Still time to turn the season around?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/04/19/3185964/time-running-out-as-49ers-look.html

The 49ers (16-20, 4-8 Atlantic 10) hit the halfway point of their league schedule last weekend by winning a series at Temple. It was the first conference series victory of the season for the 49ers, the 2011 A-10 champions and preseason favorites for this season’s title. “There’s a sense of urgency – there’s always a sense of urgency,” said Charlotte coach Loren Hibbs, whose team plays Saint Joseph’s (16-21, 6-3) in a weekend series at Hayes Stadium beginning at 6 p.m. Friday. “Nobody is happy where we are now.” Read more here: [url=http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/04/19/3185964/time-running-out-as-49ers-look.html#storylink=cpy]http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/04/19/3185964/time-running-out-as-49ers-look.html#storylink=cpy[/url]

#3rdDecade

Still waiting for the comments from Metro…

To say this season has been a dissapointment would be an understatement. We have struggled in all apsects of the game at some points this season.

I have not given up on the season, but at this point it would take a hell of a run to get back into the NCAA Tourney. As with every year in the A-10, we have to win the Tournament to make the NCAAs.

With 12 conference games left, we sit 3 games out of the A-10 Tourney, and 4 games out of a 1st round bye. Our remaining opponents are St Joes, St. Louis, GW, and St. Bona, so the schedule is easier than the front half. The way I see it, we have to sweep the bottom feeders (GW, SBU) on the road and win the home series’ with SJU and STL. That would put us at 14-10 in conference. Probably not good enough for a 2 seed, but good enough to make the tourney. The 6 seed in last years tourney was 13-11 and X was a 4 seed with a 14-10 record.

I have heard that some of our injured guys may be back this weekend for SJU, so that is good news.

Good article. I think if we can qualify for the A10 Tourney, we can win it. The logic is simple. If we play well enough to work our way into the top 6, we will be playing well enough to win the tourney, even without a first round bye.

I think we are currently in 11th place, with only St Bonnie and Temple below us. I think that will change soon.

Niners won yesterday 7-2 to even series. Yermal moves into a tie for 2nd most wins by a 49er.

Shane Brown is back this weekend along with Brad Elwood who has been out for over a month. It looks like the offense is starting to click.

Big game today as we have to win this home series.

Sunday’s game rained out. It was kinda funny, UH-HUH was standing in the pouring rain yelling at St. Joe’s players “IT AIN’T GONNA RAIN!!!” and “YOU BOYS GOT LUCKY!” and generally giving them a hard time. :))

I’d imagine if it was a team in our “backyard” i.e. CH, Winthrop, Davidson, etc. they’d have tried to wait it out…but because of SJU’s travel they decided to call it. Looking outside now no rain…they couldn’t have held up for another 90 minutes or so?

According to one of the SJU parents, they had to start by 2:00 in order to make their flight. I don’t know what the league’s policy is on this. I am sure everyone agreed on a rainout/ travel policy prior to the season.

According to one of the SJU parents, they had to start by 2:00 in order to make their flight. I don’t know what the league’s policy is on this. I am sure everyone agreed on a rainout/ travel policy prior to the season.[/quote]

definitely thought that had something to do with it…

League policy states games on Sunday have to begin by 2. This is not our 1st rainout on Sunday due to that rule.

We really needed a win today. We are almost going to have to win the remainder of our conference games to make the tourney.

We gave the game away on Friday night in a game we should have won.

We looked like a brand new team on Saturday as Joe Yermal tied Tim Collie for the 2nd most all time wins by a Niner.

Thanks for that tidbit 49r9r.

[quote=“49r9r, post:13, topic:26691”]We gave the game away on Friday night in a game we should have won.

We looked like a brand new team on Saturday as Joe Yermal tied Tim Collie for the 2nd most all time wins by a Niner.[/quote]

Yep, that Friday game hurts.

With 9 conference games left, we still are 3 games out of the Tournament, and 4 games out of getting the 2 seed.

For the record, If Yermal were to win out, he would break the school’s all time wins record. This streak includes starts at GW, at Georgia Tech, at home against Saint Louis, and at Home against St. Bonnaventure. If we make the postseason, he’d have a little better shot.

Anyone headed out there tomorrow?

I’ll be there.

Niners take on Duke tonight at the Hayes. Barnette gets the start since he missed his with the rainout on Sunday.

With it being cold tonight, I wonder how many pitches Hibbs will let Tyler throw. I’m sure they want him well rested for Sunday. We need a sweep this weekend.