Student Union Construction

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;320026]stumbled across this, it is the presentation the architects gave for the interview process I believe. Take note of how much money is put towards other University Student Unions and then take a look at our #… Just saying.

[URL=http://www.fwagroup.com/presentations/acui_2007/02-a.html]http://www.fwagroup.com/presentations/acui_2007/01-a.html[/URL]

The last part of the presentation has a slideshow with some images that I believe have not been posted on here.[/QUOTE]

Good find.

I also noticed some conceptual plans for Craver Road on the facilities page. From these plans (plan sheet 2) it looks like they are cutting off vehicular traffic out on front of the new union. Anyone know if this is what the final plan is?

http://facilities.uncc.edu/Planning/Website%20Information/Circulation%20Master%20Plan/Final%20Plan%202005-07/APPENDIX%20C_Craver%20Diagrams.pdf

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;320066]I also noticed some conceptual plans for Craver Road on the facilities page. From these plans (plan sheet 2) it looks like they are cutting off vehicular traffic out on front of the new union. Anyone know if this is what the final plan is?

[media]http://facilities.uncc.edu/Planning/Website%20Information/Circulation%20Master%20Plan/Final%20Plan%202005-07/APPENDIX%20C_Craver%20Diagrams.pdf[/media][/QUOTE]

Wow, I had not seen that… That makes sense for pedestrians, but sucks for traffic…

Good find.

I also noticed some conceptual plans for Craver Road on the facilities page. From these plans (plan sheet 2) it looks like they are cutting off vehicular traffic out on front of the new union. Anyone know if this is what the final plan is?

http://facilities.uncc.edu/Planning/Website%20Information/Circulation%20Master%20Plan/Final%20Plan%202005-07/APPENDIX%20C_Craver%20Diagrams.pdf

All I know is I have seen the area infront of the student union (where its entrance and the road now exist), called a student plaza. In the drawings they make it seem larger than what it appeared to be when I drove by on Sunday. So are they going to tear up that road and make it pedestrian? I couldn’t tell you, but if they do that, it could possibly become a cluster**** through there. Coming from the baseball stadium wouldn’t be bad b/c the road isn’t that long or servicing anything but the buildings (no parking lots, dorms, etc.), but from the other end there’s Phase 5, and teacher parking (altho one can reach phase 5 by entering a drive across from the facilities building that takes you into the parking lot past Witherspoon). I may be in the minority but if they could, without loosing parking for teachers/students etc. (for Burson, Coll. of Ed., etc.), would love to see Craver Rd. removed and completely become a pedestrian avenue (you’d still be able to access it with a vehicle for maitenance reasons, just like in other areas of campus).

Looking at page 3 of what you posted looks like traffic would primarily be for facilities and is diverted into the service areas of those buildings there, THAT COULD BE BAD!

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;320070]All I know is I have seen the area infront of the student union (where its entrance and the road now exist), called a student plaza. In the drawings they make it seem larger than what it appeared to be when I drove by on Sunday. So are they going to tear up that road and make it pedestrian? I couldn’t tell you, but if they do that, it could possibly become a cluster**** through there. Coming from the baseball stadium wouldn’t be bad b/c the road isn’t that long or servicing anything but the buildings (no parking lots, dorms, etc.), but from the other end there’s Phase 5, and teacher parking (altho one can reach phase 5 by entering a drive across from the facilities building that takes you into the parking lot past Witherspoon). I may be in the minority but if they could, without loosing parking for teachers/students etc. (for Burson, Coll. of Ed., etc.), would love to see Craver Rd. removed and completely become a pedestrian avenue (you’d still be able to access it with a vehicle for maitenance reasons, just like in other areas of campus).

Looking at page 3 of what you posted looks like traffic would primarily be for facilities and is diverted into the service areas of those buildings there, THAT COULD BE BAD![/QUOTE]

I guess we only call it bad because we are used to driving there. It would be nice for them to expand pedestrian areas over across that road so that eventually the dorms will tie into the campus more. That will also keep the new union from feeling like it’s on the edge of the active campus. It could be a good move, it will just take getting used to.

I guess we only call it bad because we are used to driving there. It would be nice for them to expand pedestrian areas over across that road so that eventually the dorms will tie into the campus more. That will also keep the new union from feeling like it's on the edge of the active campus. It could be a good move, it will just take getting used to.

I don’t think it would take any getting used to with the proper execution. By looking at what is shown it just seems like they will just blow through with a rather large sidewalk to bisect the roadway, without little consideration to the traffic pattern, that would be a very bad move.

If executed properly it would be a very good move. I just don’t see that yet, although it is still early. Let’s just say, IMO, I do not have much faith that it will be done properly, with the way the school tends to handle matters like this.

follow the link... at the end of the presentation there is a slideshow of images.
My bad... I was up there the other day and was just posting about it, hadn't seen the link above my post.

I say they build us a tunnel for the cars to go in so that they dont have to pass in front of the student union!

okay - really bad idea but amusing to think about…

I don’t think they are removing the road, they are just going to add sidewalks to both sides and make the road bus only (and maintenance vehicles).

[URL=http://studentunion.uncc.edu/]Student Union website[/URL]

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;320066]Good find.

[media]http://facilities.uncc.edu/Planning/Website%20Information/Circulation%20Master%20Plan/Final%20Plan%202005-07/APPENDIX%20C_Craver%20Diagrams.pdf[/media][/QUOTE]

From the PDF it looks like the are just going to add raised crosswalks. So they will be built in speed bumps and a crosswalk forcing people to slow before they get to the high foot traffic area. Its a good idea IMO.

[QUOTE=Jackrabbit49er;320149]From the PDF it looks like the are just going to add raised crosswalks. So they will be built in speed bumps and a crosswalk forcing people to slow before they get to the high foot traffic area. Its a good idea IMO.[/QUOTE]

The plans note mandatory turn lanes for everything except buses and bikes. There will be different textured material, like stamped concrete or something marking the resrticted area.

[QUOTE=Mr. Bojangles;320151]The plans note mandatory turn lanes for everything except buses and bikes. There will be different textured material, like stamped concrete or something marking the resrticted area.[/QUOTE]

I see that. Didn’t help I was looking at the wrong section too for some reason.

Student Union?
What about Student Confederates? LOL.

I don't think they are removing the road, they are just going to add sidewalks to both sides and make the road bus only (and maintenance vehicles).

I can’t wait to see this get enforced.

To me, the key to this Student Unions ultimate success is if Commuter Students use it and it thus draws them closer to the University.

…And if it becomes a pre and post game place for Alumni during football games!:biggrin:

[QUOTE=49RFootballNow;320186]To me, the key to this Student Unions ultimate success is if Commuter Students use it and it thus draws them closer to the University.

…And if it becomes a pre and post game place for Alumni during football games!:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

That whole quad area and the student union would be a perfect place to gather after basketball games right now. It would be a good place for pep rallies too.

That whole quad area and the student union would be a perfect place to gather after basketball games right now. It would be a good place for pep rallies too.

That would take way too much advertisement, marketing, and thought process for our Athl. Dept. It would probably put them over their budget of $40 for the two signs they put out on 49 and 29, for men’s basketball games.

not to jack the thread, but I didnt really find this question threadworthy... anyone know whats going on down at the track? Looks like they are trying to black out the endzone area closest to philips road by putting some sort of black covering over the fence (similar to that used in sedimentation walls) - is there some sort of work being done? or did I miss something?

re-rubberizing the track.

that is a great idea. especially because it happens to be my favorite part of campus :biggrin:

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;320241]That would take way too much advertisement, marketing, and thought process for our Athl. Dept. It would probably put them over their budget of $40 for the two signs they put out on 49 and 29, for men’s basketball games.[/QUOTE]

:huh:

It would take a group of dedicated students, such as the ones found in NNG, to start a little commotion and get people out there. It can happen, it just takes effort.