Sweirad's Call

If I didn’t knw any better I would have thought Spitzer loaned Matt one of his ladies rent free for the evening as fired up as he was. He about stroked out the last 10 seconds, it was Jagler-esq

Thought it was cool that Joe Lunardi joined Matt for a while during the 2nd half.

I think it’s time we cut Sweirad some slack. He does a good job. He’s committed to the program. He does a very good job with the facts. He was very quick with Lunardi in an impromptu situation. I wish it was time where we could afford a color guy for him. I think the broadcast would be better.

I think it's time we cut Sweirad some slack. He does a good job. He's committed to the program. He does a very good job with the facts. He was very quick with Lunardi in an impromptu situation. I wish it was time where we could afford a color guy for him. I think the broadcast would be better.

A color guy would help. And I agree he needs slack (except for unplugging the CSTV feed last night). After listening to other commentators, they cannot even read the roster names in front of them. We’ve had Dewberry, Atwon Goldmire, Leewire Goldmire, Cooley, Wilderness confused for Harris, Coley confused for Harris (seriously, can you not see the height difference?), Dewhurst confused with Ian, etc…

Sweirad seems a little more on top of his game…just wish he didn’t work for a two watt outfit that broadcast with tin foil and chicken wire.

[QUOTE=Normmm;304568]I think it’s time we cut Sweirad some slack. He does a good job. He’s committed to the program. He does a very good job with the facts. He was very quick with Lunardi in an impromptu situation. I wish it was time where we could afford a color guy for him. I think the broadcast would be better.[/QUOTE]

As long as it isn’t Gary Williams… He likes to hear the sound of his voice too much.

A color guy would be huge. Lunardi is good on the St Joes broadcast, he and Czaban are a solid combo… Jus think, had 610 had any talent evaluation skills perhaps Czaban would still be here, calling our games. (nothing against Matt).

As long as it isn't Gary Williams.. He likes to hear the sound of his voice too much.

A color guy would be huge. Lunardi is good on the St Joes broadcast, he and Czaban are a solid combo… Jus think, had 610 had any talent evaluation skills perhaps Czaban would still be here, calling our games. (nothing against Matt).

The same Steve Czaban does St Joes games? I didn’t know that. I loved Czaban. But I have to admit he seems to have a hard time keeping a job. There has to be a reason.

[QUOTE=Normmm;304590]The same Steve Czaban does St Joes games? I didn’t know that. I loved Czaban. But I have to admit he seems to have a hard time keeping a job. There has to be a reason.[/QUOTE]

I butchered my post, it reads a hell of a lot different than I intended… I should just delte it.

I meant to have two different thoughts that I smashed together with a horrible cut and paste where the paste never happened. I was going to go over the St. Joes team of Lunardi McCarthy and transition into having Czaban at 610… I left out about 2 important sentences that would have helped make sense of it.

I’m an idot.

[QUOTE=s9er;304597]I’m an idot.[/QUOTE]

Is an “idot” a step below an “idiot”? :smile:

Matt has two problems:

1. he is following a fan favorite who nearly everyone loved to hear.
  2. he is broadcast on WFNZ/WFNA

Reality of the situation:

1. Matt has improved SIGNIFICANTLY during his time as play-by-play man
  2. the broadcast would be much better if there was a color person joining him*
  • provided the color person is not FNZ’s Gary Williams. IMO, he is highly overrated.

[QUOTE=s9er;304516]If I didn’t knw any better I would have thought Spitzer loaned Matt one of his ladies rent free for the evening as fired up as he was. He about stroked out the last 10 seconds, it was Jagler-esq[/QUOTE]

You probably heard the call replayed this morning on the Morning Sports Page but for those who missed it. They played the clip of the last 6 seconds where Matt Swierad goes absolutely crazy when Gerrity gets fouled with .3 left, then his call as time runs out. They then played Bobby’s comment in postgame where he says to go wake up Jim Celania (co-host) of the morning show for those who didn’t know.

It was played at 8:10 AM, which is primetime and there’s thousands of ACC homers in town. Good stuff!

[QUOTE=SilvioDante;304615]Is an “idot” a step below an “idiot”? :smile:[/QUOTE]

idot is only 80% idiot… I have that going for me, which is nice.

Is an "idot" a step below an "idiot"? :smile:

Matt has two problems:

1. he is following a fan favorite who nearly everyone loved to hear.
  2. he is broadcast on WFNZ/WFNA

Reality of the situation:

1. Matt has improved SIGNIFICANTLY during his time as play-by-play man
  2. the broadcast would be much better if there was a color person joining him*
  • provided the color person is not FNZ’s Gary Williams. IMO, he is highly overrated.

I just think we need to get over Jagler. I loved him too. But he’s gone. I wonder how much it would cost to have a color guy. I actually think we can afford it. But the semantics of that position is what makes it difficult. Sweirad has his baseball gig to keep his season full. But the color guy for us could probably get paid relative to Sweirads pay, but it wouldn’t be enough for a full time job. So, if it’s not a full time position, then who can afford to take enough time off from their “real job” to travel with the team.

I think somebody else in the media is the best option. I.e. somebody like Lunardi for St Joes. Maybe we offer it to Bob Gibbons. :biggrin: Also, I noticed that the Sporting News is moving to Charlotte. Maybe somebody from there.

[QUOTE=Normmm;304630]I just think we need to get over Jagler. I loved him too. But he’s gone. I wonder how much it would cost to have a color guy. I actually think we can afford it. But the semantics of that position is what makes it difficult. Sweirad has his baseball gig to keep his season full. But the color guy for us could probably get paid relative to Sweirads pay, but it wouldn’t be enough for a full time job. So, if it’s not a full time position, then who can afford to take enough time off from their “real job” to travel with the team.

I think somebody else in the media is the best option. I.e. somebody like Lunardi for St Joes. Maybe we offer it to Bob Gibbons. :biggrin: Also, I noticed that the Sporting News is moving to Charlotte. Maybe somebody from there.[/QUOTE]

What about our very own legend Mr. Henry Williams. May be keeping it [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]GREEN[/COLOR][/B] should be the way to go.

What’s Hersey Hawkins doing? He did a lot of our C-SET games our last year in CUSA.

What about our very own legend Mr. Henry Williams. May be keeping it [B][COLOR=DarkGreen]GREEN[/COLOR][/B] should be the way to go.

Is he not still doing the Bobcats games?

Didn’t Henry Williams fill in from time to time?

Is he not still doing the Bobcats games?

he is.

[QUOTE=Normmm;304635]Is he not still doing the Bobcats games?[/QUOTE]

I know his schedule is filled. But, having him would be alot of fun. Besides, I’m sure he likes to stop by and check out his jersey from time to time.:smile:

[URL=http://www.nba.com/bobcats/broadcast_070601.html]http://www.nba.com/bobcats/broadcast_070601.html[/URL]

I know his schedule is filled. But, having him would be alot of fun. Besides, I'm sure he likes to stop by and check out his jersey from time to time.:smile:

http://www.nba.com/bobcats/broadcast_070601.html

Would love to have him. He would be the perfect person. I just don’t think we can pay him what the Bobcats pay him.

[QUOTE=Normmm;304646]Would love to have him. He would be the perfect person. I just don’t think we can pay him what the Bobcats pay him.[/QUOTE]
Best moment ever on a Bobcats broadcast was Henry clowning Cornbread during a Bobcats-Celtics game… “He knows who the all-time leading scorer for the 49ers is… look at him… he’s thinking about it right now, I bet.”

Classic.

Need color guy at least for home games. It used to be that way. Gary Williams, Lane Odom, Henry all did it.

Doesn’t Dave Telep (recruiting guy) live in Charlotte and do some games for CSTV? How about that connection.