”, "The Univeristy of Maryland at Eastern Shore, “The University of Missouri at Kansas City”, “The University of North Carolina at Asheville (or Pembroke)”, etc. The layman is going to assume that such a university has certain qualities: (1) it prefers to affiliate itself with the land-grant ‘flagship’ university and distances itself from the community or (more commonly) it is a low-brow satellite campus of said flagship and (2) it lacks doctorate programs or a quality education in general.

I seriously doubt that the same results would occur amongst the business leaders, alumni, staff, and students of universities such as “The University of Louisville” or “The University of Cincinnati” or “The University of Memphis” or “The University of Pittsburgh”, etc. The business leaders, faculty, alumni, students and community generally believe that those universities are quality universities (whether it’s actually proven true or not is irrelevant)

Unfortunately, the current university chancellor is such an advocate of the university system that he will most likely turn a blind eye to this issue. I wonder how many faculty lay-offs and Chapel Hill medical schools need to occur before the chancellor decide to become an advocate for US instead.[/QUOTE]

Oh, please don’t get me wrong Survivor… Your assesment is DOBA. Maybe my “sarcastic tone” got in the way of my intended message. What I was aiming at was that it is a sad state of affairs if we get comments such as those from a demographic sub-set that includes “2 chairman/CEO, 2 presidents, 4 vice presidents, 3 directors, 2 attorneys, 1 manager, 1 representative, 8 unknown”. One would think that with titles like that (other than the “unknowns”) we would be able to garner more positive and/or edcuated comments - hoping that one with such a title would be a little more educated about the major University in the Charlotte region… Oh the horror of getting comments from little ol’ John Q Public!

I hope that Mac Everett’s “passion” for this city and in turn, our beloved University, is contagious… (this quote from the Sunday paper and an article that highlights the “city leaders trip to Austin TX”):
“UT is Austin’s crown jewel,” said Mac Everett, past chairman of the Charlotte Chamber. “UNCC can be our crown jewel if we seize the opportunity.”

I’m bored. I pointed out the negatives of the [URL=http://ninernation.net/forum/showpost.php?p=244766&postcount=7]Business Leaders responses[/URL], and now I’ll look at what the employees. It’s always fun to look at what the disgruntled people have to say.

[B][U]Study of Employees - UNC Charlotte[/U][/B]
[URL=http://49ersga.googlegroups.com/web/UNC%20Charlotte%20Employee%20Results.ppt?gda=g5vk5VMAAADiZL9HnonUSD8N3N0vNtyYqh6hfjZHqq883LWRJluuzGG1qiJ7UbTIup-M2XPURDSLbBjs06rTKl4oNKIoYlWf8f47iNdv9EnyI49FQw7OCy2mRKyImcELUBnP8wzyEWg]http://49ersga.googlegroups.com/web/UNC%20Charlotte%20Employee%20Results.ppt?gda=g5vk5VMAAADiZL9HnonUSD8N3N0vNtyYqh6hfjZHqq883LWRJluuzGG1qiJ7UbTIup-M2XPURDSLbBjs06rTKl4oNKIoYlWf8f47iNdv9EnyI49FQw7OCy2mRKyImcELUBnP8wzyEWg[/URL]

[U]Demographics[/U]

46% staff member; 43% faculty member; 11% administrator

[U]Describing UNC Charlotte - Verbatim responses[/U]

“Misunderstood as an academic institution.”
“4th tier commuter college.”
“Suitcase school with no football.”
“It should be called University of Charlotte.”

[U]Perceptions of UNC Charlotte[/U]
Employees rated UNC Charlotte below a 4.0 in all areas. Overall, ratings are much lower than what we typically see. Of utmost concern are those areas below a 3.5, especially in the areas of academic [I]reputation[/I] (3.4), safety of the campus (3.3), and UNC Charlotte offering a [I]fun college experience[/I] (3.1)

[U]UNC Charlotte’s Greatest Weaknesses - verbatim responses[/U]

“Nothing to rally around, no great traditions.”
“Commuter institution…lack of ‘community’ on campus.”
“The name…it sounds like a satellite or branch campus.”
“This is two-fold. First, we have to have a great presence in the city…residents should know about the university. Second, we have to get our activities up to par with a large state school. Many administrative practices that worked 10-15 years ago just don’t work now.”
“Doesn’t have a vibrant campus atmosphere…Doesn’t connect with the Charlotte community."
“No football means in a lot of ways no school sprit.”
“The invisible university.”

[U]Recommending UNC Charlotte[/U]

[I](Verbatim “yes” responses)[/I]
"I love UNC Charlotte and think that it is a great school with lots of potential but it lacks a central rallying image or event. I’m supportive of a football team effort for that reason.”

[I] (Verbatim “no” responses)[/I]
“For academics, absolutely. For college experience, it lacks in spirit and enthusiasm.”
"There is no life here, no sense of a vibrant, dynamic university life. It’s a void- just look at the parking garage on Fridays. Try another University where there’s actually an ‘experience’ to be had.“
“Doesn’t have a vibrant college atmosphere. It’s still very much a commuter college campus.”

[U]Conclusions[/U]

“The University needs to pay close attention to how its employees feel as this will be projected onto students and impact their perceptions toward UNC Charlotte as well”

Conclusion: Everyone on the planet knows that a name change (and football) is necessary but the university doesn’t want to hear it and Stamats doesn’t want to say it.

Dubious doesnt realize this.

I had no idea employees at the university thought the same way…

I have new found respect for Stamats. Even though they were told ahead of time that recommending a name change is not an option, they’re giving us all this ammunition to use in support of a name change.

[QUOTE=NLP;246746]I have new found respect for Stamats. Even though they were told ahead of time that recommending a name change is not an option, they’re giving us all this ammunition to use in support of a name change.[/QUOTE]
I have gathered the same vibe and appreciation. At the very least, they are leaving us with ammo for that push.

I wasn’t sure if this needed its own thread, but does anyone know why CPCC advertises so much more than us? Is that just the way things are done? I’m pretty sure I rarely see other major unis advertising during anything other than their own sporting events.

[QUOTE=NLP;246746]Even though they were told ahead of time that recommending a name change is not an option, they’re giving us all this ammunition to use in support of a name change.[/QUOTE]
It’ll be interesting to see how Chancelor Phil and others address (or ignore) this.

[QUOTE=49or bust;246879]I wasn’t sure if this needed its own thread, but does anyone know why CPCC advertises so much more than us? Is that just the way things are done? I’m pretty sure I rarely see other major unis advertising during anything other than their own sporting events.[/QUOTE]
Since they don’t have sporting events, they have to make their own opportunities. CP is a HUGE system. I seem to recall largest or second largest in the nation. I will be interested to see how advertising… well, can’t change what isn’t there… I guess how advertising increases and the ways they plan to impliment it.

This one was more positive than the [URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showpost.php?p=246719&postcount=47]Study of Employees[/URL] or the [URL=http://www.ninernation.net/forum/showpost.php?p=244766&postcount=7]Study of Business Leaders[/URL]. No mention of football either:

[B][U]Study of Graduate Applicants - UNC Charlotte[/U][/B]
[URL=http://49ersga.googlegroups.com/web/UNC%20Charlotte%20Graduate%20Applicants%20Results.ppt?gda=vudvAV4AAADoq6QkTisHpOfrCyGMeOyAmEg2Mfv712MBDBoiGAZ3rGG1qiJ7UbTIup-M2XPURDSdV8pVl9s39a-WYPT1Uj2S9ZVYv2ix7ZmVxKilQuw3IsajFn3y4Gv05mJM7-a47eE]http://49ersga.googlegroups.com/web/UNC%20Charlotte%20Graduate%20Applicants%20Results.ppt?gda=vudvAV4AAADoq6QkTisHpOfrCyGMeOyAmEg2Mfv712MBDBoiGAZ3rGG1qiJ7UbTIup-M2XPURDSdV8pVl9s39a-WYPT1Uj2S9ZVYv2ix7ZmVxKilQuw3IsajFn3y4Gv05mJM7-a47eE[/URL]

[U]Demographics[/U]

The list of applicants to graduate programs was provided to Stamats by UNC Charlotte

[U]Implications[/U]

UNC Charlotte’s key attributes from which the University should build on include:
-Quality of graduate program
-Quality of faculty as teachers and mentors

Areas in which UNC Charlotte is perceived to be underperforming include:
-Academic reputation of the school

[U]Reasons for Applying to UNC Charlotte[/U]

It speaks well for the University that the second most cited reason for applying to UNC Charlotte, at 40%, is the quality of the academics and programs offered in the graduate studies

[U]Disadvantages in Attending UNC Charlotte - Verbatim responses[/U]

“The facet that it is a branch school, not part of the main campus.”

[U]Conclusions[/U]

Graduate applicants of UNC Charlotte have generally high perceptions of the University, particularly, UNC Charlotte’s key attributes include quality academics and quality of faculty/staff.

The academic reputation is still perceived as weak among these respondents.

In addition, 53% of your applicant pool prefer an institution with a strong foundation in tradition and history.

Conclusion: Lose the “branch campus” image.

“The facet that it is a branch school, not part of the main campus.”
I officially HATE UNC.

[QUOTE] Conclusion: Lose the “branch campus” image.[/QUOTE] HEY JACKASS! - I mean Dubois - guess how we can do this!! :rolleyes::hammer:

are these results ever supposed to go public? if so when?

are these results ever supposed to go public? if so when?
I think it was an option, but now that they point to "HEY JACKASS! CHANGE THE DAMN NAME!!" I kinda think they won't.

[QUOTE=49or bust;248067]I think it was an option, but now that they point to “HEY JACKASS! CHANGE THE DAMN NAME!!” I kinda think they won’t.[/QUOTE]
I think an Observer editor or writer needs the scoop on this google site or the PPT emailed to them, if in fact UNCC is not going public or commenting on what we already know.

I think an Observer editor or writer needs the scoop on this google site or the PPT emailed to them, if in fact UNCC is not going public or commenting on what we already know.

QFT… Where’s April Bethea?