Student Falls to Death

We were talking about the high rises and students dying not too long ago. This happened today. Tragic.

[URL=http://www.charlotte.com/115/story/55897.html]http://www.charlotte.com/115/story/55897.html[/URL]

Anyone know her?

yeah I saw that. Well not the falling. but I saw the cops and the medics out there. I’ve heard rumors that she was depressed cause of her bf or something, but then others saying she was on drugs… But I doubt any of that holds water, since there are just rumors.

Am I correct in assuming that the top floors of Sanford are sorority?

Sad story. Can’t imagine being a parent and getting news like that. Heartbreaking, regardless of the circumstances

yeah I saw that. Well not the falling. but I saw the cops and the medics out there. I've heard rumors that she was depressed cause of her bf or something, but then others saying she was on drugs... But I doubt any of that holds water, since there are just rumors.

Am I correct in assuming that the top floors of Sanford are sorority?

Yes…I believe so.

yup…10th floor, Sigma Kappa, she was withdrawing from classes and moving back home on Tuesday

Wow man… that is just crazy. No wonder they gave me such a hard time for my window violations. I hope all the kids living in the highrises can take it well.

it happened twice when i was at the school bust. It’s sad but its going to happen anywhere. Best solution. only allow the windows to open a certain distance.

it happened twice when i was at the school bust. It's sad but its going to happen anywhere. Best solution. only allow the windows to open a certain distance.
Its true, I just know I would have hated to have my windows done like that cause it was really nice having that much window open. But of course, if it could save lives it is good idea in the end.

The thing that annoys me is people should be competent enough not to fall out of those windows. You either have to do it intentionally, be pushed, or be pretty dumb to fall out of those windows IMO.

Its true, I just know I would have hated to have my windows done like that cause it was really nice having that much window open. But of course, if it could save lives it is good idea in the end.

The thing that annoys me is people should be competent enough not to fall out of those windows. You either have to do it intentionally, be pushed, or be pretty dumb to fall out of those windows IMO.

wait you guys are actually believing the politically correct, “fell” term?

lets not get into that, if you weren’t there or dont know besides any rumor. there is a topic about this on party49ers and it makes me want to vomit. people are so stupid and disrespectful…no matter how it happened or what happened, rumors dont help anything and we dont know. and no, i didn’t know her at all.

I was in Moore in 02-03 school year when a guy did the same. He was handcuffed due to drugs in his dorm. His window was open and he jumped. I think it was the 11th floor that year. I remeber because it happened the Friday before spring break.

A girl jumped from the 9th floor of Scott in 1995. I could see it being possible that somebody could fall out of the window, but if they did they were being extremely careless or as others said, got pushed. The other scenarios are far more likely.

As long as those windows open as wide as they do, there is going to be trouble. In my time in Moore it was a common thing for someone to climb outside of the window onto a ledge, especially if they were drunk or high. I even remember some guys setting up some ropes and repelling down the side around 3AM. In 95 a group of athletes were thrown off campus for having a party on the outside ledge of the window. They have always been trouble, not just for sucicidal cases.

On the contrary, I currently live right near another state University where the dorm windows open just enough to get some fresh air in. No one has ever fallen or jumped out there.

lets not get into that, if you weren't there or dont know besides any rumor. there is a topic about this on party49ers and it makes me want to vomit. people are so stupid and disrespectful..no matter how it happened or what happened, rumors dont help anything and we dont know. and no, i didn't know her at all.

I saw that thread in their lounge. No class at all. I can’t believe the moderators even leave it up…

Nothing will make you appreciate NNN more than party49ers.

We were talking about the high rises and students dying not too long ago. This happened today. Tragic.

http://www.charlotte.com/115/story/55897.html

Anyone know her?

I remember discussing this a while back. At the time, I didn’t realize it was so common…

This is really sad. And, wish her family peace & healing.

Maybe they should get rid of the high-rises after all.

I lived in Scott last year. Some well placed chicken wire or industrial strength screening might help, but would be ugly. I don’t know if the windows could be permanently restrained. Plus I know some college kids that are small enough to get through anyway.

I was in Moore in 02-03 school year when a guy did the same. He was handcuffed due to drugs in his dorm. His window was open and he jumped. I think it was the 11th floor that year. I remeber because it happened the Friday before spring break.

Yes, it was the 11th floor. I lived in the room next to the room that kid jumped out, one year later. He jumped out of the side that looks out over 49 and landed in the bushes below so he lived. Pretty sure he wasn’t hurt at all.

I remember discussing this a while back. At the time, I didn't realize it was so common...

This is really sad. And, wish her family peace & healing.

Maybe they should get rid of the high-rises after all.

It is sad, but I don’t know that it warrants getting rid of the highrises. In the end, it might probably be a good idea to make the windows only open enough so that kids can’t get out there, but even that bugs me a little.

I dislike this notion that if someone dies doing something, we need to get rid of or ruin it so that others don’t die. People die, it’s just a fact. It seems that there are some crazy instenses where a person or a few people die and they ruin the whole thing that killed the person(s). Don’t get me wrong, there are several instenses where something needs to be done, but many times it is just rediculous. To me, this instense is borderline.

Like I said, you have to be a total klutz, be pushed, or go out intentionally to fall out of these windows. Just because of this, I don’t think we should ruin the window space for all the rest of our students by making them only open partially.

I lived in Scott last year. Some well placed chicken wire or industrial strength screening might help, but would be ugly. I don't know if the windows could be permanently restrained. Plus I know some college kids that are small enough to get through anyway.

mine was permanently locked shut and we broke the locks because it was sooooooooo hot in the dorm during the winter we couldn’t stand it