Students - Vote Tomorrow...

[color=green]itsbraille49, you’re just reiterating my point. Being the Student Body President means you have to be a leader with motivation and be the one making changes. Not getting help from others or getting others to do your dirty work. President is the highest authority, there shouldn’t be anyone telling them what to do, they should be telling others. Surrounding yourself with others is just another way of saying I have no idea what to do.

Ninerballin, you honestly think someone who goes all the games is doing something else also? I’m pretty sure the NNG President i.e., who goes to all athletic events isn’t doing any other serious club on campus. There’s no way someone can go to every athletic game for every team and still be involved significantly. And w/ the whole Duke thing, it got blown up. It’s not like he wears Duke gear on campus or is a huge fan–he could’ve just forgot to get out the group when coming to UNCC or something. Gill, the winner is announced tomorrow Student Union at 12:30.

I also heard that Perry wants to get rid of tailgating!

So by your logic every President in the history of everything who had advisors was a weak leader? If you don’t have people behind you who are you really leading?

I have yet to say anything about Craven, and I won’t, as an alum I’m not as up to speed on the race. You could have just come on here and pimped your friend and no one would have cared, but you just decided to make up false information about a qualified candidate and my friend to make your guy look better, if you just admit that, I’ll forget this happened.

[color=green]Having advisors is a necessity. You just made it seem like Perry would be dependent solely on others. I didn’t make up any false information, everything I’ve said has some truth to it–whether you like it or not. And you just lied by saying you haven’t said anything about Craven, earlier you wrote: “She’s not the one who lied about having an endorsement from the whole basketball team.” So you’re the one making false claims.

[quote=“GreenWhite12, post:41, topic:25203”][color=green]itsbraille49, you’re just reiterating my point. Being the Student Body President means you have to be a leader with motivation and be the one making changes. Not getting help from others or getting others to do your dirty work. President is the highest authority, there shouldn’t be anyone telling them what to do, they should be telling others. Surrounding yourself with others is just another way of saying I have no idea what to do.

Ninerballin, you honestly think someone who goes all the games is doing something else also? I’m pretty sure the NNG President i.e., who goes to all athletic events isn’t doing any other serious club on campus. There’s no way someone can go to every athletic game for every team and still be involved significantly. And w/ the whole Duke thing, it got blown up. It’s not like he wears Duke gear on campus or is a huge fan–he could’ve just forgot to get out the group when coming to UNCC or something. Gill, the winner is announced tomorrow Student Union at 12:30.

I also heard that Perry wants to get rid of tailgating![/quote]

If you believe the bolded statement then you have no hope.

Also, leaders do need to take advice and opinions from others. Trying to do everything yourself is called micromanaging and I’m pretty sure everyone on this board knows that it doesn’t work.
And your comments about how going to athletic games means you are not involved in the campus enough is a complete lie, thanks for making yourself look stupid, now I don’t have to do it.

I have looked at Dave’s website and I have looked at his platform. His is stance on school spirit is to “paint the town green.” WTF does that mean??? Thats really fuc#ing specific.

How about on branding the University, here is a direct quote from the platform on FB(because the website is down already):

“Our University is an outstanding institution, full of great people, memorable places, and exciting opportunities. Our marketing strategy has not always lived up to the reality that is UNC Charlotte. Many students have proposed changing the name of the University. Others have suggested logo and seal changes. Neither of these approaches addresses the root of the problem: many people still view UNC Charlotte as a commuter campus or a suitcase school. These stereotypes began to change with the implementation of the “Stake Your Claim” campaign, but until popular opinion alters them, no amount of branding or marketing will make any difference. As Student Body President and Vice President, Dave Craven and Amanda Markham will fight to make sure University marketing and branding lives up to the promise of UNC Charlotte and conveys the greatness of the place we are privileged to call home.”

Now tell me what tangible changes you see in this paragraph. Tell me what action items he has!! There are none!!!

I would try to disprove your arguments using logic but you have shown yourself that your logic is flawed.
I’m not really into throwing direct personal attacks but you are pushing my buttons.

I forgot to mention something. Nobody on this board uses the “UNCC” name, please educate yourself on the proper name (UNC Charlotte). Want to change perceptions about the University? Well start by not using this improper abbreviation.

False claims? That was not a false claim, I’ll claim the same as well.
As a student do you read the UTimes? lol

[color=green]I was talking about Braille. He said that he hadn’t said anything about Craven–a false claim. But, the whole b-ball incident is up to debate, and the tailgating. I do read the newspaper. Every week infact–day it comes out. Did you honestly think I didn’t know about about ‘UNCC’ not being proper. It’s not like it matters tho since the majority of people use that abbreviation, including the system. Since you’re so passionate about it, you should make a committee with Perry telling people the proper way. Rather than sitting here and saying no one uses it on this board, which few students know about. Btw, I said someone who goes to all athletic events aren’t involved enough in campus. In that statement, Craven talked about improving the University’s branding and marketing. Marketing is a key issue this university has.

You seem to be well informed.

[quote=“GreenWhite12, post:43, topic:25203”][color=green]Having advisors is a necessity. You just made it seem like Perry would be dependent solely on others. I didn’t make up any false information, everything I’ve said has some truth to it–whether you like it or not. And you just lied by saying you haven’t said anything about Craven, earlier you wrote: “She’s not the one who lied about having an endorsement from the whole basketball team.” So you’re the one making false claims.

But, the whole b-ball incident is up to debate[/quote]

I mispoke, I meant that I haven’t said anything about him as a candidate(such as his platforms). Technically gravity and evolution are only theories, would you like to debate me about those too? You probably have a better case against those than the incident with the basketball team.

Student gov’t is serious business, ya’ll.

This is a lot of bickering for nothing, since not many students in the grand scheme of things read this board.

How much do student body presidents do anyway? Usually not a whole lot that effect the students overall. It’s more of a -“look at me, I’m on the BOT, and man, this is going to look good on my resume” - than a position that effectuates real change.

Feel free to disprove me, but in my four years of college I don’t know a damn thing SBA did that impacted me.

[quote=“Ninercentral, post:51, topic:25203”]How much do student body presidents do anyway? Usually not a whole lot that effect the students overall. It’s more of a -“look at me, I’m on the BOT, and man, this is going to look good on my resume” - than a position that effectuates real change.

Feel free to disprove me, but in my four years of college I don’t know a damn thing SBA did that impacted me.[/quote]

While I don’t intend to disprove you, nor do I believe this will change your mind, I do disagree with that statement.

It is true that a lot of what a SBP does is politic, but in my experience they have always gotten things done. When we started NNG, it wouldn’t of been possible without the SGA and SBP. Same with football, while CFI did most of the pushing, there was red tape that CFI would never of been able to cut through without the SBP.

There are a lot of other initiatives that SBP has worked on that may have failed or may have worked, but I would argue that unless you stayed plugged into campus news, you probably never really felt/saw a direct impact. But that is a problem everywhere, not just on our campus. Its probably why there is typically such a small turnout for SGA elections.

Here is the excerpt again:

“Our University is an outstanding institution, full of great people, memorable places, and exciting opportunities. Our marketing strategy has not always lived up to the reality that is UNC Charlotte. Many students have proposed changing the name of the University. Others have suggested logo and seal changes. Neither of these approaches addresses the root of the problem: many people still view UNC Charlotte as a commuter campus or a suitcase school. These stereotypes began to change with the implementation of the “Stake Your Claim” campaign, but until popular opinion alters them, no amount of branding or marketing will make any difference. As Student Body President and Vice President, Dave Craven and Amanda Markham will fight to make sure University marketing and branding lives up to the promise of UNC Charlotte and conveys the greatness of the place we are privileged to call home.”

So Dave makes claims that anyone can make. He doesn’t offer solutions, just says that he and Amanda will “fight” for it to change. I asked for action items, as in things he will do. In this excerpt he shoots down the name change idea and logo change ideas which has a fair basis but doesn’t give an alternative. He is giving problems that we know exist without tangible solutions.

Same here.

Duke fan frat boy? Sounds like a winner.

Now now guys, I’m sure he’s a really nice, down to earth, not at all douchey guy… Just like all the other frat boy Duke fans at Charlotte… ::slight_smile:

So who won this dang election? Its over now isn’t it?

Craven/Markham

Great. A Duke fan who doesn’t think we need a name change is in charge. Way to go student body…

Results are insignificant. Speaking from 3 years of SGA experience, it is very, very difficult to get anything of substance done as a student leader. SGA passes all kinds of meaningless, unenforceable legislation, but something big like the name change or football takes support (both monetary and vocal) from an entire university community including alums and admins.

The amount of red-tape at this university is astounding (as I’m sure it is throughout all bureaucracies). Point is, nothing significant is going to change until there is a new administration in place that believes in the future of the university as a flagship, not a step-child. Someone who understands the need for our own identity and the importance of establishing a name for ourselves among the average joes of Charlotte.

Phil got coaxed into football. A name change is going to be incredibly more polarizing than football ever was. Ain’t going to happen on his watch. Apparently, neither is a medical school.

Nothing a student body prez can say or do is going to change how Phil and his people think or act, and all the “real” change starts and ends with him.