standard English

i frevently hope that if we ever actually become THE UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTTE, the syntax on this board morphs into something that faintly resembles common English usage.
this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with street-talk, hip-hop, cracker-talk, moon-walk, or any other lingo.
i’m not pushing for ‘high lit-er-a-ture’ on here; but if we’re supposed to be a COLLEGE fercryinoutloud, can’t we get the verb to agree with the subject?

I’m guessing you’re not interested in adverbs though.

[QUOTE=NLP;414523]I’m guessing you’re not interested in adverbs though.[/QUOTE]

actually, adverbs is my favorites.

I have been wanting to make this thread for a long time. A bunch of college graduates should know the difference between where, were, and we’re and their, they’re, and there, etc. It drives me crazy. I don’t mind typos, but using an incorrect word or a blatant misspelling is quite another.

Paging Ace! I’ve always think highly of your ability to write. After all, you’re from the “mother ship”. :smile:

[QUOTE=Ninercentral;414525]I have been wanting to make this thread for a long time. A bunch of college graduates should know the difference between where and were and we’re and their they’re and there, etc. It drives me crazy. I don’t mind typos, but using an incorrect word or a blatant misspelling is quite another.[/QUOTE]

exactly!!!
sometimes it’s embarrassing. being a little ‘tight’ or typing too quick(ly) is one thing, but just slaughtering language is another.
and we’re representing THE UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTTE?

[QUOTE=earlyniner;414524]actually, adverbs [B]is[/B] my favorites.[/QUOTE]

nice
+2

i frevently hope that if we ever actually become THE UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTTE, the syntax on this board morphs into something that faintly resembles common English usage. this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with street-talk, hip-hop, cracker-talk, moon-walk, or any other lingo. i'm not pushing for 'high lit-er-a-ture' on here; but if we're supposed to be a COLLEGE fercryinoutloud, can't we get the verb to agree with the subject?
I'm glad you started this thread. Everyone on here needs to know the difference in "their", "there", and "they're"; the difference in "your" and "you're"; etc............ not to mention all the other basic rules of English.

Knowing these basic rules of grammar can make or break your career, regardless of which field you choose.

The problem is so few kids read anymore. The youth are constantly exposed to computer/cell phone/Ipod/laptop screens as opposed to magazines, newspapers, or books. Not to mention short-hand grammar and spelling through text messaging. LOL.

It’s ruining our culture.

I’m officially an old fart.

English is by far the largest language in the world. Isn’t it following form for the language to go short-hand/internet speak? You’re still communicating if the other person knows what you mean.

The problem is so few kids read anymore.
If they don't understand these simple basics, they should never be allowed to pass their classes or graduate.................. or be admitted to a major university. I know that sounds harsh, but it's not exactly rocket science. It's stuff you should have learned somewhere around the 5th, 6th, or 7th grade.
I'm officially an old fart.
I'll be there myself one day.

[QUOTE=earlyniner;414521]i frevently hope that if we ever actually become THE UNIVERSITY OF CHARLOTTE, the syntax on this board morphs into something that faintly resembles common English usage.
this has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with street-talk, hip-hop, cracker-talk, moon-walk, or any other lingo.
i’m not pushing for ‘high lit-er-a-ture’ on here; but if we’re supposed to be a COLLEGE fercryinoutloud, can’t we get the verb to agree with the subject?[/QUOTE]

Siriusly u is totely macon me angry an things. If u didnt wanna reed dis board then y does u clik theyre.

English is by far the largest language in the world. Isn't it following form for the language to go short-hand/internet speak? You're still communicating if the other person knows what you mean.

tru.

I’m going to assume this is a parody thread considering the grammatical errors in the OP.

I personnelly like lucky57’s use of spacebar

In all seriousness though, these are things I honestly remember learning in fourth grade grammar. I don’t think you should be allowed to graduate with a Bachelors without a basic understanding. Different words that mean different things, but sound the same should never be confused by a graduate, or a student. I understand shorthand on the internet, I frequently don’t put in the apostrophe in my contractions and I also may mistype of even (gasp) misspell words.

That is something entirely different than not knowing the correct word to use and using a different one because they sound the same.

Too, to, and two also drives me crazy, but I will be more lenient to dismiss them on the internet if its a to/too issue because it MAY be a typo, but when I read papers or resumes or what have you, it is absolutely sickening to me.

For those of you that missed the lesson, there is a site with some of the more common ones on there. The one’s listed on the page that I have specifically seen here are:

Accept, Except

Effect, Affect

Advice, Advise

It’s, Its

Than, Then

They’re, There, They’re

To, Too, Two

We’re, Where, Were

Your, You’re

There are others I have seen on here which are not on the page, but it is a good starting point. I’m not including this to be funny, or sarcastic, or asinine. I would think you would want to correct your misunderstanding of these things not only for your personal benefit, but as a representative of the university.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_spelhomo.html

They're, There, They're

There is a mistake. But thinking about Niner Nation, they’re not a high strung bunch. No one will waste their time correcting it.

Should never be mistyped in the first place to require a correction. It’s not a typographical error, it’s an error in the ability to use the correct word. Nice breakdown though!

WHOM